It was President Obama's final turn at the mic Saturday night in what was his last White House Correspondents' Dinner, and the jokes were rolling. Ten standouts from the president, who spoke to a crowd that included a slew of politicians and plenty of Hollywood's finest: Bryan Cranston, Carrie Fisher, Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Jared Leto, Helen Mirren, Rachel McAdams, and more. The best lines, as reported by Politico and NBC News:
- "It’s an honor to be at my last, and perhaps the last correspondents’ dinner. You all look great; the end of the Republic has never looked better."
- "I know I was a little late tonight. I was running on CPT—which stands for jokes that white people should not make."
- "Bernie, you look like a million bucks. Or to put it in terms you understand, you look like 37,000 donations of $27 each."
- "Last week Prince George showed up to our meeting in his bathrobe. That was a slap in the face."
- "Guests were asked if they wanted steak or fish, and a whole bunch of you wrote in Paul Ryan."
- Ted Cruz "went to Hoosier country, called the hoop a basketball ring. What else is in his lexicon? Baseball sticks? Football hats? But sure, I’m the foreign one."
- "In my final year my approval ratings keep going up. The last time I was this high, I was trying to decide on my major.”
- Winding down his speech, thus far free of Donald Trump references: "Well let me conclude tonight on a more serious note. I want to thank the Washington press corps. The free press is central to our democracy and … nah! I'm just kidding! You know I'm gonna talk about Trump! Come on!."
- "Is this dinner too tacky for The Donald? What could he possibly be doing instead? Is he at home, eating a Trump steak, tweeting out insults to Angela Merkel?"
- "There's one area where Donald's experience could be invaluable, and that's closing Guantanamo. Because Trump knows a thing or two about running waterfront properties into the ground."
The evening's professional entertainer, Larry Wilmore, was said to "underwhelm."
(Read more President Obama