Melania Trump took a starring role at the Republican National Convention on Monday night, ending what Julia Ioffe at Politico reports has been two months spent out of the "public eye." She was introduced by husband Donald, who was incredibly restrained in his comments, saying simply, "It is my great honor to present the next first lady of the United States: my wife, an amazing mother, an incredible woman, Melania Trump." Among the standout lines in her roughly 15-minute speech:
- "When it comes to my husband, I will say that I'm definitely biased and for good reason. I have been with Donald for 18 years and have been aware of his love for this country since we first met."
- "I traveled the world while working hard in the incredible arena of fashion.
I arrived in New York City 20 years ago and saw both the joys and hardships of daily life. ... In July 2006 i was very proud to become citizen [sic] of the United States, the greatest privilege on planet Earth."
- "If you want someone to fight for you and your country, I can assure you, he's the guy. He will never never give up, and most importantly, he will never never let you down."
- "His kindness is not always noted, but it is there for all to see. That is one reason I fell in love with him to begin with."
- "Donald intends to represent all of the people, not just some of the people. That includes Christians and Jews and Muslims, it includes Hispanics and African-Americans and Asians, and the poor and the middle class."
(Read more Melania Trump