US /

Kids Try to Roast Marshmallows, End Up Hospitalized

They used rubbing alcohol to create a flame
By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 16, 2017 7:10 PM CST
Kids Try to Roast Marshmallows, End Up Hospitalized
Stock photo.   (Getty Images / pmcdonald)

A North Carolina brother and sister, 8 and 12, wanted to roast marshmallows over the weekend but instead ended up in the hospital with severe burns. The children, along with one other sibling, tried to use a lighter, pan, and rubbing alcohol to heat the marshmallows when things went very wrong. "The bottle went flying the other way and then the juice or the alcohol went flying toward my brother and sister, and they caught on fire," the uninjured sibling, who was standing farther away, tells WBRC. A Goldsboro Police Department spokesperson tells People that "something got in the way" of the flame and caused "the fire to get out of hand."

The kids' mom, Lashandra Moore, ran to help when she saw her daughter on fire; her son was also on fire outside, and a neighbor saw him and helped. Both were airlifted to a local hospital, and were still hospitalized as of Monday with burns to their faces and bodies, per WSOC. WRAL explains that rubbing alcohol burns clear, so the children may not have realized there was a flame. (More fire stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.