Dustin Hoffman's accusers are applauding John Oliver even as the Last Week Tonight host says his confrontation with Hoffman earlier this month "failed." During an interview with Sky One on Dec. 21, Oliver said he regretted the way he handled a discussion of sexual misconduct allegations against Hoffman while appearing with the actor to moderate a New York screening of Wag the Dog on Dec. 4, per the Guardian. Hoffman, who was asked about allegations that he sexually harassed a teen on a movie set in the 1980s, said he felt ambushed by Oliver, who took some heat in the aftermath. The discussion, approved by event organizers, "didn't really go anywhere constructive, so the whole thing just made me feel sad," Oliver told The Russell Howard Hour, per the Huffington Post.
Though he said Hoffman's answers were "not great," Oliver added his own questions "weren't particularly remarkable." Seven women who accuse Hoffman of sexual misconduct, however, feel differently. "We want to thank you for confronting Dustin Hoffman," the women—including the former production assistant who was 17 when she says she was harassed by Hoffman on the set of Death of a Salesman—tell Oliver in a statement posted to Twitter on Wednesday, per Time. "While the questions you asked may not have led to the constructive conversation you hoped for, the fact that you asked them at all is what matters most." The statement concludes by stressing that "change will depend on men reflecting on their own behavior and challenging other men to do the same." (Read more John Oliver stories.)