X

Elon Musk Sorry for 'Pedo' Insult

'My words were spoken in anger'
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 18, 2018 4:28 AM CDT
Updated Jul 18, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
Elon Musk speaks at a news conference in Chicago last month.   (AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Elon Musk has apparently decided to cut his losses and withdraw from the Thailand cave dispute with whatever dignity he has left. In a tweet, the Tesla CEO apologized for describing British cave diver Vern Unsworth, who played a key role in rescuing 12 trapped boys and their coach, as "pedo guy," reports Reuters. "My words were spoken in anger after Mr. Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub, which had been built as an act of kindness & according to specifications from the dive team leader," Musk wrote. Unsworth had rejected Musk's plans to send in a mini-sub and said Musk could stick the sub "where it hurts."

"Nonetheless, his actions against me do not justify my actions against him, and for that I apologize to Mr. Unsworth and to the companies I represent as leader," Musk said in another tweet. "The fault is mine and mine alone." Unsworth, 63, has extensive knowledge of the cave system in which the boys were trapped earlier this month and is believed to have supplied vital information to the successful rescue effort, the BBC reports. After Musk's remarks, he said he was "angry and astonished" and suggested he might sue. (Musk left the unused rescue sub behind in Thailand "in case it is useful in the future.")

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
23%
5%
7%
9%
1%
55%