X

Conor McGregor Makes Big Announcement

Irish superstar says he is retiring
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Mar 26, 2019 2:11 AM CDT
In this Oct. 6, 2018 photo, Conor McGregor walks out of the arena after he was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov in a lightweight title mixed martial arts bout at UFC 229 in Las Vegas.   (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Superstar UFC fighter Conor McGregor has announced on social media that he is retiring from mixed martial arts. McGregor's verified Twitter account had a post early Tuesday that said the former featherweight and lightweight UFC champion was making a "quick announcement," the AP reports. The tweet says: "I've decided to retire from the sport formally known as 'Mixed Martial Art' today." The note wishes his colleagues well going forward and said that he would "join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!"

The 30-year-old McGregor also announced retirement on Twitter in April 2016, saying he had decided to retire young, though he quickly reversed that amid a dispute with his promoters about how much he should be obligated to tout a fight scheduled with Nate Diaz that was postponed. Earlier this month, McGregor was arrested in Florida for stealing the cellphone of someone who was trying to take his photo, authorities said. McGregor, who's from Ireland, returned to UFC last fall after a hiatus during which he made his boxing debut, a loss to Floyd Mayweather. He was suspended from UFC for six months and fined $50,000 for a brawl after his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October.

(Read more Conor McGregor stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results  |  
30%
16%
10%
25%
3%
18%