X

Celine Dion Bids Adieu

The singer ends a celebrated Vegas residency
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 8, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Celine Dion announces Courage World Tour, set to kick-off on September 18, 2019, during a special live event at The Theatre at Ace Hotel on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, in Los Angeles.   (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)

(Newser) – Celine Dion is hanging 'em up—in Vegas, at least. The singer's Saturday night show will end her Las Vegas residency after 16 years of on-and-off shows there, Good Morning America reports. Dion says it's "bittersweet" to face her final audience at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. "Vegas has given me, in a way, stability to be home every night, raising my kids," she explained last year. "I mean, I love touring, don't get me wrong, but it's very, very, very different." The 51-year-old also recalled the hype surrounding her shows—"A New Day," which debuted in 2003, and the current "Celine," on stage since 2011—and seems to take them in stride.

"People thought I was going to finish my career here, and that the Titanic was going to sink again," she says with a laugh, but concedes she was uncertain. "When I started, they built that Colosseum specifically for that show. And me, I was like, 'Uh....suuuure.'" She also brushed off suggestions that she "opened up" Vegas for other big stars, like Elton John, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and Aerosmith. "I didn’t start anything," she tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "The music industry had people like Frank Sinatra, Elvis and names way bigger than me, and it all started way before me." When it's done, her Vegas shows will have banked over $700 million in ticket sales to more than four million fans. And in September she launches the "Courage" tour, which is slated for more than 50 North American cities.
(Read more Celine Dion stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results  |  
8%
23%
7%
49%
1%
12%