Cosmetic products should be kept out of the reach of children, researchers say, just as medications are. The evidence for that is a new study that estimates that 12 children younger than 5 are taken to emergency rooms every day with chemical burns or poisoning from such products as nail polish removal, hair relaxer, lotion and fragrance. That adds up to 64,686 children injured from 2002 to 2016, the Columbus Dispatch reports. The study was conducted by researchers at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus and Ohio State University. No fatalities were found in that period. Of the injured children, 86% were poisoned, and about 14% had chemical burns. Children younger than 2 accounted for more than 59% of the injuries, the study, published Monday in Clinical Pediatrics.
The most common injuries were caused by nail care products, hair care products and skin care products, per CNN. In most cases, a child swallowed the product. Nearly all injuries took place at home. Young children "see a bottle with a colorful label that looks or smells like something they are allowed to eat or drink, so they try to open it and take a swallow," one researcher said in a news release. "When the bottle turns out to be nail polish remover instead of juice, or lotion instead of yogurt, serious injuries can occur." (Read more cosmetics stories.)