X

Alleged Spacey Victim Abruptly Drops Suit

Actor still faces criminal charges in sexual assault case
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 5, 2019 1:27 PM CDT
Shrink
In this June 3, 2019, file photo, actor Kevin Spacey attends a pretrial hearing at district court in Nantucket, Mass.   (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

(Newser) – Just a week after one of Kevin Spacey's alleged victims filed a lawsuit against the actor, the man has suddenly withdrawn it. Reuters reports that Mitchell Garabedian, the attorney for the alleged victim, said his client put in paperwork this week to drop his civil complaint against Spacey that accused the actor of "explicit sexual behavior and lewd and lascivious conduct." The suit can't be refiled at a later date, as it was dismissed with prejudice. Garabedian didn't elaborate on why the complaint had been dropped.

The only clue comes in the court filing, which, per KTLA, notes "because no adverse party has served an answer or motion for summary judgment in this matter, plaintiff is dismissing the civil action." "It's very possible that the victim and his family have concluded that this fight is one that's no longer worth it," notes a legal analyst for WCVB, which adds that the three-year statute of limitations for the case is set to expire this week. An ex-prosecutor tells KTLA a settlement may also have been reached. Spacey still faces criminal charges for the incident that allegedly took place in 2016 in a Nantucket, Mass., bar. His accuser says Spacey groped him when he was an 18-year-old busboy there. (Read more Kevin Spacey stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
24%
15%
6%
32%
1%
23%