"Two things that don't mix—firecrackers and toilets." That's an understatement from FOX 2 after an apparent prank gone awry in Detroit resulted in injuries to two municipal employees. The Metro Times reports the General Services Department workers were hurt Wednesday after they used toilets in a fire department repair shop, resulting in injuries to one worker's leg and scrotum, and unspecified injuries to the other. "It was a prank gone bad," Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell says, with Mike Nevin, president of the Detroit Fire Fighters Association, adding, "This is an absolute embarrassment."
Nevin says no members of his group were responsible for the incident, which is now being investigated by the Detroit Police Department's internal affairs unit. A city spokesperson says the two injured workers have already reported back to work. "When you talk about a sensitive area plus a burn injury, it sounds awful," a Henry Ford Hospital ER doctor tells FOX 2. "I guarantee you don't want that to happen to yourself or any of your loved ones." (A Florida man is accused of throwing firecrackers under the bed of a sleeping 9-year-old.)