A devastating story out of Rochester, New York, Monday: A child died after falling into a grease trap outside a restaurant. The 3-year-old boy's mother called police when she was unable to find him, per WHEC. Francis Camp, a police investigator, said the boy fell through a plastic lid installed in the ground behind a Tim Hortons restaurant, the Democrat & Chronicle reports. Camp said the tank, which was 6 feet from the back door of the restaurant, held used grease in a liquefied form; restaurants use the tanks to avoid putting grease into the sewer system.
Witnesses pulled the boy out and performed CPR, but they were unable to revive him. "This is a horrible, unimaginable unspeakable tragedy," Camp said. There was no fence around the trap, per WIVB. (A similarly awful story from 2017 outside an ice cream parlor.)