Boy Dies After Fall Into Grease Trap

Trap was unfenced, just outside door
By Bob Cronin,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 15, 2019 2:52 PM CDT
Fall Into Grease Trap at Restaurant Kills Boy, 3
A 3-year-old boy fell through a grease trap outside a Tim Horton's in Rochester, New York.   (Getty/BalkansCat)

A devastating story out of Rochester, New York, Monday: A child died after falling into a grease trap outside a restaurant. The 3-year-old boy's mother called police when she was unable to find him, per WHEC. Francis Camp, a police investigator, said the boy fell through a plastic lid installed in the ground behind a Tim Hortons restaurant, the Democrat & Chronicle reports. Camp said the tank, which was 6 feet from the back door of the restaurant, held used grease in a liquefied form; restaurants use the tanks to avoid putting grease into the sewer system.

Witnesses pulled the boy out and performed CPR, but they were unable to revive him. "This is a horrible, unimaginable unspeakable tragedy," Camp said. There was no fence around the trap, per WIVB. (A similarly awful story from 2017 outside an ice cream parlor.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.