You know it's not going well for you when your own crisis manager says something like this: In an interview with Gayle King on Monday, R. Kelly's crisis manager Darrell Johnson said he would "absolutely not" allow his daughter to be alone with an accused pedophile. Here's how the conversation went on CBS This Morning:
- King: "You have a 20-something-year-old daughter. Would you allow her to be alone with—"
- Johnson: "Absolutely not."
- King: "—with R. Kelly?"
- Johnson: "I wouldn't leave my daughter with anybody that's accused of pedophilia. Period."
- Co-host Tony Dokoupil: "So you would not?"
- Johnson: "I would not leave my daughter with anyone that's accused of being a pedophile. I would not."
- King: "That doesn't seem like a contradiction to you? You're sitting here defending R. Kelly but at the same time saying you wouldn't leave your own daughter with him?"
- Johnson: "I wouldn't leave my daughter with anyone—I'm gonna say it again—that's accused of being a pedophile."
See the full interview, in which Johnson says his "trained" eye has not seen any suspicious behavior from Kelly, at CBS
. (Kelly is facing new federal charges