Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's remains have been disposed of, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Monday. "Baghdadi's remains were transported to a secure facility to confirm his identity with forensic DNA testing," Gen. Mark Milley said, "and the disposal of his remains has been done and is complete and was handled appropriately." There are no plans to release video of his death, the BBC reports, though Milley said photos and video are in the "declassification process." President Trump said earlier that some footage of the raid, in which the US says the ISIS leader killed himself, might be released.
Two men were taken into custody during the raid on Baghdadi's hideout in northwest Syria, Milley said, per ABC. US forces have also killed an ISIS spokesperson, Abu al-Hassan al-Muhajir, in Aleppo province, per CNN. A State Department official said he was "kind of a No. 2" to Baghdadi. For now, Milley said US troops would keep guarding oilfields from ISIS attacks. But, he added "at the end of the day, we will be sending troops home" from Syria.(Here's how US forces found Baghdadi.)