The Trump administration has proposed cutting the cap on refugees admitted to the US for resettlement to its lowest level ever, but in October, the number admitted was the lowest possible. On Tuesday, the State Department extended a pause on admissions for a third time, meaning the US is on course to admit no refugees at all this month, CNN reports. The taxpayer-funded flights of around 500 refugees who were told they could come to the US this month have been canceled. A State Department spokesperson tells the Hill that by law, no refugees can be admitted in the fiscal year that began Oct. 1 until the president "signs and issues the Presidential Determination on Refugee Admissions." The spokesperson says they are working on "a resumption of refugee arrivals."
Trump has apparently failed to sign off on the refugee cap, and groups involved in refugee resettlement say the delays are causing stress and hardship for refugees who had already been approved. At least four unaccompanied minors who were due to come to the US turned 18 during the delays and could now be stuck in refugee camps indefinitely. Other refugees may have security checks expire. "To consistently call and say your family member who you thought you were going to be reunified with isn't coming, it's difficult," Nate Bult, a spokesman for Bethany Christian Services, tells CNN. "When you get that phone call once, twice, three times, the refugees we're working with are concerned it may never happen." (Read more refugees stories.)