New York takes a look at President Obama’s far-flung—and now famous—family, complete with a handy PDF diagram and nicknames to help you remember who is who. George, the youngest half-brother, is arguably the (second) most famous, thanks to a minor drug arrest followed by a memoir deal, but there are quite a few more:
- Maya Soetoro-Ng: Obama’s half-sister, from his mother’s second marriage, she is the only sibling he knew growing up, and is the closest to him.
- Auma Obama: Obama’s half-sister on his father’s side, she guided him through his Kenyan pilgrimage and is probably his closest Kenyan relative.
- Mama Sarah: His step-grandmother, and part of a $500 Nairobi vacation package called the “Obamaland Weekend Break,” which features a possible visit with her.
- Sayid Obama: Mama Sarah’s son, he acts as family spokesperson and complains that “We have been grossly misquoted by the press,” particularly the birthers.
- Abon’go Malik Obama: Barack’s half-brother started a nonprofit organization in memory of the father he shares with the president.
- Abo Obama: Another Kenyan half-brother, Abo was accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.
- Mark Ndesandjo: The half-brother who grew up with Obama’s father describes dad as a monster in his autobiographical novel.
For more—including his “missing” relatives—click the link at right.
(Read more Barack Obama