Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For Gators on Golf Courses,
Diet Is a Bit of a Challenge
Sep 21, 2023 8:55 AM CDT
For Gators on Golf Courses, Diet Is a Bit of a Challenge
Instead of crustaceans, maybe a cat, some canned corn, and a cheeseburger with fries
- Golf courses, with their green space and ponds, have been shown to benefit wildlife when compared with other human-altered landscapes. But as Advanced Science News points out, previous studies looked at the abundance and diversity of animals on golf courses rather than the relationships between animals. Now, a new study...
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding
Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
Apr 8, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Golf Tourney Was Proceeding Nicely. Then, 'Mayhem'
3 giant pines fall during Masters at Georgia's Augusta National Golf Club; there were no injuries
- It was "Masters mayhem" on Friday, per the
, after three giant trees toppled over onto the course during the pro golf championship at Augusta National Golf Club. CBS Sports reports that the Georgia pines fell near the 17th hole during the second round of play, right before the...
Activists Fill Golf Holes
Aug 14, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Activists Fill Golf Holes With Cement
French environmentalists angry that courses get watering exemption amid drought
- Golf just became much more difficult at two courses in southern France—environmental activists plugged holes with cement, reports the BBC . A group known as Extinction Rebellion claimed responsibility, saying it makes no sense that golf courses get an exemption from watering amid a severe drought. The activists say the...
After 651 Golf Balls Hit
Their Property, They
Sued the Country Club
in case you missed it
May 1, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
After 651 Golf Balls Hit Their Property, They Sued the Country Club
Massachusetts family awarded $5M
- When they bought a home next to a golf course in 2017, Massachusetts couple Erik and Athina Tenczar expected there might be some noise and possibly the occasional ball in their backyard. Instead, they faced a barrage of 651 balls over the next four years, with shots from bad golfers...
Golf Course Triple Homicide
'Doesn't Make Any Sense'
Jul 6, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Golf Course Triple Homicide 'Doesn't Make Any Sense'
Pro Gene Siller and 2 other men were found slain on Atlanta-area course over the weekend
- "This doesn't make any sense," a member of the Pinetree Country Club near Atlanta tells CNN . Brian Katrek, who also is an anchor of SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio, was referring to the triple homicide that occurred on the club's golf course in Kennesaw over the holiday...
Files Lawsuit Over
Jun 22, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Trump Organization Files Lawsuit Over Golf Course
New York City canceled company's contract
- The Trump Organization sued New York City on Monday for cancelling its contract to run a golf course in the Bronx earlier this year, a move it said was politically motivated and should be reversed. The lawsuit, filed in state court, says nothing in the 566-page contract gave New York...
at Trump Course
Dec 9, 2020 11:23 AM CST
Once-Protected Dunes at Trump Course Lose Status
Scottish dunes don't have 'enough of the special, natural features for which they were designated'
- Conservation officials in Scotland said Wednesday that the coastal sand dunes at President Trump's Aberdeenshire golf resort have lost their special status as a protected environmental site. NatureScot, Scotland's nature agency, says that following construction of the Trump International Golf Links course at Menie, north of Aberdeen, the...
Spotted in Florida: 'It Looked
Like a Jurassic Park Creature'
Nov 13, 2020 6:44 AM CST
Spotted in Florida: 'It Looked Like a Jurassic Park Creature'
Giant alligator spotted strolling a golf course
- Florida is known for its alligators, but one that showed up this week on a Florida golf course is making headlines for a) strolling around during Tropical Storm Eta like it was nothing but a sun shower, and b) its jaw-dropping size, per NBC News . Video shot Wednesday at the...
40 Years After a US Open
Splash, This Tree Has Fallen
Mar 7, 2020 9:00 AM CST
40 Years After a US Open Splash, This Tree Has Fallen
Famous 'Hinkle Tree' meets its demise thanks to gust of wind
- A tree that appeared overnight during the 1979 US Open to become a part of golf lore has met its end. The Black Hills spruce known as the "Hinkle Tree" was partially uprooted by a gust of wind this week at Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio, and was cut...
Lawyer: Trump Golf Course
Suddenly Cans 12 Workers
Jan 26, 2019 5:15 PM CST
Lawyer: Trump Golf Course Suddenly Cans 12 Workers
Seems the Trump National Golf Club doesn't want them anymore
- A lawyer for a dozen workers at one of President Donald Trump's golf clubs in New York who are in the United States illegally says they were fired this month even though managers knew of their illegal status years ago, the AP reports. Anibal Romero says a dozen such...
Be Outraged' by
Teen's Find Off
Jan 18, 2019 7:55 AM CST
'People Would Be Outraged' by Teen's Find Off Calif. Coast
Alex Weber has pulled out more than 50K golf balls over the last two years
- Two years ago, a central California teen began what NPR calls a "Sisyphean task"—hauling hundreds of pounds of golf balls off the ocean floor, only to have them reenter the sea as golfers from five nearby golf courses (including Pebble Beach) hit them right back in. Alex...
Men in a Golf Cart
Tried to Cross
a River. Their
Wives Hit Them
Dec 27, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Men in a Golf Cart Tried to Cross a River. Their Wives Hit Them
Tragic drowning of tourists in Thailand
- A Christmas Day outing at a Thai golf course ended in tragedy for two South Korean tourists who were visiting with their wives. The BBC reports that 76-year-old Jaseoong Ha and 68-year-old Jun Yong Sung drowned in a freak accident Tuesday as they tried to cross the Nan River in...
Scotland Busts Paragliding
Jul 15, 2018 7:34 AM CDT
Scotland Busts Paragliding Trump Protester
Yes, it turns out this is a violation of a no-fly zone over Trump's golf course
- President Trump's visit to the United Kingdom has attracted no small amount of protest or controversy, but one of the more innovative protesters has been arrested for his trouble, reports the
The unnamed 55-year-old Greenpeace protester paraglided over Trump's Turnberry resort Friday evening as the US president...
New Calif. Wildfire's
Victims: Elite Horses
Dec 8, 2017 2:50 AM CST
New Calif. Wildfire's Victims: Elite Horses
Lilac Fire adds to region's misery
- California's newest wildfire tore through retirement communities built on golf courses and killed elite thoroughbred horses in its first destructive day. The new blaze in San Diego County means a huge swath of Southern California is now in flames after December's shockingly dry, hot, and windy conditions brought...
Oct 25, 2016 1:26 PM CDT
Trump Rips ObamaCare, Raises Questions on Himself in Process
Seems to imply at Miami campaign event he doesn't offer health care coverage to his own workers
- The news that ObamaCare premiums are going to significantly rise next year didn't put many people in the best of moods Tuesday, and Donald Trump was no exception. First he said "it's over" for the administration's health care plan at a rally in Tampa, Fla., Monday...
Warming Is BS—
May 23, 2016 11:19 AM CDT
Trump: Global Warming Is BS— That's Threatening My Resort
Irish golf course applies for permit to build wall to fend off erosion caused by climate change
- Global warming is just "expensive bulls---t," according to Donald Trump, a position he's often taken publicly, but it looks like he's more than willing to wade in when it comes to one of his own resorts. The last Republican standing has applied for a permit to...
Stinky Chicken Manure
Costs Golf Club Owner $100K
Aug 29, 2015 8:28 PM CDT
Stinky Chicken Manure Costs Golf Club Owner $100K
Neighbors claim it was payback
- Last year, the owner of a Southern California golf club allegedly created a month-long stench in his Escondido neighborhood by spreading five tons of raw chicken manure over the closed golf course. Now, following dozens of complaints from neighbors, the
San Diego Union-Tribune
reports Michael Schlesinger has agreed to pay...
Wisconsin Golf Course's
Bad Move: 9/11 Special
Sep 10, 2013 11:08 AM CDT
Wisconsin Golf Course's Bad Move: 9/11 Special
Tumbledown Trails Golf Course issues apology
- A golf course is apologizing for advertising nine holes of golf for $9.11 on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Tumbledown Trails Golf Course in Wisconsin advertised the special with an ad yesterday saying it was meant to commemorate the 12th anniversary of the attacks that...
Cessnas Collide in
Midair Over SoCal
Apr 30, 2013 9:25 AM CDT
Cessnas Collide in Midair Over SoCal
One pilot dies, the other lands on golf course
- Two Cessnas collided over Southern California yesterday afternoon, and those aboard one of the planes miraculously survived. That plane managed to land, with its landing gear still up, on a Westlake Golf Course fairway; the three people on board reported only minor injuries. But the other plane, also a single-engine...
Mar 12, 2013 1:06 PM CDT
Illinois Sinkhole Swallows Golfer
But Mark Mihal is OK
- Florida isn't the only state dealing with sinkhole troubles : On an Illinois golf course Friday, golfer Mark Mihal suddenly dropped into one. "I was standing in the middle of the fairway," he tells the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
. "Then, all of a sudden, before I knew it,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.