Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Election Skeptic to
Jun 15, 2022 1:22 AM CDT
Nevada Republicans Nominate 2020 Election Skeptic to Oversee Elections
Jim Marchant wins GOP primary for secretary of state
- Nevada Republicans have selected a former state lawmaker who has been repeating the false claims that the 2020 presidential election was stolen as their nominee to oversee future elections in the state, the AP reports. In November, Jim Marchant will face Cisco Aguilar, a lawyer and former chair of the...
Nevada Makes a Move
Against Assault Weapons
Jun 6, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Nevada Makes a Move Against Assault Weapons
State to divest from manufacturers; meanwhile, mass shootings claim 13 lives over weekend
- The issue of gun safety remains in the headlines after at least nine mass shootings in the US over the weekend left 13 people dead and more than 50 injured. Axios rounds up details on seven shootings in Philadelphia ; Chattanooga , Tennessee; Mesa, Arizona; Summerton, South Carolina; Phoenix; Macon, Georgia, and...
Kmart Clothes a Clue to Body
Found in Barrel at Lake Mead
May 4, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Kmart Clothes a Clue to Body Found in Barrel at Lake Mead
Police say victim was shot
Police have shared details about the body found inside a barrel that was discovered on the newly exposed bottom of Nevada's Lake Mead, saying the remains belong to a person who'd been shot. Investigators are dating the crime to the late 1970s or early '80s, with...
Family Explains What Likely
Killed Man Stranded With Wife
Apr 8, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Family Explains What Likely Killed Man Stranded With Wife
Ronnie Barker had part of his lung removed
- An Indiana couple that had been missing for more than a week were at peace with the world as the husband died a day before rescuers reached the wife , their nephew said Thursday. Beverly Barker, 69, was released from a Reno, Nevada, hospital Wednesday, a day after rescuers found her...
The 'Help' Text Came
Through, but It Was Too Late
Apr 7, 2022 1:50 AM CDT
The 'Help' Text Came Through, but It Was Too Late
Couple goes missing on cross-country trip, and only one makes it out of ordeal alive
- A single, desperate cry for help went through to family members too late to save a woman’s husband after the Indiana couple had been lost in Nevada’s high-desert wilderness for more than a week. “37.757753, -117.809568. Help.” It was a delayed text with GPS...
After Homework Found
in Getaway Car
Apr 5, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
Teen Arrested After Homework Found in Getaway Car
High school student faces murder charge in home-invasion robbery
- An 18-year-old man arrested in a home-invasion robbery in which a Las Vegas woman was killed left his high school homework in the getaway car, police said. Math homework bearing Kamari Oliver's name was found in a backpack in the vehicle after the victim's boyfriend saw several robbers...
New Charge for Man Accused
of Abducting Nevada Teen
Apr 2, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
New Charge for Man Accused of Abducting Nevada Teen
Troy Driver has now been charged with murder in the case of 18-year-old Naomi Irion
Troy Driver had already been charged with kidnapping in the case of Naomi Irion, the Nevada 18-year-old whose body was found more than two weeks after she was taken from a Walmart parking lot. Now, the 41-year-old has been hit with a murder charge as well, reports CBS News...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Suspect Arrested in Case
of Missing Nevada Teen
Mar 26, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Suspect Arrested in Case of Missing Nevada Teen
Troy Driver, 41, is in custody; still no news on whereabouts of Naomi Irion, 18
Naomi Irion is still missing, but Nevada cops now have a suspect in her disappearance in custody. KTVN reports that Troy Driver, 41, of Fallon was arrested Friday, with the Lyon County Sheriff's Office noting he's being held on kidnapping charges. Authorities say they've also impounded...
Woman Who Went Missing
in February Is Missing Again
Mar 23, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Woman Who Went Missing in February Is Missing Again
Gayle Stewart last seen near the Hoover Dam on March 14
- A Nevada woman who was reported missing on Valentine's Day and found roughly 12 hours later clinging to a tree on a dangerously steep slope has disappeared for a second time. It’s now been nine days since Gayle Stewart, 64, was last seen March 14 near the Hoover...
Governor, Wife Face
Tirade at Restaurant
Feb 28, 2022 5:43 PM CST
Governor, Wife Face Tirade at Restaurant
State police investigate threats, racial slurs apparently from right-wing podcaster
- What appeared to be a friendly selfie request of Nevada's governor turned into a profane, threatening situation Sunday at a Las Vegas restaurant. Nevada State Police are investigating the confrontation that began just after Gov. Steve Sisolak; his wife, Kathy; and a daughter arrived at Lindo Michoacan in Summerlin,...
Woman at Center of Deadly
Bus Shove Is Going to Prison
Feb 19, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Woman at Center of Deadly Bus Shove Is Going to Prison
Cadesha Bishop gets 8 to 20 years behind bars after 2019 incident in which elderly man died
A woman who pushed an elderly man off a Las Vegas bus, causing his death, heard her fate this week in a Nevada courtroom. Per WFTV , Cadesha Bishop was sentenced Friday to between eight and 20 years behind bars for the 2019 incident, in which a 74-year-old man hit...
Nevada Unmasks Gamblers
Feb 10, 2022 7:12 PM CST
Nevada Unmasks Gamblers
Governor lifts mandate for most public places
- Signs announcing face masks were required came down in Nevada casinos on Thursday, after the state dropped its mandate for public places. The change was effective immediately. "It's really an exciting day," said Stephen Thayer, general manager of the Strat in Las Vegas. Employees were relieved that...
$500K Lawsuit Claims Cops
Arrested Wrong Shane Brown
Jan 26, 2022 4:08 PM CST
$500K Lawsuit Claims Cops Arrested Wrong Shane Brown
Shane Lee Brown says he spent 6 days in jail after being mistaken as a wanted felon
- A young Black man is suing two police departments in Nevada after he says he spent six days in jail—simply for having nearly the same name as a wanted felon, who is white and twice his age. Shane Lee Brown, a 25-year-old with dark hair, says police were actually...
Parole Ends Early
Dec 14, 2021 7:14 PM CST
OJ Simpson's Parole Ends Early
He's now a 'completely free man'
- OJ Simpson is a free man. The 74-year-old former football star, acquitted California murder defendant, and convicted Las Vegas armed robber was granted good behavior credits and discharged from parole effective Dec. 1, Nevada State Police spokeswoman Kim Yoko Smith said Tuesday. "Mr. Simpson is a completely free man...
This State Embraces Diversity
More Than Any Other
Sep 21, 2021 11:38 AM CDT
This State Embraces Diversity More Than Any Other
California takes top spot in WalletHub ranking; West Virginia comes in last
- America's history is a unique one, and the result of our national experiment is a "complex tapestry of backgrounds," comprised of people from all different cultures, religions, and socioeconomic and educational statuses, per WalletHub . In fact, the personal finance site notes, by 2045 it's expected there...
Lake Tahoe Residents
'Thankful to Be Alive'
Sep 8, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Lake Tahoe Residents 'Thankful to Be Alive'
They're returning home, though Caldor Fire is only 50% contained
- Residents are returning to the Lake Tahoe resort area more than a week after evacuation orders spurred by the Caldor Fire , though full containment is still weeks away. More than 53,000 people had been ordered to evacuate by Sept. 1. At that time, officials expected full containment by Wednesday....
Looking for Gender Equality?
Here's Where to Go
Aug 23, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Looking for Gender Equality? Here's Where to Go
Nevada takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, while Utah comes in last
- The glass ceiling may have many deep cracks in it, but it hasn't yet been shattered—at least not in terms of the pay gap or women consistently finding equal footing in leadership positions. And the workplace isn't the only arena in which women are still battling gender...
Guy's Suit: I Went to Dump Dog
Poop, Encountered a Bear
Aug 17, 2021 8:51 AM CDT
Guy's Suit: I Went to Dump Dog Poop, Encountered a Bear
Calif. tourist on Nevada side of Lake Tahoe says he hurt himself trying to flee from bear in dumpster
- He took his dog for a walk, ran into a bear in a dumpster, and hurt himself trying to get away. That's the upshot of a confrontation two years ago in Lake Tahoe between a California tourist and said bear, and now the subject of a lawsuit in Nevada'...
Cops: Landlord Killed
2 Tenants in Rent Dispute
Aug 10, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Cops: Landlord Killed 2 Tenants in Rent Dispute
3rd tenant was critically injured in Vegas shooting
- A landlord argued with his live-in tenants over unpaid rent before opening fire with a handgun in a small house near downtown Las Vegas early Tuesday, killing two women and wounding a man who survived nine gunshots, police said. The shooting suspect, Arnoldo Lozano-Sanchez, 78, surrendered after a one-hour standoff...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.