Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss
Thanks to Google Street View
Jan 6, 2022 9:39 AM CST
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss Thanks to Google Street View
Convicted killer Gioacchino Gammino had fled Italy for Spain
- An Italian mafia boss and convicted murderer who escaped from prison in Rome 20 years ago has been arrested in Spain—thanks in part to a sighting on Google Street View. Authorities say they already believed 61-year-old Gioacchino Gammino to be hiding in Spain, though the sighting of him and...
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders
Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Sep 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Homeless and jobless, Darko Desic was done sleeping on an Australian beach
- An unfortunate consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic is that many people have been turned out of their homes. Fortunately for Australian authorities, one of those people is a 29-year fugitive who decided he'd rather have a roof over his head, even if it was in prison. Darko Desic had...
Mistakenly Released From Jail
Sep 2, 2021 9:13 AM CDT
Lookalike Inmate Mistakenly Released From Jail
Search is on for Ellen Goble in Randolph County, Mo.
- Authorities in Missouri are searching for a woman who was mistaken for another inmate and wrongly released from jail over the weekend. Ellen Goble—who was held in Randolph County Jail on charges of resisting arrest, burglary, drug possession, and operating a vehicle without a valid license—looked almost identical...
After 47 Years, Marshals on
Trail of Escaped Child Killer
Oct 21, 2020 8:08 AM CDT
After 47 Years, Marshals on Trail of Escaped Child Killer
Lester Eubanks has been on the run since 1973
- Federal authorities believe they're closing in on a convicted child killer who's been on the run for 47 years. Lester Eubanks—whose story features in an episode of Netflix's
—was convicted in May 1966 of the rape and murder of 14-year-old Mary Ellen Deener...
Killer Peter Madsen
Oct 20, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Inventor convicted in journalist's brutal murder is apprehended a short distance away on Tuesday
- A Danish man convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in a case that shocked Scandinavia managed to escape from prison on Tuesday—though he was apprehended soon after. Peter Madsen, serving life in prison for the 2017 murder of Kim Wall, escaped from Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen...
Man Who 'Terrorized Rome' for
Years Escapes Jail a 4th Time
Sep 8, 2020 4:33 AM CDT
Man Who 'Terrorized Rome' for Years Escapes Jail a 4th Time
Giuseppe Mastini has been convicted of multiple murders
- Giuseppe Mastini has been convicted of multiple murders—and he just escaped from jail for the fourth time. Mastini, 60, who "terrorized Rome," per the
, in the 1970s and 1980s, was on day release from a high-security Italian prison and failed to return at the appointed time...
14 Jumped the Fence.
6 Are Still on the Loose
Mar 24, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
14 Jumped the Fence. 6 Are Still on the Loose
Jail, shelter-in-place order couldn't hold these inmates in Washington state
- Fourteen inmates escaped a jail in Washington state on Monday, and six were still on the loose by Tuesday morning. Residents of Yakima were told to stay inside as authorities reported the escape from Yakima County Jail in the city's downtown, per NBC News . At one point, authorities said...
Convict Comes Up With
Weird Escape Plan, It Works
Feb 27, 2020 12:34 AM CST
Convict Comes Up With Weird Escape Plan, It Works
Somehow convinces another inmate to help him impersonate that inmate
- A California man convicted of mail fraud escaped from a Utah jail Tuesday night by posing as a fellow inmate whose time had come to be released, authorities said Wednesday. Kaleb Wiewandt was allowed to leave the jail in Ogden, Utah, because staff thought he was inmate Matthew Belnap, said...
Hunt Escaped Murderer
Feb 25, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Alabama Authorities Hunt Escaped Murderer
Daniel Miner escaped from work-release facility
- Authorities in Alabama are hunting a 43-year-old man who has been serving a life sentence for murder since he was a teenager. Daniel Miner, who was convicted of a 1993 Marshall County murder in 1994 and sentenced to life with the possibility of parole, escaped from a minimum-security work-release facility...
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years
Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jan 3, 2020 12:53 PM CST
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jose Romero escaped from SC in 1979; he was nabbed in Delaware last month
- In 1979, Pink Floyd's
was released, Margaret Thatcher was elected prime minister of the UK, and Jose Romero escaped from a South Carolina prison. Almost 40 years to the day of his jailbreak, however, the sexagenarian (he's said to be 63 or 64) was arrested in...
Brick Wall Couldn't Stop
Inmate. His Dad Finally Did
Dec 27, 2019 1:38 PM CST
Brick Wall Couldn't Stop Inmate. His Dad Finally Did
Jace Martin Laws' Texas prison escape didn't last long after his father spotted him
- A Texas inmate who authorities say carved his way through a brick wall to escape prison has been recaptured. Per KLTV , the Gregg County Sheriff's Office first made the announcement Thursday on 34-year-old Jace Martin Laws' prison break from the county's South Jail in Longview. In a Facebook...
Cops: After Court Escape,
Drug Suspect Shoots Wife, Self
Nov 7, 2019 12:18 PM CST
Cops: After Court Escape, Drug Suspect Shoots Wife, Self
American and his wife hoped to make it to Cambodia before capture in Thailand, police say
- An American man is accused of stabbing a police officer in order to escape from a Thai court before shooting his wife and himself as authorities closed in. As of Thursday, Bart Allen Helmus and his Thai wife, Sirinapa Wisetrit, were both in serious condition in a hospital’s intensive...
Jail Bathroom Had a Blind Spot.
2 Murder Suspects Found It
Nov 6, 2019 8:22 AM CST
Jail Bathroom Had a Blind Spot. 2 Murder Suspects Found It
Search is on for Santos Fonseca, Jonathan Salazar in California
- Two murder suspects have yet to be found three days after they escaped from a California jail through a small hole. Awaiting trial on separate murder charges, Santos Samuel Fonseca, 21, and Jonathan Salazar, 20, are believed to have escaped Monterey County Jail in Salinas on Sunday by climbing through...
Child Rapist Set Free
in Error Made It 500 Miles
Oct 31, 2019 8:05 AM CDT
Child Rapist Set Free in Error Made It 500 Miles
Tony Maycon Munoz-Mendez was captured late Wednesday in Kentucky
- The inmate serving three life sentences for the rape of a child when he was mistakenly released from a Georgia prison last week has been captured some 500 miles to the north. Tony Maycon Munoz-Mendez was nabbed in Fort Thomas, Kentucky, around 10:30pm Wednesday. The 31-year-old was apprehended in...
Locals on Edge as Prisoner
Oct 1, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Locals on Edge as Prisoner Goes Missing—Again
Calvin Adams escaped an Arkansas prison in 2009 and may have just done so again
- "We'll get him." That's the determined response of a spokeswoman for the Arkansas Department of Corrections, which has pulled out all the stops to look for a convicted murderer who either managed to bust out of a state prison or is hiding very well somewhere on...
All 4 'Extremely Dangerous'
Escaped Inmates Captured
Sep 30, 2019 2:54 PM CDT
All 4 'Extremely Dangerous' Escaped Inmates Captured
Authorities say men overpowered female guards at Ohio prison
- Four inmates described as "extremely dangerous" escaped from a county jail in Ohio early Sunday after overpowering two female guards, authorities say, but all four have since been recaptured, nearly 400 miles away, per WCHS . The Gallia County Sheriff's Office says Brynn Martin, 40; Christopher M. Clemente, 24;...
Husband, Wife Escaped Using
Medical Emergency Ruse
Aug 30, 2019 12:45 AM CDT
Husband, Wife Escaped Using Medical Emergency Ruse
$20K reward offered for info leading to arrest of Susan and Blane Barksdale
- A husband and wife being transported across the country to face murder charges used a medical emergency ruse and then overpowered two security guards , tied them up, and left them and a third uninvolved prisoner outside a rural Arizona town, authorities said Thursday. David Gonzales, the US marshal for Arizona,...
Couple Suspected in Murder
Escape During Extradition
Aug 27, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Couple Suspected in Murder Escape During Extradition
Blane, Susan Barksdale are possibly driving through Arizona
- A couple suspected in a Tucson murder have escaped after overpowering two security guards while being extradited from New York to Arizona, authorities said Tuesday. Tucson police said Blane Barksdale, 56, and his 59-year-old wife Susan Barksdale escaped Monday evening in Blanding, Utah, south of Moab, the AP reports. They...
After Prison Break
Aug 2, 2019 12:15 AM CDT
White Supremacist Leader Captured After Prison Break
Gang leader, 2nd inmate escaped Ark. facility
- Authorities on Thursday captured two fugitives, including a white supremacist gang leader, who escaped from an Arkansas jail and whose disappearance may have gone unnoticed for more than a day. Wesley Gullett, 30, was captured after he was found walking alone down a highway in Dover, which is about 100...
Fugitive Who Tired of Life on
Sunny Island Turns Self In
Apr 22, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Fugitive Who Tired of Life on Sunny Island Turns Self In
'Tenerife is not as nice as it used to be'
- A man who says he fled an Austrian prison over a decade ago has turned himself in to police in Salzburg, telling them he was fed up with living in Spain's Canary Islands. Police said the 64-year-old, carrying two suitcases, approached cops at Salzburg's railway station Saturday night...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.