Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Most Trusted News Source
Is Bit of a Surprise
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Most Trusted News Source Is Bit of a Surprise
52% of Americans trust the Weather Channel in latest YouGov poll
- When it comes to the weather, most of us are on the same side of things—or, at least we're all watching and believing the same reports. That's according to YouGov , a UK market research firm whose latest poll on the media found that the most trusted news...
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,'
Outlet Will Make Own Content
Mar 31, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,' Outlet Will Make Own Content
Conservative Daily Wire says entertainment giant is pushing 'radical' ideology to children
- The conservative media outlet Daily Wire is launching an entertainment division for children to counter what it calls a "woke" ideology of Disney. The company—best known for its podcast featuring Ben Shapiro—says in a release that it will spend $100 million over three years to develop DW...
NPR's Supreme Court
Story Takes Another Turn
Jan 21, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Reporter Nina Totenberg defends it, rejects public editor's clarification
- The saga over an NPR report on the Supreme Court continues. Veteran reporter Nina Totenberg is dismissing criticism from her outlet's public editor about a story Totenberg wrote about justice Neil Gorsuch's decision to forgo a mask while on the bench. Here's how it has unfolded:
Jan 6, 2022 6:20 PM CST
Paying $550M for
Sports site brings 1.2M new owner subscribers
- The Athletic, which has been looking for a buyer for months, has found one. The New York Times announced Thursday that it's reached an agreement to acquire the subscription-based sports media outlet in an all-cash deal worth $550 million, Axios reports. The
said its new subsidiary will operate...
Our Interest in the News
Wasn't What It Was in 2020
Dec 27, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Our Interest in the News Wasn't What It Was in 2020
The AP rounds up some numbers that show the decline
- The presidential election, pandemic, and racial reckoning were stories that drove intense interest and engagement to news outlets in 2020. To a large degree, 2021 represented the inevitable hangover. The AP reports various metrics illustrate the dwindling popularity of news content. The major takeaways:
Cable news networks:
In 2021, weekday
George Clooney Has
a Big Ask of the Media
Nov 6, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
George Clooney Has a Big Ask of the Media
Star doesn't want pics of his kids' faces being published, especially by the UK's 'Daily Mail'
- George Clooney understands that, as one of the most famous actors in the world, he's going to occasionally be photographed while out in public. As for his two young kids, however, they should be off-limits, a plea he made Thursday in an open letter to the media. The BBC...
Dave Portnoy: 'I've Never Done
Anything Weird With a Girl'
Nov 5, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Dave Portnoy: 'I've Never Done Anything Weird With a Girl'
Barstool Sports founder says he's never done 'anything remotely nonconsensual'
- Dave Portnoy, founder and president of Barstool Sports, is no stranger to controversy. Last year, after a Twitter thread highlighted video clips in which he used the N-word, supported a colleague's use of blackface, and said he assumed Colin Kaepernick was Arab and therefore "an ISIS guy,"...
Oct 2, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Ozy Makes Announcement With 'Heaviest of Hearts'
Digital media company is shutting down after week of bombshell reports, controversies
A "strange chapter" in the media world has come to a close. That's per the
New York Times
, which reports that Ozy Media, the digital media firm it had dropped a bombshell report on earlier in the week, is shuttering. "It is ... with the heaviest of...
Sep 24, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
Chris Cuomo's Ex-Boss Reveals He Groped Her Butt
TV journalist Shelley Ross says CNN host must 'journalistically repent'
- Sexual harassment allegations derailed the career of one Cuomo . A new allegation threatens to do the same to another. In a
New York Times
essay, Chris Cuomo's former boss at ABC News says the CNN host sexually harassed her in 2005 when both attended a colleague's going-away party...
'I'm Going Home'
Sep 16, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Piers Morgan: 'I'm Going Home'
He's joining News Corp., will host new weeknight show on Fox Nation
- Piers Morgan has found a new job following his explosive departure from
Good Morning Britain
. The political pundit is joining News Corp. and Fox News Media in a partnership that will see him host a new weeknight show to air in the US, UK, and Australia in 2022. He'll...
'One of the Most
Iconic Brands' on
TV Is Coming Back
Sep 14, 2021 11:54 AM CDT
'One of the Most Iconic Brands' on TV Is Coming Back
New episodes of 'Cops' to debut next month on Fox Nation
- Fox News Media is reviving the long-running TV series
for its Fox Nation streaming service as part of a pitch to entice police, firefighters, and other first responders to sign up for the service, reports the AP . Fox Nation will debut four episodes of the show's 33rd season...
Taliban Official Flees
Sep 2, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
Female Journalist Who Interviewed Taliban Official Flees
Beheshta Arghand says Taliban doesn't accept women as 'human'
- The first female Afghan journalist to interview a member of the Taliban says she's been forced to leave her country behind. Beheshta Arghand, formerly of TOLO News, fled Afghanistan as part of the US-led evacuation on Aug. 24 and is now in Qatar, per the
. Arghand had spoken...
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens
of Iran-Tied News Sites
Jun 23, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens of Iran-Tied News Sites
Department alleges these state-linked sites are spreading disinformation
- American authorities seized a range of Iran's state-linked news website domains they accused of spreading disinformation, the US Justice Department said Tuesday, a move that appeared to be a far-reaching crackdown on Iranian media amid heightened tensions between the two countries. The Justice Department said 33 of the seized...
One of Reporters' Best Sources
Is Their Biggest Critic
Jun 21, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
One of Reporters' Best Sources Is Their Biggest Critic
Tucker Carlson loves giving the inside scoop to journalists, writes Ben Smith
- Tucker Carlson is always going after journalists, the group he has described as "cringing animals who are not worthy of respect." But in his latest media column for the
New York Times
, Ben Smith writes about what he calls one of DC's "open secrets"—Carlson...
AP Admits It Mishandled
Firing of Young Reporter
May 27, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
AP Admits It Mishandled Firing of Young Reporter
Emily Wilder's dismissal over social media posts forces a reckoning on policy
- The Associated Press hired a young journalist out of Stanford at the beginning of this month, then fired her about two weeks later. But this was no ordinary personnel issue, and the dismissal of 22-year-old Emily Wilder is forcing a heated discussion in the industry about how news organizations handle...
Pope Questions Value
of Vatican Newspaper
to Its Employees
May 24, 2021 7:40 PM CDT
Pope Questions Value of Vatican Newspaper to Its Employees
Francis issues thinly veiled warning about expensive media operation
- Pope Francis challenged the Vatican's own media employees Monday to essentially justify their continued work, asking them how many people actually consume their news as he visited the office that costs the Holy See more than all its embassies around the world combined. Francis paid a visit to the...
3 Major Outlets Backtrack
on a Rudy Giuliani Story
May 4, 2021 8:22 AM CDT
3 Major Outlets Backtrack on a Rudy Giuliani Story
'Competitive pressures' fueled the mistake, writes media reporter Paul Farhi
- Three major news organizations misfired on a Rudy Giuliani story last week, and media writer Paul Farhi of the
digs into what went wrong. Two big factors: "Competitive pressures" and anonymous sources. Farhi's own newspaper was the first to report the would-be scoop: The
Press Freedom Takes
'Dramatic' Hit in Pandemic
Apr 20, 2021 12:37 PM CDT
Press Freedom Takes 'Dramatic' Hit in Pandemic
Reporters Without Borders says there's been a 'dramatic deterioration' worldwide
- There's been a "dramatic deterioration" of press freedom since the pandemic started to tear across the world, Reporters Without Borders said in its annual report published Tuesday. The group's new World Press Freedom Index, which evaluated the press situations in 180 countries, painted a stark picture and...
Fox News Role Is Revealed
Mar 30, 2021 11:09 AM CDT
Kayleigh McEnany's Fox News Role Is Revealed
Former White House press secretary to co-host 'Outnumbered'
- Kayleigh McEnany will host a daytime talk show as part of her new gig with Fox News . The former White House press secretary will join co-hosts Harris Faulkner and Emily Compagno on
, which features a rotating panel of guests, starting April 6,
reports. Deadline notes it's the...
Piers Morgan Thought About It,
Still Doesn't Believe Meghan
Mar 10, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Piers Morgan Thought About It, Still Doesn't Believe Meghan
Duchess filed complaint with ITV over his comments
- One of the 41,000 people who complained to ITV about Piers Morgan's comments about Meghan Markle was apparently the duchess herself. "The Duchess of Sussex formally filed a complaint to ITV on Monday" and "it's thought to have been sent to the broadcaster's CEO,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Women Fell Hard for Him. Many Say It Cost Them
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.