Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In NYC, Thanksgiving
Parade a 'Sign of Our Rebirth'
Nov 25, 2021 12:20 PM CST
In NYC, Thanksgiving Parade a 'Sign of Our Rebirth'
Spectators were back, with precautions, after COVID marred last year's Macy's spectacular
- Crimped by the coronavirus pandemic last year, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade returned Thursday in full, though with precautions. Balloons, floats, marching bands, clowns, and performers—and, of course, Santa Claus—once again began wending Thursday morning though 2 1/2 miles of Manhattan streets, instead of being confined to...
'To Us, Thanksgiving
Is a Day of Mourning'
Nov 25, 2021 9:20 AM CST
'To Us, Thanksgiving Is a Day of Mourning'
Native American group is holding solemn event in Plymouth
- Members of Native American tribes from around New England are gathering in the seaside town where the Pilgrims settled—not to give thanks, but to mourn Indigenous people worldwide who've suffered centuries of racism and mistreatment. Thursday’s solemn National Day of Mourning observance in downtown Plymouth, Mass., will...
Target Makes a Permanent
Move on Thanksgiving
Nov 22, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Target Makes a Permanent Move on Thanksgiving
All stores will be closed on the holiday, this year and going forward
- Target is bailing from one aspect of the holiday shopping rush: Its stores will be closed on Thanksgiving—not just this year, but on all Thanksgivings going forward, reports MarketWatch . The shift can be chalked up to the pandemic: The chain chose to close last Thanksgiving, and it also spread...
At Presidential Turkey
Pardon, the Jokes Flew
Nov 20, 2021 5:30 AM CST
At Presidential Turkey Pardon, the Jokes Flew
'Instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted,' Biden said at WH ceremony
- President Biden on Friday pardoned two Thanksgiving turkeys, saying that the white male birds were selected based on their "temperament, appearance, and, I suspect, vaccination status." "Instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted today," Biden joked, per the AP . Biden was in a...
This Might Be the Most
Expensive Thanksgiving Ever
Oct 26, 2021 2:47 PM CDT
This Might Be the Most Expensive Thanksgiving Ever
Supply issues, labor shortages are driving up prices of many ingredients
- The American Farm Bureau says the average cost of preparing a Thanksgiving dinner fell to its lowest level in a decade last year—but 2021 is a very different story. Price hikes on numerous items for a variety of reasons are set to make this year's Thanksgiving feast the...
Top COVID Official Didn't
Quite Take Her Own Advice
Dec 20, 2020 2:55 PM CST
Top COVID Official Didn't Quite Take Her Own Advice
Deborah Birx travels with family to Delaware
- Deborah Birx tells Americans to "be vigilant" and celebrate only with "your immediate household" over the holidays, but many struggle to take that advice—including Birx herself, the AP reports. Birx, who coordinates the White House coronavirus response, visited a vacation home in Delaware last month with three...
Hard to Get
sunday talk shows
Nov 29, 2020 1:25 PM CST
Trump: 'It's Hard to Get Into the Supreme Court'
The president addresses whether he can take his election case to the high court
- President Trump struck a somber note Sunday about his attempt to overturn the 2020 election results, CNBC reports. "Well, the problem is, it's hard to get into the Supreme Court," he said on Fox News'
Sunday Morning Futures
. "I've got the best Supreme Court advocates,...
Cops Got a Call on a 7-Eleven
Shooting. Then, More Calls
Nov 27, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Cops Got a Call on a 7-Eleven Shooting. Then, More Calls
1 dead, 4 injured on Thanksgiving in apparent 'random' Nev. shootings; suspects nabbed in Ariz.
- Thanksgiving got off with a bang in Henderson, Nev., where police say a couple was driving around early Thursday "randomly shooting at citizens with no apparent motive." A 22-year-old man was killed and four other people were wounded at various locations in the area, Henderson police said in...
Macy's Takes Heat Over
'Diverse Dance Group'
Nov 26, 2020 5:05 PM CST
Macy's Takes Heat Over 'Diverse Dance Group'
Social media posts criticize 'reductive description' of 100-year-old Black sorority
- There was a problem with a cheery Macy's tweet introducing an entry in its Thanksgiving Day Parade. "What's that sound, you ask? Why it's the diverse dance group, Zeta Phi Beta Steppers!" the Thursday post said. "Performing a special routine they put together to...
Despite COVID Surge,
Wednesday Was Busiest
Travel Day This Year
Nov 26, 2020 3:05 PM CST
Despite COVID Surge, Wednesday Was Busiest Travel Day This Year
Millions disregarded pleas to stay home
- Millions of Americans took to the skies and the highways ahead of Thanksgiving, disregarding increasingly dire warnings that they stay home and limit their holiday gatherings to members of their own household. Those who are flying witnessed a distinctly 2020 landscape at the nation’s airports: plexiglass barriers in front...
Alex Trebek Recorded
a Thanksgiving Message
Nov 26, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Alex Trebek Recorded a Thanksgiving Message
Jeopardy! shares clip from one of his final days filming
has shared a Thanksgiving message from Alex Trebek recorded in one of the last filming sessions for the show before his Nov 8 death . The show tweeted the moving clip hours before Thursday's episode was to air, the
New York Daily News
reports. "Happy Thanksgiving, ladies and...
A Thanksgiving Prank
Nov 26, 2020 7:30 AM CST
A Thanksgiving Prank Rattled NASA in 1991
It involved a Turkish satellite
- He missed a key word in the phone call he answered at Mission Control in Houston in the early hours of Thanksgiving 1991. Lead Flight Director Milt Heflin picked up the phone and was given a warning by his flight dynamics officer: Air Force trackers who monitor orbital traffic had...
Mayor Traveled for Holiday
as He Told Residents Not To
Nov 26, 2020 1:17 AM CST
Mayor Traveled for Holiday as He Told Residents Not To
Denver mayor is in Mississippi to see his wife and daughter
- The mayor of Denver, Colorado, was one of many officials urging residents of his city not to travel for Thanksgiving—but it turns out he himself is, yes, you guessed it, traveling for Thanksgiving. "My wife and my daughter have been in Mississippi, where my daughter recently took a...
For US Troops,
Be Very Different
Nov 25, 2020 5:46 PM CST
For US Troops, Thanksgiving Will Be Very Different
Pentagon warns against dining hall gatherings
- The Pentagon has shipped over a quarter million pounds of Thanksgiving dinner, including 51,000 pounds of roast turkey, to troops serving overseas—but their holiday dinners will be a very different experience this year. The Defense Department says that to stop the spread of COVID at overseas bases, Thanksgiving...
Nov 25, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Biden: We Must 'Steel Our Spines' This Holiday
The president-elect calls on Americans to help curb the coronavirus
- In a time of plague and raw division, President-elect Joe Biden appealed for unity Wednesday in a Thanksgiving-eve address to the nation asking Americans to "steel our spines" for a fight against the coronavirus that he predicted would continue for months, the AP reports. But even as he implored...
His Last Turkey
Nov 24, 2020 3:25 PM CST
Trump Pardons His Last Turkey
President discusses vaccine at White House event
- President Trump has issued his first pardon since allowing the presidential transition to begin . "Corn, I grant you a full pardon," the president told a large white turkey brought to Washington, DC from Iowa for the traditional White House turkey pardon ceremony Tuesday. Corn had been chosen over...
White House Plans Parties
Amid Warnings to Hunker Down
Nov 24, 2020 9:35 AM CST
White House Plans Parties Amid Warnings to Hunker Down
Melania Trump will host 'holiday reception,' with other parties to follow
- Health officials have been issuing warnings against traveling and gathering for the holidays in the midst of a coronavirus surge across the US, but 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue doesn't seem fazed by the cautionary advice. Despite the White House's own issues with COVID-19 after an indoor election night party...
More Than 3M Went Through
US Airports Over the Weekend
Nov 23, 2020 2:01 PM CST
More Than 3M Went Through US Airports Over the Weekend
It was the busiest weekend since mid-March
- More than 1 million Americans a day packed airports and planes over the weekend even as coronavirus deaths surged across the US and public health experts begged people to stay home and avoid big Thanksgiving gatherings. And the crowds are only expected to grow. Next Sunday is likely to be...
Americans Shrug Off
CDC Pleas to Stay Home
Nov 22, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Americans Shrug Off CDC Pleas to Stay Home
Millions of plane tickets were already bought
- Millions of Americans bought tickets to fly somewhere for Thanksgiving before the nation's top public health agency pleaded with them not to travel for the holiday, the AP reports. So what are they doing now? In many cases, they're still crowding airports and boarding planes. That's despite...
Has a Plea
Nov 20, 2020 11:11 AM CST
Rachel Maddow Has a Plea After Partner's Close Call
She wants people to skip Thanksgiving travel because of COVID
- Viewers knew Rachel Maddow had contact with someone with COVID-19, hence her two-week quarantine beginning Nov. 6. But until Maddow's return to MSNBC on Thursday, they didn't know just how close that contact was. Broadcasting live from home, Maddow told viewers that "the center of my universe,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.