Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One of Detroit's Big 3 Is
Making Its Next Big Move
Nov 14, 2023 6:37 AM CST
One of Detroit's Big 3 Is Making Its Next Big Move
Stellantis plans on offering buyout packages to about half of its salaried workers
- The autoworkers strike is over , but one of Detroit's Big Three is now making another move it hopes will help its bottom line. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that on Monday, Mark Stewart, CEO of Chrysler parent company Stellantis, announced in a meeting that the company is offering buyouts...
GM Also Cuts a Deal,
Ending UAW Strikes
Oct 30, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
GM Also Cuts a Deal, Ending UAW Strikes
General Motors agreement comes after Ford and Stellantis struck deals of their own
- General Motors and the United Auto Workers union have reached a tentative contract agreement, according to multiple reports, including from the AP , the
Wall Street Journal
, and CNBC . The deal follows the pattern set with Ford last week and Jeep maker Stellantis over the weekend, and would bring an end...
In Historic Move, Biden
Joins UAW Picket Line
Sep 26, 2023 12:56 PM CDT
In Historic Move, Biden Joins UAW Picket Line
He is believed to be the first sitting president to march with striking workers
- President Biden flew to Michigan Tuesday and did something no sitting president has ever done : He joined a picket line. "You deserve the significant raise you need," Biden told striking United Auto Workers in Van Buren Township, via a bullhorn. The AP reports that he walked along the...
Biden Makes Big
on UAW Strike
Sep 23, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
President is heading to Michigan on Tuesday to stand with union workers on the picket line
- The United Auto Workers strike expanded on Friday , with union workers walking out of dozens of additional parts-distribution centers across the nation amid sluggish negotiations with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, Detroit's "Big Three" automakers. Now, a big-name boost is heading to the picket line next week: President...
The UAW Strike
Just Got a Lot Bigger
Sep 22, 2023 10:12 AM CDT
The UAW Strike Just Got a Lot Bigger
Workers are walking out of GM, Stellantis plants in 20 states but Ford is being spared
- The president of the United Auto Workers said Friday the union will expand its strike against major automakers by walking out of 38 General Motors and Stellantis parts distribution centers in 20 states. Ford was spared additional strikes because the company has met some of the union's demands during...
Warning to UAW:
Don't Kill 'the Goose
That Lays the Golden Egg'
Sep 21, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Warning to UAW: Don't Kill 'the Goose That Lays the Golden Egg'
In 'NYT' op-ed, Steven Rattner worries about strike's 'implications for our economy,' and for Biden
- The United Auto Workers union is threatening to expand its targeted strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers if major advances aren't seen in contract negotiations by Friday. But at least one person thinks that the UAW is "overplaying its hand" in taking on Ford, General Motors, and...
For Biden, UAW Strike
Is High Stakes
Sep 15, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
For Biden, UAW Strike Is High Stakes
President's economic vision is just one issue on the line
- President Biden on Friday addressed the autoworkers strike he said nobody wanted. "Workers deserve a fair share," Biden said in remarks delivered at the White House. "The companies have made some significant offers, but I believe it should go further to ensure record corporate profits mean record...
The Car-Building Process
May Soon Be Upended
Sep 15, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
The Car-Building Process May Soon Be Upended
Tesla is mulling a 3D-printing move that could decrease production costs big time
- Tesla is working behind the curtain on a new manufacturing process that the Verge notes could prove to be a "huge industrial breakthrough." Multiple sources tell Reuters that the EV company is playing around with a new process that would allow it to die-cast pretty much the entire...
How a Potential Autoworker
Strike May Affect Car Prices
Sep 11, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
How a Potential Autoworker Strike May Affect Car Prices
If it goes into November, forget about year-end sales for big US automakers
- The nation is on the brink of another massive strike, with about 150,000 US autoworkers threatening to walk off the job when their current contract expires at 11:59pm Thursday. By all accounts, the United Auto Workers union is far from a deal with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis...
On Labor Day,
a Major Strike Looms
Sep 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
On Labor Day, a Major Strike Looms
'More combative' United Auto Workers union makes demands ahead of contract expiration on Sept. 14
- A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour workweek with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. The demands that a more combative United Auto Workers union has pressed on General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford—demands that even the UAW's own president calls "audacious"— are edging it...
Want a New Car Under $20K?
You've Now Got One Option
Aug 21, 2023 2:01 PM CDT
Want a New Car Under $20K? You've Now Got One Option
It's the Mitsubishi Mirage, and it's apparently going the way of the dodo
- Not so long ago, in a United States not so far away, car buyers looking for a new ride under the relatively bargain price point of $20,000 had a dozen options from which to choose. Just five years later, that car buyer has one—the Mitsubishi Mirage—and even...
Attention, Used-Car Buyers:
Prices Are Rising Again
Mar 30, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Attention, Used-Car Buyers: Prices Are Rising Again
For those in the market for a secondhand vehicle, it might not pay to wait
- Well, it was nice while it lasted. For nearly a year, the average used vehicle in the United States had been edging toward affordable again for millions of people. The relief felt belated and relatively slight, but it was welcome nonetheless. From an eye-watering peak of $31,400 in April...
Ford Patent Sees Weird
Twist to Self-Driving Cars
Mar 6, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Ford Patent Sees Weird Twist to Self-Driving Cars
Vehicles would lock out owners behind on payments, drive themselves away for repos
- The Drive has spotted a doozy of a patent application from Ford, one that takes the concept of self-driving cars down an unexpected road. The new technology would first allow the vehicle to lock out owners if they fall behind on payments. The crazier part is that the vehicle would...
Jan 16, 2023 5:15 PM CST
Electric Vehicles Power Past Sales Milestone
They accounted for 10% of new vehicles sales worldwide last year
- Electric vehicles powered past a major milestone last year, reaching 10% of market share for the first time amid a broader decline in sales of new vehicles. While sales of new electric vehicles in the US are lagging behind, at just under 6%, the LMC Automotive research group says EVs...
Dec 23, 2022 10:02 AM CST
Tesla's Big New Discount Raises Concerns
US buyers can get $7.5K off, which may be a sign of weakening demand
- In assessing Elon Musk's business strategy at Tesla, the
Wall Street Journal
observes that Musk "has frequently boasted how Tesla stands apart from traditional car companies by not relying on the kind of marketing tools, such as advertisements or discounting, to goose demand." Consider demand goosed, in...
Ford Announces 3K Layoffs
Aug 22, 2022 12:07 PM CDT
Ford Announces 3K Layoffs
Company trims white-collar jobs as part of transition to electric vehicles
- Ford Motor Co. is cutting about 3,000 white-collar jobs as it attempts to lower costs and make the transition from internal combustion to electric vehicles, per the AP . Leaders of the automaker made the announcement Monday in a companywide email, saying that 2,000 full-time salaried workers would be...
What Reviewers Think
of Ford's Electric Truck
May 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
What Reviewers Think of Ford's Electric Truck
In short, they are very impressed with the Lightning
- Automotive journalists got to take the new Ford F-150 electric pickup for a spin, and the reviews are downright glowing. Gas-powered F-series trucks have long been the best-selling vehicles in America, and the electric Lightning may continue the trend if the reviews are any indication. The truck, now in production,...
Inside America's Race for
a Better Electric Car Battery
Mar 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Inside America's Race for a Better Electric Car Battery
Auto giants hope small start-ups can propel America in the race for a better battery
- Big problems in the supply chain for electric-car batteries came to light last March, when Elon Musk partnered directly with a New Caledonian nickel mine amid rumors that China was planning export limits,
reported at the time. China retains a "near-monopoly position" on the world’s production and...
Our Car-Buying Ways
May Be Changing for Good
Mar 6, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Our Car-Buying Ways May Be Changing for Good
Customers are revolting at dealerships, having to pay more than sticker price
- Pre-pandemic, if you paid above MSRP for a new car, you probably never admitted it to anyone else. No need to kick yourself now. Last month, per Edmunds.com , 82% of car buyers paid $728 over sticker, or 1.6% on average, and markups over $10,000 are not uncommon...
Yoke Steering Wheel Blamed
for Tesla's Rankings Tumble
Feb 18, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Yoke Steering Wheel Blamed for Tesla's Rankings Tumble
Electric vehicle maker dropped 7 places in the 'Consumer Reports' list of 32
- Tesla has tumbled down the rankings in the latest
list of car brands—and its Model 3 is no longer the top electric vehicle in the magazine's list of top picks. Tesla dropped seven places in the brand rankings to No. 23 out of 32 because of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.