Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Controlling' Father Guilty of
Murdering Teen Daughters
Aug 9, 2022 5:29 PM CDT
'Controlling' Father Guilty of Murdering Teen Daughters
Yaser Said evaded arrest for 12 years after Dallas-area killings
- A suburban Dallas man who evaded arrest for more than 12 years after the fatal shootings of his two teenage daughters in 2008 was convicted Tuesday in the killings that prosecutors said were driven by his obsessive desire for control. Yaser Said, 65, was found guilty of capital murder in...
Prosecutor: His Daughters Said
He'd Kill Them, and He Did
Aug 3, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Prosecutor: His Daughters Said He'd Kill Them, and He Did
Yaser Said, 65, is accused of shooting his teen daughters dead in 2008
- A man who evaded arrest for more than 12 years after being accused of fatally shooting his two teenage daughters in a taxi parked near a Dallas-area hotel was "obsessed with possession and control," a prosecutor said Tuesday during opening statements of his capital murder trial. Yaser Said,...
With Kristin Smart's Body Still
Missing, Murder Trial Begins
Jul 18, 2022 1:31 PM CDT
With Kristin Smart's Body Still Missing, Murder Trial Begins
Paul Flores accused of her 1996 murder
- The smiling face of Kristin Smart still looks out from a billboard in front of attorney James Murphy Jr.’s law office more than 25 years after the college freshman vanished from a campus on California's picturesque central coast. It once offered a $75,000 reward to help...
Jury Acquits Man Who Once
Confessed in Teacher's Death
May 20, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Jury Acquits Man Who Once Confessed in Teacher's Death
Ryan Duke, convicted on a lesser charge, now says a friend killed Tara Grinstead
: A Georgia jury has acquitted Ryan Duke of murder charges in the 2005 killing of a high school teacher in her home, a crime he once confessed to. The defendant reversed his confession during the nine-day trial, Fox News reports, and accused his best friend instead. He said Bo...
Prosecutors Drop Charges
Days Before Murder Trial
Apr 19, 2022 7:34 PM CDT
Prosecutors Drop Charges Days Before Murder Trial
Colorado man Barry Morphew was accused of killing wife Suzanne in 2020
: Prosecutors in Colorado have dropped all charges against Barry Morphew just nine days before he was due to stand trial. Morphew was charged with murder and other crimes last year, almost a year after his wife Suzanne disappeared. District Attorney Linda Stanley moved to drop the charges weeks after...
Lawmaker's Death Was an
'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
Apr 12, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Lawmaker's Death Was an 'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
ISIS supporter Ali Harbi Ali, 26, found guilty of stabbing UK lawmaker David Amess to death
- A jury deliberated for just 18 minutes Monday before finding a fervent Islamic State supporter guilty of stabbing lawmaker David Amess to death, a slaying that shocked the nation and sparked calls for increased police protection for politicians. Ali Harbi Ali, 26, was found guilty by London's Central Criminal...
Trial Begins in Case of Girl
Who Vanished From Wedding
Jan 31, 2022 4:27 AM CST
Trial Begins in Case of Girl Who Vanished From Wedding
Dog trainer Nordahl Lelandais is accused of kidnapping and killing Maëlys de Araujo
- The man accused in the disappearance of 8-year-old Maëlys de Araujo at a wedding in the French Alps goes on trial Monday in Grenoble. Dog trainer Nordahl Lelandais, who is accused of kidnapping and killing Maëlys, faces up to life in prison if convicted, reports the AP . The...
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop
Jan 12, 2022 12:27 AM CST
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop Convicted of Killing Daughter's Black Boyfriend
Shannon Kepler convicted of murder in federal trial
A former Oklahoma police officer has been tried and convicted, again, in the 2014 killing of his daughter's Black boyfriend. Shannon Kepler, who was tried four times in state court, was convicted (this time in his first trial in federal court) of second-degree murder, the AP reports. He...
Court Told Shotgun Blasts Left
Gaping Hole in Arbery's Chest
Nov 16, 2021 4:28 PM CST
Court Told Shotgun Blasts Left Gaping Hole in Arbery's Chest
Dr. Edmund Donoghue testifies as graphic autopsy photos are shown
- First responders would have been powerless to save Ahmaud Arbery, a forensic pathologist at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation testified Tuesday at the trial of the three men accused of his murder.
reports Dr. Edmund Donoghue described the bullet wounds Arbery suffered in detail, specifying injuries to his...
Sorry for 'Black
Nov 12, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Attorney in Arbery Trial: Sorry for 'Black Pastors' Remark
Defense lawyer Kevin Gough apologizes to those who were 'inadvertently' offended
The defense attorney in the Ahmaud Arbery murder trial who told the judge he didn't want to see any more "Black pastors" in the courtroom is now offering a mea culpa. "My apologies to anyone who might have inadvertently been offended," Kevin Gough said, per...
Robert Durst: Yes, I Wrote
the Infamous 'Cadaver Note'
Aug 17, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Robert Durst: Yes, I Wrote the Infamous 'Cadaver Note'
Admits it's 'difficult to believe' he wrote tipoff note but didn't kill Susan Berman
- Murder suspect Robert Durst admitted for the first time Monday something that those following the case probably already knew—he wrote what has come to be known as the "cadaver note." The note has long been a key piece of evidence in the case of Susan Berman, a...
Durst Says He Lied to Cops
About Night Wife Disappeared
Aug 12, 2021 4:04 AM CDT
Durst Says He Lied to Cops About Night Wife Disappeared
He falsely claimed to have spoken to her days after she was last seen
- Real estate heir Robert Durst testified Wednesday that he has changed his mind many times about whether he actually saw his wife step onto a commuter train for Manhattan on the night she disappeared in 1982, and said he lied to police when he told them he later spoke to...
'Boy Next Door Killer' Gets
Death Sentence for 2 Murders
Jul 17, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
'Boy Next Door Killer' Gets Death Sentence for 2 Murders
Michael Thomas Gargiulo was convicted two years ago for the home invasions and killings
- For crimes he called “vicious and frightening,” a judge on Friday gave a death sentence to a man prosecutors called “The Boy Next Door Killer” for the home-invasion murders of two women and the attempted murder of a third. Victims' family members wept as Los Angeles Superior...
Made to Testify, Durst's
Brother Speaks: 'He'd
Like to Murder Me'
Jun 29, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Made to Testify, Durst's Brother Speaks: 'He'd Like to Murder Me'
Douglas Durst fears his brother 'may have the means to do so,' despite being locked up
- The estranged brother of Robert Durst, the real estate heir on trial in his best friend's slaying , testified under threat of subpoena Monday that the two never got along and he feared his oldest sibling would kill him. "He'd like to murder me," Douglas Durst bluntly...
She Could've Gotten
Life. What Prosecutors
Sought Made Her Faint
in case you missed it
Jun 27, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
She Could've Gotten Life. What Prosecutors Sought Made Her Faint
Frenchwoman Valerie Bacot collapses in court on Friday
- A Frenchwoman on trial for murdering her abusive husband , who was her abusive stepfather before he forced her to marry him, collapsed in court Friday after hearing how long prosecutors were asking for her to spend in prison. Valerie Bacot, now 40, could have seen life in prison after admitting...
He Was Her Stepdad, Then Her
Husband. Now, a Murder Trial
Jun 21, 2021 12:38 PM CDT
He Was Her Stepdad, Then Her Husband. Now, a Murder Trial
More than 600K call for release of Valerie Bacot, who says Daniel Polette abused her for 24 years
- The trial of a Frenchwoman who allegedly shot her husband to death started Monday, and the suspect herself says she deserves to be punished. But Valerie Bacot's story has infuriated activists on domestic violence who say she should be given her freedom, as her husband was also her stepfather,...
He Reluctantly Testified.
Now His Home Is
Burned and He's Gone
in case you missed it
Jun 19, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
He Reluctantly Testified. Now His Home Is Burned and He's Gone
FBI is on the case of missing murder-trial witness in Brownstown, Wash.
- Tim Castilleja was scared to admit in court what he'd told federal agents: that on May 3, 2019, he'd seen a man brandishing a rifle and a woman frantically cleaning out a vehicle at his tavern in Brownstown, Wash., on the Yakama Indian Reservation. Federal agents—making the...
Grills His Own
Young Son in Court
Jun 17, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
Murder Suspect Grills His Own Young Son in Court
'You stabbed me,' 11-year-old tells dad acting as his own lawyer and cross-examining the boy
- An 11-year-old witness to the murder of his mom and older sister testified this week in the trial of the first-degree murder suspect, who's also accused of stabbing the boy, dousing him in gasoline, and setting him, and the boy's home, on fire. The suspect, Ronnie Oneal III,...
May 27, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Mollie Tibbetts' Alleged Killer Reverses Confession
Wednesday's testimony came as surprise to prosecutors
- The man on trial for the 2018 stabbing death of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts took the stand Wednesday to claim her killers were walking free. Testifying through an interpreter, Mexican national Cristhian Bahena Rivera said two masked men, one carrying a gun and another a knife, showed up...
DNA to Be
May 4, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
DNA to Be Tested Decades After Warmus' Conviction
Killer spent 27 years in prison for killing her lover's wife in 1989
- Prosecutors in New York have consented to DNA testing of evidence from the 1992 trial of so-called "Fatal Attraction" killer Carolyn Warmus, who was paroled two years ago after serving 27 years in prison for the murder of her lover's wife. Westchester County District Attorney Mimi Rocah consented...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.