Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Barrels Into Florida
Aug 30, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
'Unprecedented' Idalia Barrels Into Florida
Hurricane made landfall as Category 3 storm along western Big Bend region
- Hurricane Idalia briefly strengthened to a dangerous Category 4 storm, then fell back to Category 3 status on Wednesday morning as it made landfall in Florida's Big Bend region, where it threatened to unleash massive rainfall and life-threatening storm surges as high as 15 feet. As it made landfall...
Nearly 50% of Florida
Under State of Emergency
Aug 28, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Nearly 50% of Florida Under State of Emergency
State braces for hurricane as another wreaks havoc in Caribbean
- Tropical Storm Idalia, brewing off the east coast of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, is expected to become a hurricane on Tuesday and threaten the US soon after. The storm had maximum sustained winds of 40mph on Sunday when it was 95 miles from Cozumel, Mexico, and moving northeast at 3mph,...
2 Police Officers
at Mississippi Motel
Dec 15, 2022 9:51 AM CST
Veterinarian Kills 2 Police Officers at Mississippi Motel
Bay St. Louis officers were shot after responding to call for a wellness check
- Two police officers in a town along Mississippi's Gulf Coast were fatally shot in a Motel 6 parking lot early Wednesday by a woman who apparently took her own life shortly afterward, police say. The shooter was identified as Amy Brogdon Anderson, a 43-year-old veterinarian from Ocean Springs, the...
For US Gulf Coast,
a Dire Warning
Mar 3, 2022 1:34 PM CST
For US Gulf Coast, a Dire Warning
UN report forecasts severe climate trouble in the coming years
- Hurricane Harvey dumped more than 50 inches of rain on parts of the Texas coast in 2017. Then in 2020, ferocious winds from Hurricane Laura destroyed homes across coastal Louisiana. Hurricane Ida hit in 2021, leaving the entire city of New Orleans without power for days. Such extreme weather is...
Apparent Victim of America's
Most Prolific Serial Killer ID'd
Sep 23, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Apparent Victim of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer ID'd
It took 44 years to name Clara Birdlong
- Authorities have identified a woman found dead in Mississippi 44 years ago, who is believed to be yet another victim of America's most prolific serial killer. Samuel Little, who died in a California prison in January , was convicted of three murders in 2014, but later confessed to killing 93...
All of New Orleans Loses
Power as Ida Rolls Through
Aug 30, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
All of New Orleans Loses Power as Ida Rolls Through
Power is out as hurricane is downgraded to a tropical storm
- The entire city of New Orleans was without power Monday morning thanks to Hurricane Ida. The weather system is now over Mississippi, having been downgraded to a tropical storm 16 hours after making landfall in Louisiana, reports the AP . Despite the downgrade, storm surges, winds, and heavy rain pose a...
Hurricane Ida Storm Surge
Will Be 'Unsurvivable'
Aug 29, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Hurricane Ida Storm Surge Will Be 'Unsurvivable'
Now a category 4 as Gulf Coast landfall imminent
- As predicted, Hurricane Ida has strengthened to a devastating category 4 storm as it makes its inevitable march toward the Gulf Coast early Sunday, the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall. Per CNN , the storm now has sustained winds of 150mph, which puts it just under a catastrophic category...
Tropical Storm Claudette
Charts a Soggy Course
Jun 19, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Tropical Storm Claudette Charts a Soggy Course
Flash floods, tornadoes are a possibility in Gulf Coast states
- Tropical Storm Claudette dumped heavy rain across coastal areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama as it chugged inland Saturday, threatening flash floods and possibly tornadoes along its soggy course across the Southeast. The National Hurricane Center declared Claudette organized enough to qualify as a named storm at 4am Saturday, well...
News on Boat That Capsized
Off Louisiana Coast Is Grim
Apr 15, 2021 1:37 AM CDT
News on Boat That Capsized Off Louisiana Coast Is Grim
1 person has been found dead; 12 are still missing
- An area larger than Rhode Island has been searched by Coast Guard boats and aircraft following the Tuesday afternoon capsizing of a commercial lift boat off the coast of Louisiana. There were 19 crew members aboard the offshore oil rig, also known as a jackup rig, and just six have...
Here's What's Worrying
New Orleans as
Zeta Takes Aim
Oct 28, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Here's What's Worrying New Orleans as Zeta Takes Aim
Gulf Coast steeling itself for 11th hurricane of the season
- Residents of the storm-pummeled Gulf Coast steeled themselves Tuesday for yet another tropical weather strike as Tropical Storm Zeta took aim at southeast Louisiana, fraying the nerves of evacuees from earlier storms and raising concerns in New Orleans about the low-lying city’s antiquated drainage pump system. Zeta, the 27th...
Gulf Coast Braces for
No One Wants
Oct 27, 2020 1:12 AM CDT
Gulf Coast Braces for Possible Record No One Wants
Zeta could be 11th named storm to make landfall in the US this season
- Yet again, the Gulf Coast is bracing as another hurricane roars toward it. Zeta, the 27th named storm of the 2020 season, was upgraded to a hurricane Monday, NBC News reports. It made landfall on the Caribbean coast of Mexico's eastern Yucatan Peninsula late Monday, the AP reports. It'...
Coast Battens Down
Ahead of New Storm
Sep 20, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
Coast Battens Down Ahead of New Storm
Beta closes in on Texas and Louisiana
- Tropical Storm Beta on Sunday was making a slow crawl toward the shores of Texas and Louisiana, stirring worries about heavy rain, flooding, and storm surge across the Gulf Coast. Beta was one of three named storms whirling in the Atlantic basin during an exceptionally busy hurricane season, the AP...
Hurricane Sally Moving
Slowly, and That's Bad
Sep 15, 2020 11:46 AM CDT
Hurricane Sally Moving Slowly, and That's Bad
Storm is gathering a huge amount of water to be dumped on land
- Hurricane Sally, a plodding storm with winds of 85 mph, crept toward the northern Gulf Coast on Tuesday as forecasters warned of potentially deadly storm surges and flash floods with the heaviest downpours dumping nearly 2 feet of rain. Forecasters said the storm's drifting pace made it difficult to...
Gulf Coast, Beware:
Here Comes Sally
Sep 14, 2020 11:46 AM CDT
Gulf Coast, Beware: Here Comes Sally
Storm expected to make landfall as a hurricane early Tuesday
- Just what the Gulf Coast didn't want: another hurricane. Sally earned the designation Monday with winds of up to 85mph, says the National Hurricane Center. The storm is expected to make landfall as a Category 2 hurricane early Tuesday in southeastern Louisiana, though it's still too early to...
Louisiana Hasn't Seen a
Storm Like This Since 1856
Aug 27, 2020 6:28 AM CDT
Louisiana Hasn't Seen a Storm Like This Since 1856
Hurricane Laura makes landfall
- Hundreds of thousands were told to evacuate ahead of what the National Hurricane Center called an "unsurvivable storm surge" from Hurricane Laura, and early Thursday it made landfall as a category 4 storm. It was intensifying rapidly as it approached land and was nearing the highest level of category...
400K Told to Evacuate
Ahead of Hurricane
Aug 25, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
400K Told to Evacuate Ahead of Hurricane
Laura expected to be a Category 3 before slamming into Texas and Louisiana this week
- Tropical Storm Marco didn't pack as powerful a punch as feared, but Hurricane Laura is coming in fierce on its heels. The National Hurricane Center is warning that Laura will turn into a "major" Category 3 hurricane with winds of 115mph before it comes ashore on the Gulf...
Marco Is a Hurricane,
and It's Not Alone
Aug 23, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Marco Is a Hurricane, and It's Not Alone
Tropical Storm Laura is also headed for the US coast
- Marco became a hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico Sunday on a path toward the Louisiana coast. Tropical Storm Laura battered the Dominican Republic and Haiti and headed to the same part of the US coast, also as a potential hurricane, the AP reports. It would be the first time...
Jul 25, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Hurricane Hanna Makes Landfall
The main hazard is expected to be flash flooding
- Hurricane Hanna made landfall on Texas' Padre Island on Saturday afternoon. The storm made landfall about 15 miles north of Port Mansfield, Texas, with maximum winds of 90 mph, the US National Hurricane Center said in a 5pm CDT update, the AP reports. Local officials on Saturday asked residents to...
Scientists to Explore a
Deep Blue Hole Off Florida
Jul 23, 2020 7:56 AM CDT
Scientists to Explore a Deep Blue Hole Off Florida
Scientists to scour 425-foot-deep 'Green Banana' starting next month
- Scientists are on the hunt for undiscovered phenomenon inside a 425-foot-deep "blue hole" off the Florida coast. Little is known about such holes, which are similar to sink holes on land and are "scattered across Florida's Gulf continental shelf" but very difficult to access, according to the...
Huge Dust Cloud
Heads for America
Jun 20, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Huge Dust Cloud Heads for America
The Saharan dust is expected to hit the Gulf Coast this week
- Gulf Coast residents, get ready for brilliant sunsets—and a few possible health hazards. A massive dust cloud is heading west across the Atlantic and could affect the lives of people from Florida to Texas, AccuWeather reports. "According to scientists ... this is an abnormally large dust cloud," says...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.