Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Haley to Launch $10M Ad
Blitz to Overtake DeSantis
Nov 13, 2023 12:12 PM CST
Haley to Launch $10M Ad Blitz to Overtake DeSantis
Former UN ambassador plans TV, radio, and digital ads in Iowa, New Hampshire
- Nikki Haley's presidential campaign will reserve $10 million in television, radio, and digital advertising across Iowa and New Hampshire beginning in the first week of December, a massive investment designed to give the former United Nations ambassador an advantage over Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Details of the advertising plans,...
Court Orders New Primary
in Ballot-Stuffing Suit
Nov 1, 2023 4:37 PM CDT
Court Orders New Primary in Ballot-Stuffing Suit
After watching video, Connecticut judge says he can't tell what the genuine result is
- A state judge has taken the unusual step of ordering a new Democratic mayoral primary in Connecticut's largest city to be held after the Nov. 7 general election is completed. The decision comes after surveillance videos showed a woman stuffing what appeared to be absentee ballots into an outdoor...
Kevin McCarthy Faces Primary
Challenge From Trump Backer
Oct 31, 2023 11:34 AM CDT
Kevin McCarthy Faces Primary Challenge From Trump Backer
David Giglio hopes to oust the former House speaker from Congress
- Kevin McCarthy lost his position as speaker of the House because of the right flank of his party. Now he'll have to fend off the same type of challenge in order to keep his seat in Congress. The Hill reports that David Giglio, an avowed supporter of Donald Trump,...
Another Dem Jumping
in the Race Against Biden
Oct 27, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Another Dem Jumping in the Race Against Biden
Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips plans to announce he's taking on president from his own party
- President Biden already has a slew of Republicans vying for his job in the Oval Office— including the current frontrunner from that party, former President Trump—as well as fellow Democrats Marianne Williamson and Cenk Uygur , and independent candidates Cornel West and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Now, another Dem is...
Inside California Dems' Effort
to Boot Trump From Ballot
Sep 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Inside California Dems' Effort to Boot Trump From Ballot
Group asks state attorney general to expedite court ruling on former president's eligibility
- Nine Democrats in California are seeking an expedited court ruling that could bar former President Donald Trump from the March 5 presidential primary ballot, claiming he's ineligible to resume office. The lawmakers—who echo conservative law scholars in arguing Trump may have violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment,...
Dec 2, 2022 1:22 AM CST
Biden's Primary Proposal: Let South Carolina Go First
Iowa, New Hampshire aren't fans of the idea
- President Biden is proposing what
calls a "massive overhaul" of the primary calendar, though the final decision rests with the Democratic National Committee. Biden's idea is to replace Iowa, whose caucuses currently kick off the nominating season, with South Carolina. Under his proposal, South Carolina, New...
GOP Tweet Saying
to Shoot US Agents
Brings Twitter Ban
Aug 20, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Tweet Saying to Shoot US Agents Brings Twitter Ban
Republican in Florida statehouse race suggests threat was taken out of context, though he stands by it
- US officials, including the FBI director, have decried an increase in threats to federal agents. There have been attempts to carry out such threats , as well. Another one was posted Thursday on Twitter, saying: "Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all...
Cemented a New GOP
Aug 17, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's Primaries Cemented a New GOP
Cheney vows to continue fighting 'against those who would destroy our republic'
- Liz Cheney knew she was fighting a losing battle. Had she cozied up to Donald Trump, she might have easily won her Wyoming primary on Tuesday instead of losing handily (she had 29% support to Harriet Hageman's 66%, with 99% of expected votes counted, per the
Murkowski and Palin
Advance in Alaska Primary
Aug 17, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Murkowski and Palin Advance in Alaska Primary
This year marks the state's first use of ranked-choice voting
- Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski advanced from her primary along with Kelly Tshibaka, her GOP rival endorsed by former President Trump, while another Trump-backed Republican, Sarah Palin, was among the candidates bound for the November general election in the race for Alaska's only House seat. Per the AP , Murkowski...
Aug 17, 2022 6:53 AM CDT
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
Trump-backed challenger Harriet Hageman wins
- As expected , Liz Cheney lost her primary Tuesday in Wyoming. The congresswoman lost to Harriet Hageman, who was backed by former President Trump—who was, as NBC News puts it, seeking "revenge" on Cheney for voting to impeach him when he was president, as well as for sitting...
3 Big Names
on Ballot, Plus
One That Isn't
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Primary Day: 3 Big Names on Ballot, Plus One That Isn't
Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, and Lisa Murkowski fight to move on, all with fates tied to Donald Trump
- Pretty much all the focus in Tuesday's primary schedule is on three high-profile names—Liz Cheney, Lisa Murkowski, and Sarah Palin—all of whom have a strong connection to former President Trump. Here's the latest on the contests out of Wyoming and Alaska:
The sentiment about the
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
In Wake of Roe v. Wade,
Kansas Delivers Its Own Verdict
Aug 3, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
In Wake of Roe v. Wade, Kansas Delivers Its Own Verdict
Conservative-leaning state votes to protect abortion rights
- Abortion rights have been upheld in the first state to vote on the issue since the overturning of Roe v. Wade—a reliably Republican state, too. Kansas voters on Tuesday rejected a state constitutional amendment that would have ended abortion protections, meaning the state will remain one of the few...
Aug 3, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Election Deniers Win Their Arizona Primaries
Trump pick Blake Masters will face incumbent Mark Kelly in Nov.; Mark Finchem wins SoS nom
- It was a big night in Arizona for GOP candidates endorsed by former President Trump. First, Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly will be facing off in November against Trump pick Blake Masters, who got the ex-president's thumbs-up in June. First-time political candidate Masters, who has also received support from Silicon...
Trump Endorsed 'Eric' in Mo.
More Than One Eric Accepted
Aug 2, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
Trump Endorsed 'Eric' in Mo. More Than One Eric Accepted
It's unclear if he meant Greitens, Schmitt, or McElroy
- In terms of covering one's bases, Donald Trump may have just hit a home run. Ahead of Missouri's Senate primary on Tuesday, the former president offered up his endorsement Monday night for the GOP candidate he thinks is best for the seat. There was one small but meaningful...
Test of Trump's
Jun 21, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
In Alabama, an Unusual Test of Trump's Influence
Former president initially endorsed Mo Brooks in Senate race, then unendorsed him
- A handful of states are holding contests Tuesday at the midpoint of a primary season that has been shaped by former President Trump's effort to influence the GOP, per the AP . Nowhere is that more in evidence than in Alabama, where GOP Rep. Mo Brooks and fellow Republican Katie...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
It's a Close One
May 18, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
It's a Close One Between Oz, McCormick in Pa. Primary
GOP contenders are neck and neck in state's primary, with Kathy Barnette now out of the race
- Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman has won his state's Democratic primary to run for a US Senate seat being vacated by Republican Pat Toomey, but the race to see which GOPer will face off against him is a nail-biter—and it could be a while before the victor is...
Primary Day Brings
More Tests for Trump
May 17, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Primary Day Brings More Tests for Trump
Including the Senate race featuring Dr. Oz
- Tuesday is another primary day in America, and once again much attention is on races involving Donald Trump. Voters in Kentucky, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Idaho, and Oregon go to the polls, and the AP sees the day as the biggest test so far in the new election cycle of the...
2 Races Are
May 10, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
In Tuesday Primaries, 2 Races Are Trump Tests
Former president backing Alex Mooney in West Virginia and Charles Herbster in Nebraska
- It's another primary day in America, and much of the attention is again focused on a man whose name is not on any ballot—Donald Trump. Candidates backed by the former president—notably Ohio Senate hopeful JD Vance —did well in last week's primaries in Ohio and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.