Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump: 'I Can't Help'
Some GOP Senators
Oct 25, 2020 8:59 AM CDT
Trump: 'I Can't Help' Some GOP Senators
Keeping the Senate in the election is 'very tough,' he tells donors
- Behind closed doors, President Trump has told GOP donors that Republicans will have a hard time holding onto their Senate majority in the election, and that he won't do all he can to help. "The Senate is very tough,” Trump said. "There are a couple senators...
Lindsey Graham's Been
Pleading for Cash. It's Paid Off
Oct 23, 2020 11:54 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham's Been Pleading for Cash. It's Paid Off
GOP senator from SC raised $1M or so a day for first 2 weeks in October
- Lindsey Graham has continued to rake in campaign cash in the closing days of his bid for a fourth term, raising about $1 million a day for the first two weeks of October. Early Friday, Graham's campaign said it had raised nearly $15 million in the first half of...
Biden, Trump in Dead Heat
in One Battleground State
Oct 20, 2020 12:39 PM CDT
Biden, Trump in Dead Heat in One Battleground State
North Carolina is essentially tied
- North Carolina's 15 electors could go either way in the presidential race, a new poll shows, with people who think the economy is the main issue leaning toward President Trump, and people who consider it to be the coronavirus pandemic backing Joe Biden. A
-ABC News poll found...
Confirmation Hearings May
Be 'Last Stand' for Graham
Oct 12, 2020 9:49 AM CDT
Confirmation Hearings May Be 'Last Stand' for Graham
South Carolina senator is in the spotlight as chairman amid his tight reelection race
- Much is at stake in the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett, now underway in DC, and not just in court-related matters. The AP sees the hearings as a possible "last stand" for Lindsey Graham. The 65-year-old South Carolina Republican is locked in a tight race...
Dem Senate Candidate Admits
to Sexts, Won't Drop Out
Oct 3, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Dem Senate Candidate Admits to Sexts, Won't Drop Out
Cal Cunningham, challenging NC GOP Sen. Thom Tillis, was sexting woman who was not his wife
- North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis announced Friday that he has tested positive for COVID-19. Now, bad news for his Democratic challenger, though for something completely unrelated to the virus. Cal Cunningham is apologizing after his campaign confirmed Friday that the married father of two teens had been sexting with a...
Players on Senator's WNBA
Team Back Her Opponent
Aug 5, 2020 10:17 AM CDT
Players on Senator's WNBA Team Back Her Opponent
Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler does not support BLM
- With t-shirts reading "Vote Warnock," players across the WNBA came out against Atlanta Dream co-owner and GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler before their games on Tuesday—including members of Loeffler's own team. It was the latest show of opposition to Loeffler, who faces Democratic challenger Rev. Raphael Warnock...
Runoff Could Be
Jul 14, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Alabama Senate Runoff Could Be Anyone's Game
Tommy Tuberville, backed by Trump, takes on ex-AG Jeff Sessions to see who'll face Doug Jones
- The Alabama runoff election for US Senate was supposed to have been at the end of March, but the pandemic pushed it off for more than three months. Now, Tuesday is the big day for former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, 73, and ex-Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville, 65, facing off...
Nebraska Democrats Want
to Dump Their Senate Pick
Jun 16, 2020 2:53 PM CDT
Nebraska Democrats Want to Dump Their Senate Pick
Female Chris Janicek staffer filed sexual harassment complain
- The Nebraska Democratic Party called on its US Senate nominee to drop out of the race Tuesday after he made sexually repugnant comments about a campaign staffer in a group text with her and other staffers. The party said its state executive committee voted unanimously on Monday evening to withdraw...
Is Staying Put
Jun 1, 2020 2:05 PM CDT
A Deadline Passes: Pompeo Is Staying Put
Secretary of state will not run for vacant Senate seat in Kansas
- The passing of Monday's deadline to file to run for Kansas' open Senate seat confirmed that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo won't be a candidate, per the AP . Republican leaders had not expected Pompeo to give up his post as the nation's top diplomat to seek the...
Jeff Sessions Pushes Back
at New Fiery Trump Tweet
May 23, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Jeff Sessions Pushes Back at New Fiery Trump Tweet
'Your personal feelings don't dictate who Alabama picks as their senator, the people of Alabama do'
- They're at it again. The longtime battle between President Trump and his former attorney general, Jeff Sessions, continues this week as the latter keeps up his run for a US Senate seat out of Alabama, while the former carries on his attack. Trump has already thrown his support behind...
In Graham's Re-Election
Bid, a Fundraising Surprise
Apr 16, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
In Graham's Re-Election Bid, a Fundraising Surprise
Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison outraises the South Carolina incumbent
- Lindsey Graham raised an impressive $5.6 million for his re-election campaign in the first three months of the year, behind only fellow Sens. Mitch McConnell and Martha McSally. But in a surprise, Graham's Democratic challenger in South Carolina raised even more—$7.3 million, reports the
Head to Runoff
in Alabama Race
Mar 3, 2020 11:04 PM CST
Sessions, Tuberville Head to Runoff in Alabama Race
Roy Moore was a distant 4th in GOP primary
- Former US Attorney General Jeff Sessions will face ex-college football coach Tommy Tuberville in a Republican runoff March 31 as the former Alabama senator seeks to regain the longtime seat he held. Sessions and Tuberville won the most votes in the primary Tuesday to advance from a crowded primary field...
Liz Cheney Won't Be
Running for Senate
Jan 16, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Liz Cheney Won't Be Running for Senate
Republican will stay put in Wyoming seat, amid speculation she could be House speaker
- Liz Cheney is staying put in the House. The Wyoming congresswoman said Thursday she won't run for the Senate seat being vacated this year by fellow Republican Mike Enzi, reports Politico . Instead, Cheney will seek reelection to the House, where she serves as chair of the House Republican Conference....
Lewandowski Not Running
for Senate After All
Dec 31, 2019 2:20 PM CST
Lewandowski Not Running for Senate After All
But he's 'certain' he would have won in New Hampshire
- Former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski said Tuesday he is forgoing a run for US Senate in New Hampshire, the AP reports. Lewandowski, a Republican, said on Twitter that his “priorities remain my family and ensuring that @realDonaldTrump is re-elected POTUS.” “While taking on a career politician...
Jeff Sessions Confirms
Senate Run, Praises Trump
Nov 8, 2019 1:23 AM CST
Jeff Sessions Confirms Senate Run, Praises Trump
He says he's still president's 'strongest advocate'
- Jeff Sessions confirmed Thursday that he is running to reclaim the Senate seat he held for 20 years—and while President Trump has called naming Sessions as attorney general the "biggest mistake" of his presidency, Sessions wants to let bygones be bygones. The Alabama Republican described himself as Trump'...
Report: Trump Warned Sessions
Against Senate Comeback Bid
Nov 7, 2019 1:21 AM CST
Report: Trump Warned Sessions Against Senate Comeback Bid
But Alabaman still plans to announce run
- Jeff Sessions is going to take a shot at resuming the Senate career he abandoned for an ill-fated stint in the Trump administration, insiders say. Sources tell the
New York Times
and NPR that the Republican, who served in the Senate for 20 years before becoming President Trump's attorney...
on Senate Run,
Beto Gives an
Aug 16, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Pressed Again on Senate Run, Beto Gives an Answer
It's a no, because 'I'm taking this fight directly to Donald Trump'
- Last weekend, the
editorial board made an impassioned plea to Beto O'Rourke: "Beto, come home. Texas needs you." The opinion piece implored the 2020 presidential candidate to drop out of his current race and make a Senate run in his home state, as he did...
He Once Set His
Sights on Stars.
Now, the Senate
Feb 12, 2019 9:10 AM CST
He Once Set His Sights on Stars. Now, the Senate
Retired astronaut Mark Kelly to run for US Senate out of Arizona
- Retired astronaut Mark Kelly has announced his "next mission"—and it's an ambitious, albeit earthbound, one. "I care about people. I care about the state of Arizona. I care about this nation. So because of that, I've decided I'm launching a campaign for the...
Runoff in Mississippi
Nov 28, 2018 1:08 AM CST
Hyde-Smith Wins Runoff in Mississippi
She personally thanks Trump at victory party
- Mississippi failed to deliver the Democrats an Alabama-style upset in the last race of the 2018 midterms . Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith defeated Democrat Mike Espy and will serve the remaining two years of Sen. Thad Cochran's term. She is the first woman elected to Congress from Mississippi, the
All Eyes on Mississippi
and Last Election of 2018
Nov 27, 2018 10:35 AM CST
All Eyes on Mississippi and Last Election of 2018
Can Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith hold off Democrat Mike Espy?
- Will it be 53-47 or 52-48? The last election of 2018 will determine the Republican advantage in the Senate next year. GOP incumbent Cindy Hyde-Smith is trying to fend off Democratic challenger Mike Espy in Mississippi in Tuesday's special election. As Politico reports, Hyde-Pierce has never trailed in the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
Study Finds 'All Our Efforts' on Vaccines Not 'Trash' After All
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.