Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news stories and cases of hacking on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Saudi Activist Sues
Aided UAE Hacking
Dec 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Saudi Activist Sues Americans Who Aided UAE Hacking
Loujain al-Hathloul, who led push for women to drive, was imprisoned and tortured
- Three former US intelligence and military officers have admitted in a separate case that they helped the United Arab Emirates with hacking operations. Now they're being sued by a Saudi women's rights activist who says the assistance of the three men led to her iPhone being hacked by...
Planned Parenthood Hack
Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Dec 2, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Hack Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Names, procedures of Los Angeles patients among information stolen
- One or more hackers acquired the names, birthdates, addresses, diagnoses, and procedures of some 400,000 patients of Planned Parenthood's Los Angeles branch in October, the organization revealed Wednesday. Someone accessed PPLA's network between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17, installed "malware/ransomware," and "exfiltrated" files, rep...
New Trump Site
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Hackers Invade New Trump Site Almost Immediately
Truth Social platform bombarded with fake accounts, pics of defecating pigs
- Donald Trump created Truth Social to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech," but the former president's new social media platform doesn't have the legs yet to stand up to hackers. Just a couple of hours after Trump on Wednesday introduced Truth Social and its...
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice,
Steal $35M From Bank
Oct 15, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice, Steal $35M From Bank
Dubai investigators say deepfake technology fooled bank manager
- The crimes of the future are here today, according to a court document connected to a $35 million bank heist in the United Arab Emirates. Per the document, investigators in Dubai say a bank manager "received a phone call that claimed to be from the company headquarters. The caller...
Reporter Finds Security Flaw,
Gets Missouri Governor's Wrath
Oct 15, 2021 5:10 AM CDT
Reporter Finds Security Flaw, Gets Missouri Governor's Wrath
Gov. Mike Parson says 'Post-Dispatch' reporter is a criminal hacker who will be punished
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
story this week exposed a major security flaw in a website run by Missouri's education department—but the newspaper didn't get a thank-you note from Gov. Mike Parson. Instead, the Republican governor vowed to investigate and prosecute the paper and the "hacker" who...
In Florida Hack,
Oct 12, 2021 4:06 PM CDT
In Florida Hack, Planes Needing Maintenance Were Cleared
Lauren Lide, 26, has been arrested in connection with the Jan. 12, 2020 hack
- On Jan 12, 2020, the CEO of a Florida flight school logged into his computer; what he saw didn't make sense. Derek Fallon of Melbourne Flight Training said that planes he knew to have been shelved for maintenance were cleared, meaning aircraft that might not have been safe to...
Hacker Claims Responsibility
for Massive T-Mobile Breach
Aug 27, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Hacker Claims Responsibility for Massive T-Mobile Breach
John Binns, 21, says he wanted to 'generate noise'
- John Binns seems to be an unusually chatty cybercriminal. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Binns—a 21-year-old US citizen who lives in Turkey—has claimed responsibility for a massive T-Mobile data breach , saying he was able to steal data on more than 50 million customers because "their security...
Hacked Dozens of
Jul 31, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
DOJ: Russians Hacked Dozens of Federal Prosecutors
More than 2 dozen US attorney offices had emails breached, per Justice Department
- The Russian hackers behind the massive SolarWinds cyberespionage campaign broke into the email accounts some of the most prominent federal prosecutors' offices around the country last year, the Justice Department said. The department noted that 80% of Microsoft email accounts used by employees in the four US attorney offices in...
One Customer Made a Change.
Then, Fastly's 'Severe' Outage
Jun 9, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
One Customer Made a Change. Then, Fastly's 'Severe' Outage
Fastly says software bug was behind global disruption that affected world's top websites
- Fastly, the company hit by a major outage that caused many of the world's top websites to go offline briefly this week, blamed the problem on a software bug that was triggered when a customer changed a setting. The problem at Fastly meant internet users couldn't connect to...
Search,' a Reveal on
Colonial Pipeline Breach
Jun 5, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
After 'Exhaustive Search,' a Reveal on Colonial Pipeline Breach
Cybersecurity expert: Compromised password was plugged into dormant VPN account to gain access
- It all came down to one password. That's the finding of a cybersecurity expert commissioned by Colonial Pipeline to find out how hackers were able to shut down the nation's largest fuel pipeline, reports Bloomberg . According to Charles Carmakal of Mandiant, part of the FireEye cybersecurity firm, hackers...
Feds Say Massive North Korea
Hack Was Revenge for Movie
Feb 17, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Feds Say Massive North Korea Hack Was Revenge for Movie
Country's agents are 'world's leading bank robbers,' prosecutors say
- North Korean operatives are the "world's leading bank robbers," federal prosecutors said Wednesday, announcing charges against three computer programmers in the regime's "General Reconnaissance Bureau." Jon Chang Hyok, Kim Il, and Park Jin Hyok are accused of taking part in cyberattacks that stole and...
South Korea Has
Feb 16, 2021 10:30 AM CST
South Korea Has New Accusation Against North Korea
It says its neighbor tried to hack Pfizer; no word on whether the attack was successful
- The North Korean regime tried to hack US drugmaker Pfizer in an effort to steal information on the company's coronavirus vaccine, according to South Korea's National Intelligence Service. Lawmakers were briefed on the findings during a closed-door session of the National Assembly's intelligence committee on Tuesday, per...
Maker on Hackers'
Extortion: We Will
Feb 9, 2021 12:32 PM CST
Maker on Hackers' Extortion: We Will Not Negotiate
Ransomware creators steal, threaten to release source code from CD Projekt Red
- "You have 48 hours to contact us." That was the ransom note left Monday after a cyberattack against
maker CD Projekt Red, which has posted the note online and said it's not in the mood for negotiations. The hackers' message indicated that they stole the...
UN Report: North Korea,
Iran Have Teamed Up
Feb 9, 2021 11:00 AM CST
UN Report: North Korea, Iran Have Teamed Up
Iran denies cooperative missile development
- North Korea is funneling millions of dollars stolen by hackers into nuclear weapons, according to a new and confidential UN report, which also points the finger at Iran. The document accuses Kim Jong Un's regime of coordinating "operations against financial institutions and virtual currency exchange houses" to pay...
Funds to Tune of $11.4B
Jan 26, 2021 2:45 AM CST
Calif.: Criminals Raided Unemployment Funds to Tune of $11.4B
State's labor secretary says hackers, other criminals may have stolen an additional $20B
- From March of last year to the middle of January, California paid out some $114 billion in unemployment benefits. Now, the state's labor secretary, Julie Su, has some alarming news on about $11.4 billion, or 10%, of that figure—those payments were fraudulent, stolen by hackers, identity thieves,...
Security, He Spied
on 'Most Intimate
Jan 22, 2021 1:24 PM CST
Tasked With Security, He Spied on 'Most Intimate Moments' Instead
Ex-ADT tech admits he hacked into home security systems to watch people get undressed, have sex
, John Belushi's Bluto used a ladder to spy on women undressing. The modern-day (and perhaps creepier) version of a peeping Tom has a more high-tech method: hacking into home surveillance feeds. That's what Telesforo Aviles, a former employee for home security company ADT, has admitted...
Microsoft: Hackers Got
Further In Than We Thought
Dec 31, 2020 4:40 PM CST
Microsoft: Hackers Got Further In Than We Thought
They viewed, but didn't change, source code
- Microsoft said Thursday in a blog post that hackers tied to a massive intrusion of dozens of US government agencies and private companies sneaked further into its systems than previously thought, although the intrusion doesn't appear to have caused any additional harm. The company said the hackers were able...
Pompeo, Trump Clash
Over Big Cyberattack
Dec 19, 2020 11:26 AM CST
Pompeo, Trump Clash Over Big Cyberattack
The president says it might have been China
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Russia was behind the grave cyberattack against the US, per the AP , the first administration official to publicly tie the Kremlin to the widespread intrusion. It's not clear exactly what the hackers were seeking, but experts say it could include nuclear secrets, blueprints...
Treasury, Commerce Hit by
Hackers in Monthslong Breach
Dec 14, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Treasury, Commerce Hit by Hackers in Monthslong Breach
'Unacceptable risk' to government tied back to hugely popular server software
- US government agencies were ordered to scour their networks for malware and disconnect potentially compromised servers after authorities learned the Treasury and Commerce departments were hacked in a monthslong global cyberespionage campaign, discovered when a prominent cybersecurity firm learned it had been breached. In a rare emergency directive issued late...
US Treasury Gets
Hacked, Sources Say
Dec 13, 2020 3:55 PM CST
US Treasury Gets Hacked, Sources Say
The National Security Council says it's on the case
- Sophisticated hackers have stolen data from the US Treasury and an agency that oversees telecom and Internet policies—but those behind it remain unidentified, insiders tell Reuters . "The United States government is aware of these reports and we are taking all necessary steps to identify and remedy any possible...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Yet Another Big Moment for Jeopardy! Champ
Peloton Not Happy After Another TV Character's Heart Attack
It's the 'Most Valuable Single Coin Find in British History'
Anti-Vax Dad 'Has Gone to the Edge of Death to Stick to His Guns'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.