Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oops: $83M Worth of Cocaine
Sent to Supermarkets
in case you missed it
Jun 19, 2022 7:05 AM CDT
Oops: $83M Worth of Cocaine Sent to Supermarkets
And in Colombia, cocaine disguised as potatoes
- Supermarkets in the Czech Republic got a little more than they bargained for in their banana shipments last week: $83 million worth of cocaine. Police were alerted after grocery workers started discovering blocks of pressed cocaine in with the fruit; ultimately, 1,851 pounds were found, Newsweek reports. The crates...
Canada Takes Bold Step to
'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Jun 1, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Canada Takes Bold Step to 'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Small amounts of 'hard' drugs to be temporarily decriminalized in British Columbia to fight ODs
- If you're busted in British Columbia with a small amount of hard drugs, you could soon see some grace, thanks to an innovative new program designed to deal with the OD crisis. The BBC reports that, starting at the end of January, drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA (ecstasy), and...
Feds Find First
Major Drug Tunnel
May 17, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Feds Find First Major Drug Tunnel Since 2020
It ran from Tijuana to San Diego warehouse
- The legalization of marijuana in California hasn't put the cross-border tunnel builders in the San Diego area out of business, but the highly sophisticated tunnels are now being used for different drugs, federal authorities say. The latest tunnel to be detected ran 1,744 feet from a property in...
Death of Diver Led Cops
to Staggering Cocaine Haul
May 10, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Death of Diver Led Cops to Staggering Cocaine Haul
Australian police fear drugs from total shipment worth $84M have already reached the public
- The death of a diver on the side of a coastal river in Australia led authorities to at least 220 pounds of cocaine—and that's apparently just the tip of the white powder iceberg. A man in high-end diving equipment was found unconscious near the Hunter River in Newcastle,...
Half a Ton of Cocaine
Found in Coffee Shipment
May 6, 2022 9:33 AM CDT
Half a Ton of Cocaine Found in Coffee Shipment
Nespresso says drug hasn't contaminated its coffee pods
- After more than half a ton of cocaine was found among a shipment of coffee beans at a Nespresso plant, the company reassured customers that its coffee pods would not provide a bigger jolt than customers were used to. "The substance in question did not come into contact with...
Premier of British Territory
Claims Immunity in Drug Case
May 3, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Premier of British Territory Claims Immunity in Drug Case
British Virgin Islands leader allegedly accepted bribe from undercover DEA agent
The premier of the British Virgin Islands said Monday that as the elected, constitutional head of government of the British overseas territory, he is immune from prosecution on charges of cocaine-smuggling and the US must immediately release him from custody. One former federal prosecutor, however, tells the AP that...
Kills 20, Sickens 74
Feb 3, 2022 4:08 AM CST
Tainted Cocaine Kills 20, Sickens 74
Authorities in Argentina suspect batch was deliberately poisoned
- Apparently adulterated cocaine killed 20 people and seriously sickened 74 others in Buenos Aires, health officials said early Thursday as authorities searched frantically for the remainder of the deadly batch to get it off the streets before it is consumed. Experts are still analyzing the drug to determine what was...
A Notorious Cocaine Dealer
Ended Up in Maine, Then Dead
Jan 30, 2022 7:27 AM CST
A Notorious Cocaine Dealer Ended Up in Maine, Then Dead
Alberto Martinez reportedly just couldn't quit Harlem
- An affable man living in the town of Lewiston, Maine, was shot dead on Halloween in Harlem—where people came out in the street to drink a champagne toast to his demise. How do the two jibe? Writing for the
New York Times
, Ali Watkins explains that Abraham Rodriguez, as...
Grandma Shocked by
Cactus Toy's Cocaine Rap
Nov 26, 2021 11:56 AM CST
Grandma Shocked by Cactus Toy's Cocaine Rap
Walmart says item has been pulled
- A grandmother in Canada says she was more than a little surprised when the dancing cactus toy she bought for her toddler granddaughter started rapping in Polish about depression and cocaine use. "It just so happens that I am Polish and when I started to listen to the songs...
Colombia Nabs Feared
Oct 24, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Colombia Nabs Feared Drug Kingpin
Dairo Antonio Úsuga leads the violent Clan del Golfo
- The most wanted drug trafficker in Colombia has been arrested. Per the
New York Times
, Dairo Antonio Úsuga, popularly known as Otoniel, was nabbed during a military operation in the remote mountains of Colombia's Uraba region. The 50-year-old was alleged to be the leader of the country's...
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash
Had Cocaine, Pot in System
Sep 23, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash Had Cocaine, Pot in System
5 died after balloon hit power lines in New Mexico
: The hot air balloon pilot killed along with his four passengers in a crash in Albuquerque, NM, in June had drugs in his system, the Federal Aviation Administration says. A toxicology report released Wednesday says blood and urine samples taken from 62-year-old Nicholas Meleski show he had marijuana and...
For This Former Olympian,
It's a Trip to Prison
Jul 27, 2021 11:53 AM CDT
For This Former Olympian, It's a Trip to Prison
Australia's Nathan Baggaley sentenced to 25 years for 2018 cocaine-smuggling plot
- A two-time Olympic silver medalist and three-time world kayaking champion has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in a failed $150 million cocaine-smuggling plot. Australia's Nathan Baggaley, 45, and his brother Dru, 39, were convicted in April of attempting to smuggle 650 kilograms of cocaine...
Smugglers' Cocaine Disguise
Doesn't Fool Cops
Jul 15, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Smugglers' Cocaine Disguise Doesn't Fool Cops
Haul was altered to look like charcoal
- Police in the Netherlands and Ireland were very keen to talk to the owners of two containers that arrived in Rotterdam weeks ago—but they never showed up to collect them. Inside the abandoned containers, which were destined for Ireland, was a huge shipment of cocaine disguised as charcoal, CNN...
Driver Picks Very Bad Time
to Have a Car Accident
Jun 3, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Driver Picks Very Bad Time to Have a Car Accident
Cops in Texas find $3.3M worth of cocaine in car
- Police in Texas responding to a two-car accident discovered an odd thing when they arrived at the scene: The driver of one of the vehicles was gone. Then they discovered a second odd thing that might go a long way toward explaining the first: In the abandoned BMW were three...
Bundles of Drugs Keep
Washing Up in South Florida
May 24, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Bundles of Drugs Keep Washing Up in South Florida
People continue to find cocaine, marijuana on Sunshine State's beaches, especially in the Keys
- Last month, a beachgoer in Palm Beach stumbled upon 65 pounds of cocaine along the shoreline, a find worth $1.5 million. But that hasn't been an isolated incident in South Florida, where people continue to discover packages of drugs in the water and on local beaches, especially in...
After Eurovision Victory
Comes a Drug Test
May 23, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
After Eurovision Victory Comes a Drug Test
Rumors spread that lead singer snorted cocaine onstage
- The Italian glam rock band that won the Eurovision Song Contest returned home Sunday to the adulation of fans, congratulations from the government, and so much speculation that the lead singer had snorted cocaine during the show that he vowed to take a drug test. "We want to shut...
Cops: Theater 'Patron' Asks for
Popcorn, Gets Cocaine Bonus
May 8, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Cops: Theater 'Patron' Asks for Popcorn, Gets Cocaine Bonus
Police say 'patron' was informant sold drugs hidden in popcorn by movie theater manager in Minn.
- When movie patrons ask for a Coke to go with their popcorn, they likely don't mean actual coke (i.e., cocaine). But one such "patron" got exactly that in July at Spotlight Theatres in Mankato, Minn. Per the cops, that supposed customer was actually a police informant who...
Lawyer Who Scammed Major
Drug Dealers Hears His Fate
May 6, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Lawyer Who Scammed Major Drug Dealers Hears His Fate
Attorney James Morris Balagia sentenced to 15-plus years in prison for defrauding drug traffickers
- A Texas attorney who specialized in representing clients facing charges of drug possession and driving while intoxicated is now seeing the culmination of his own legal troubles. The
New York Times
reports that on Monday, James Morris Balagia, known as the "DWI Dude," was sentenced to more than...
Woman Buys Crochet Kit,
Finds Kilo of Cocaine Inside
Feb 23, 2021 7:03 PM CST
Woman Buys Crochet Kit, Finds Kilo of Cocaine Inside
She called Seattle cops after finding suspicious object
- A Seattle woman who needed a new hobby inadvertently brought a kilogram of cocaine home, police say. Police said in a press release that the woman, who had planned to crochet animal hats, bought a crochet kit at a thrift store Sunday and called 911 when she found a suspicious...
That Sugary Frosting
Was Cocaine: Customs
Feb 20, 2021 4:15 PM CST
That Sugary Frosting Was Cocaine: Customs
Agents seize shipment of corn flakes worth nearly $3M
- It's not often that anyone talks about the street value of corn flakes. But Customs and Border Patrol officers said they intercepted a shipment of cereal last week whose secret ingredient was cocaine. The 44 pounds of corn flakes had a street value of just under $3 million, Cincinnati....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.