Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The US Is Getting Pummeled
on Both Coasts
Mar 14, 2023 12:16 PM CDT
The US Is Getting Pummeled on Both Coasts
Northeast braces for big snow, while California looks to get hit by another atmospheric river
- The start of a winter storm with heavy, wet snow caused a plane to slide off the runway and led to hundreds of school closings, canceled flights, and thousands of power outages in parts of the Northeast on Tuesday. California wasn't faring much better, bracing for its
Heavy Snowfall Isn't Over Yet
Mar 4, 2023 2:15 PM CST
Heavy Snowfall Isn't Over Yet
Storm system causes at least five deaths in Kentucky alone
- The winter-weary Northeast and upper Midwest were digging out Saturday from heavy snowfall while cleanup began in parts of the South and Midwest after a sprawling storm system produced ferocious winds that caused widespread damage and multiple deaths. Snow fell across a large swath of the Northeast, from western New...
Feb 25, 2023 8:30 AM CST
California Pummeled by Rain, Snow, Frigid Temps
Meanwhile, Michigan is hit by its own winter woes
- A powerful winter storm lashing California threatened floods, blizzards, and avalanches Saturday while adding frigid temperatures to the misery mix. Overnight lows could drop below freezing in some areas, while downtown San Francisco could see record-breaking cold temperatures Saturday morning, according to the National Weather Service. Projected temperatures of 38...
Austin City Manager Fired
Over Ice Storm Response
Feb 16, 2023 4:56 AM CST
Austin City Manager Fired Over Ice Storm Response
Winter storm left more than 100K without power for days
- Austin City Manager Spencer Cronk has been fired amid public anger over the city's slow response to an ice storm that left more than 100,000 people without power for days earlier this month—but a hefty severance package might soften the blow. Cronk, who was appointed in 2018,...
'Double Whammy' Set
to Pummel Southeast
Feb 11, 2023 7:45 AM CST
'Double Whammy' Set to Pummel Southeast
Snow and ice expected in multiple states this weekend, as well as heavy rain and strong winds
- Spring starts next month, but that doesn't mean winter doesn't still have a trick or two up its sleeve. The Southeast is expected to find that out on Saturday, as what AccuWeather calls a "double whammy" of snow and ice will create a mess in the southern...
California's Volatile Weather
Isn't Over Yet
Jan 9, 2023 10:45 AM CST
California's Volatile Weather Isn't Over Yet
Governor warns deadly rain and winds may be worse this week
- Californians steeled Monday for the latest of a series of powerful storms that have shuttered schools, toppled trees, flooded roads, and left tens of thousands without power. The National Weather Service warned of a "relentless parade of atmospheric rivers"—storms that are long plumes of moisture stretching out...
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints
of 'Embarrassing' Response
Dec 29, 2022 11:23 AM CST
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints of 'Embarrassing' Response
County executive calls out the mayor, who suggests his critic is too stressed
- In Buffalo, the driving ban is now lifted, the region's death toll from its historic blizzard has risen to 37, and the snow has stopped falling. The blame game, however, appears to be just starting. Amid questions about how Buffalo, of all places, has been so slow to dig...
Lost Loved Ones
Trapped in Cars
Dec 28, 2022 10:40 AM CST
In Buffalo, Helpless Families Lost Loved Ones Trapped in Cars
3 storm victims died in their cars, says an Erie County official
- There are tales of amazing rescues out of Buffalo , but also stories of the other type: the tragic deaths of people who became stuck in their cars and couldn't be rescued amid a historic blizzard. NBC News has the stories of families who are mourning lost loved ones. Stasia...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
US Is No Joke
Dec 23, 2022 8:18 AM CST
Megastorm Slamming US Is No Joke
Holiday travel is disrupted, experts warn of frostbite, and lizards may soon start falling in the South
- Temperatures are plummeting rapidly around the nation in what could be one of the coldest Christmases in memory. NBC News reports that 200 million people in the US, or around 60% of the population, have been hit with a weather warning or advisory. The National Weather Service notes that the...
Blast of Frigid Weather
Set to Snarl Holiday Travel
Dec 20, 2022 6:13 PM CST
Blast of Frigid Weather Set to Snarl Holiday Travel
Some areas will see blizzard conditions on the first day of winter
- A large swath of the US braced for a dangerous mix of sub-zero temperatures, howling winds, and blizzard conditions scheduled to arrive Wednesday and disrupt plans for millions of holiday travelers. The blast of frigid weather landing on the first day of winter and lingering through Christmas will initially hammer...
Storm System Lashes
Huge Area of Central US
Dec 13, 2022 8:12 PM CST
Storm System Lashes Huge Area of Central US
It brought tornadoes to Oklahoma and Texas, blizzard threat to Plains region
- A massive storm blowing across the country spawned tornadoes that wrecked homes and injured a handful of people in parts of Oklahoma and Texas, including the Dallas-Fort Worth area, as much of the central United States from the Rocky Mountains to the Midwest braced for blizzard-like conditions. An area stretching...
Winter Storm Will
Be 'Coast to Coast,
Top to Bottom'
Dec 12, 2022 3:32 PM CST
Winter Storm Will Be 'Coast to Coast, Top to Bottom'
After battering West Coast, system is set to dump snow on Plains, Midwest
- Americans in the lower 48 states who haven't already been affected by a massive winter storm making its way across the country should brace for some wild weather, forecasters say. A storm system that hit the West over the weekend will "bring significant, widespread weather hazards from severe...
Ice, Even a
Feb 4, 2022 7:21 AM CST
Powerful Storm Brings Snow, Ice, Even a Tornado
Severe winter weather across wide swath of US leaves 350K homes, businesses without power
- About 350,000 homes and businesses lost power across the US on Thursday as freezing rain and snow weighed down tree limbs and encrusted power lines, part of a winter storm that caused a deadly tornado in Alabama, dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of the Midwest,...
Major Winter Storm
Slams East Coast
Jan 29, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Major Winter Storm Slams East Coast
Blizzard warnings issued in 10 states, thousands of flights nixed as snowstorm rages Saturday
- People from New York City to Maine awakened Saturday to half a foot of snow, and forecasters warned that could more than quadruple as a powerful nor'easter kicked up blinding blizzard conditions with high winds and the potential for widespread power outages and coastal flooding. Parts of 10 states...
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
Man's 'Unusual Decision'
in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
Jan 18, 2022 7:51 AM CST
Man's 'Unusual Decision' in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
NC hiker who decided to go camping during severe winter weather is saved by team in snowshoes
- As states in the South braced for severe winter weather over the weekend, one North Carolina man made what the
News & Observer
is charitably calling an "unusual decision": He packed up his camping gear and headed into Pisgah National Forest. Perhaps not surprisingly, the adventurous hiker ended up...
Brace for 'Crippling'
Jan 15, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Southern States Brace for 'Crippling' Winter Storm
Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas have all declared states of emergency on storm set for this weekend
- A major winter storm is headed toward the South, leading four states so far to declare states of emergency. The storm system has already dumped several inches of snow on the central United States and is set to make its way toward the southeast Saturday into Sunday morning, leading to...
Family Points Finger at Cops
After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Jan 10, 2022 7:41 AM CST
Family Points Finger at Cops After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Family of Jacob Whaley, 34, says Louisa County Sheriff's Office in Va. could've done more to find him
- The body of a Virginia dad whose vehicle got stuck in a snowstorm has been found, and his family is now demanding answers from local law enforcement as to why he wasn't rescued in time. As motorists in the state were stranded in severe winter weather last week on...
22 Die in Their Cars After
Heavy Snow in Resort Town
Jan 8, 2022 5:30 AM CST
22 Die in Their Cars After Heavy Snow in Resort Town
Thousands of vehicles were stuck after winter storm in Murree, Pakistan
- Temperatures fell to 17.6 degrees Fahrenheit amid heavy snowfall in Pakistan's mountain resort town of Murree overnight, killing at least 22 people who were stuck in their vehicles, officials said Saturday. Atiq Ahmed, an Islamabad police officer, said eight of the 22 fatalities were from the family of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.