Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ice, Even a
Feb 4, 2022 7:21 AM CST
Powerful Storm Brings Snow, Ice, Even a Tornado
Severe winter weather across wide swath of US leaves 350K homes, businesses without power
- About 350,000 homes and businesses lost power across the US on Thursday as freezing rain and snow weighed down tree limbs and encrusted power lines, part of a winter storm that caused a deadly tornado in Alabama, dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of the Midwest,...
Major Winter Storm
Slams East Coast
Jan 29, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Major Winter Storm Slams East Coast
Blizzard warnings issued in 10 states, thousands of flights nixed as snowstorm rages Saturday
- People from New York City to Maine awakened Saturday to half a foot of snow, and forecasters warned that could more than quadruple as a powerful nor'easter kicked up blinding blizzard conditions with high winds and the potential for widespread power outages and coastal flooding. Parts of 10 states...
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
Man's 'Unusual Decision'
in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
Jan 18, 2022 7:51 AM CST
Man's 'Unusual Decision' in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
NC hiker who decided to go camping during severe winter weather is saved by team in snowshoes
- As states in the South braced for severe winter weather over the weekend, one North Carolina man made what the
News & Observer
is charitably calling an "unusual decision": He packed up his camping gear and headed into Pisgah National Forest. Perhaps not surprisingly, the adventurous hiker ended up...
Brace for 'Crippling'
Jan 15, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Southern States Brace for 'Crippling' Winter Storm
Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas have all declared states of emergency on storm set for this weekend
- A major winter storm is headed toward the South, leading four states so far to declare states of emergency. The storm system has already dumped several inches of snow on the central United States and is set to make its way toward the southeast Saturday into Sunday morning, leading to...
Family Points Finger at Cops
After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Jan 10, 2022 7:41 AM CST
Family Points Finger at Cops After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Family of Jacob Whaley, 34, says Louisa County Sheriff's Office in Va. could've done more to find him
- The body of a Virginia dad whose vehicle got stuck in a snowstorm has been found, and his family is now demanding answers from local law enforcement as to why he wasn't rescued in time. As motorists in the state were stranded in severe winter weather last week on...
22 Die in Their Cars After
Heavy Snow in Resort Town
Jan 8, 2022 5:30 AM CST
22 Die in Their Cars After Heavy Snow in Resort Town
Thousands of vehicles were stuck after winter storm in Murree, Pakistan
- Temperatures fell to 17.6 degrees Fahrenheit amid heavy snowfall in Pakistan's mountain resort town of Murree overnight, killing at least 22 people who were stuck in their vehicles, officials said Saturday. Atiq Ahmed, an Islamabad police officer, said eight of the 22 fatalities were from the family of...
Hundreds of Motorists
Rescued After Being
Stuck Overnight on I-95
Jan 5, 2022 12:10 AM CST
Hundreds of Motorists Rescued After Being Stuck Overnight on I-95
And the train that was also stuck finally reached its destination
All of the motorists stranded on I-95 amid a winter storm had been rescued by Tuesday night, the
reports. Some of them had been stuck on the highway for more than a full day, including Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, who details his 27-hour ordeal to CNN . The
NWS: Today's 'Historical'
Weather Is Highly Dangerous
Dec 15, 2021 6:50 PM CST
NWS: Today's 'Historical' Weather Is Highly Dangerous
Unprecedented December storm system roars across central US
- Wednesday is a "historical weather day," according to the National Weather Service , with at least 100 million Americans under weather warnings in an area stretching from the West Coast to the Great Lakes. A high wind warning is in place for an area from New Mexico to upper...
It's Snowing in Texas
Feb 15, 2021 2:21 AM CST
It's Snowing in Texas
The entire state is under a winter storm warning
- It is surprisingly cold in Texas currently, with the entire state under a winter storm warning and heavy snow coming down in many areas. CBS DFW reports a federal emergency declaration was approved for the state, after Gov. Greg Abbott declared a disaster Friday and warned residents that the entire...
Big Surprise for
After Big Snow
Dec 17, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Big Surprise for Virtual Students After Big Snow
W. Va. school district cancels remote classes to let students, staff just enjoy the day
- Do you want to build a snowman? Thanks to a West Virginia school district, Anna and Elsa weren't the only ones donning their hats and gloves Wednesday to frolic in the snow after Winter Storm Gail slammed the East Coast. Jefferson County Schools could have still made kids go...
Northeast Braces for
Possible 'Bomb Cyclone'
Dec 5, 2020 6:30 AM CST
Northeast Braces for Possible 'Bomb Cyclone'
Some areas could see double-digit snowfall levels in area's first major snowstorm of the season
- The Northeast's first major snowstorm of the season is set to blanket multiple states over the weekend, with strong winds, anticipated snowfall in the double digits, heavy rains, and power outages in some areas. The weather event may even turn into a "bomb cyclone," which occurs when...
Fierce Winter Weather
Kills 4 in Southeast
Feb 7, 2020 12:04 AM CST
Fierce Winter Weather Kills 4 in Southeast
State of emergency declared in Virginia
- Nearly 150,000 homes and businesses in the southeastern United States were without power early Friday after a powerful winter storm raked the region, killing at least four people and injuring several more across the region. Florida bore the brunt of the power outages, with nearly 75,000, according to...
4 Kids Vanished in an
Alaskan Storm. Then, 'Tears'
Feb 4, 2020 10:05 AM CST
4 Kids Vanished in an Alaskan Storm. Then, 'Tears'
2-year-old among those rescued near Nunam Iqua on Monday
- Four children lost amid blizzard conditions in Western Alaska have thankfully been found alive, though all are suffering from severe hypothermia. The group—identified as Christopher Johnson, 14; Frank Johnson, 8; Ethan Camille, 7; and Trey Camille, 2—had departed Nunam Iqua, a remote village near the Bering Sea, around...
Set to Wallop Central US
Apr 10, 2019 6:49 AM CDT
'Blockbuster Blizzard' Set to Wallop Central US
It could be the second 'bomb cyclone' in 2 months
- The first day of spring was weeks ago—but there's still a serious bout of winter weather on its way for the central US. The Rockies and Plains could be hit by the second "bomb cyclone" in two months Wednesday as an April blizzard causes a drastic drop...
After 7 Years,
Some Good News
Mar 15, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
After 7 Years, California Has Some Good News
Drought is gone from all parts of the state
- Thanks to a very wet winter, California is finally drought-free. A map released Thursday by the US Drought Monitor shows "almost entirely normal conditions" across the state for the first time since December 2011, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. "It's been so wet … that we've...
'Bomb Cyclone' Will 'Go
Down in the History Books'
Mar 14, 2019 3:55 AM CDT
'Bomb Cyclone' Will 'Go Down in the History Books'
Storm brought blizzards, floods, a tornado across more than 25 states Wednesday
- National Guard troops are using specialized vehicles with tank-like treads to rescue stranded drivers in Colorado in the wake of a massive late-winter storm that is expected to unleash heavy rain and snow on the Midwest plains on Thursday. Wednesday's blizzard, classified as a "bomb cyclone" caused widespread...
City Almost Reached Its Annual
Snowfall Amount—in a Day
Feb 9, 2019 7:30 AM CST
City Almost Reached Its Annual Snowfall Amount—in a Day
Seattle was blasted this week by winter storm
- They may be sleepless in Seattle, but they're definitely not snowless. At least not this morning, the day after a big snow dump Friday that knocked out power , snarled traffic, delayed flights , and left 6.4 inches at Sea-Tac Airport—the second largest daily amount in the past two...
in the South
Dec 8, 2018 11:27 AM CST
Heavy Rain, Flooding Could Hit Millions in the South
States from New Mexico to North Carolina are in its path
- Governors in two southern states have declared emergencies ahead of an anticipated intense winter storm that's expected to hammer Americans from New Mexico to North Carolina, per the AP and CNN . Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announced Saturday he'd declared an emergency to help state agencies prepare for a...
Evacuation Orders Issued
as Storm Slams California
Mar 2, 2018 12:04 AM CST
Evacuation Orders Issued as Storm Slams California
Storm follows wildfires, mudslides in coastal area
- Deputies went door to door ordering residents to evacuate from coastal Southern California neighborhoods ahead of a powerful winter storm sweeping in Friday after bringing heavy snow and whiteout conditions to northern mountains and steady rain elsewhere. As many as 30,000 people are under evacuation orders in the foothills...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Another City Angry Over a Police Shooting
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.