Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Famed 'Pulitzer Prize House'
Could Be Yours—for $2M
Nov 28, 2023 1:59 PM CST
Famed 'Pulitzer Prize House' Could Be Yours—for $2M
Not one, not 2, but 3 winners of the esteemed prize have lived in this Atlanta 'oasis'
- Can literary genius hover around a home like a ghost, ready to be absorbed by the abode's next purchaser? An Atlanta residence that has housed not one, not two, but three Pulitzer Prize winners is now on the market, so a lucky future owner (or owners) is about to...
Mom Arrested 35 Years After
Girl Found Dead in Concrete
Nov 14, 2023 7:49 AM CST
Mom Arrested 35 Years After Girl Found Dead in Concrete
Kenyatta Odom, 5, was killed by her mother and the mother's boyfriend in 1988: Georgia indictment
- A man was walking through the woods near Millwood, Georgia, days before Christmas in 1988, when he came upon a TV cabinet encased in concrete, which he correctly viewed as suspicious, per WVIT . He called the Ware County Sheriff's Office, which sent detectives to investigate. "I really was...
Atlanta Police Battle Protesters
Nov 13, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Atlanta Police Battle Protesters
Demonstration opposed construction of training center
- Police used tear gas and flash-bang grenades Monday to halt a march against building an Atlanta-area police and firefighter training center that opponents call "Cop City." More than 400 people marched about two miles from a park to the site in suburban DeKalb County, chanting "stop Cop...
Man Accused of MTG Death
Threat: 'You're Going to Die'
Nov 11, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Man Accused of MTG Death Threat: 'You're Going to Die'
Sean Patrick Cirillo, 34, has been arrested after allegedly calling in to congresswoman's office
- A Georgia man is in police custody after authorities say he called in death threats to the district office of GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. Per the Hill , the Georgia congresswoman's office confirmed that such calls had been made, and that the caller had said he had a sniper...
This Isn't the Sort of Notification
You Want to See Midflight
Nov 10, 2023 10:22 AM CST
This Isn't the Sort of Notification You Want to See Midflight
Passenger reports getting bomb threat via AirDrop on Frontier flight to Atlanta; plane landed safely
- A Frontier Airlines flight from Maryland to Georgia made it safely to the ground after a passenger made a frightening report midair. WSB reports that Flight 1571 departed from Baltimore at around 7:30pm local time on Thursday, but as the plane cruised through the air, a passenger pulled a...
Mail Sent to
Nov 10, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Possibly Fentanyl-Laced Mail Sent to Election Offices
A rash of reports across the country, including, notably, Georgia's Fulton County
- A possibly fentanyl-laced letter was sent to an election official in Georgia's Fulton County, Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says. He says state and federal officials are working to determine whether any other officials in the state have been targeted, Fox 5 Atlanta reports; WSB-TV reports they're...
'Hollywood of the South'
Struggles Amid Strikes
Nov 5, 2023 3:25 PM CST
'Hollywood of the South' Struggles Amid Strikes
Atlanta, once booming with work for crew and actors, is now at a virtual standstill
- A lighting technician is mowing lawns. A camera assistant is teaching guitar again. An actor has thought about shifting careers. For more than a decade, work had been nonstop in Atlanta's booming film industry, thanks to Georgia's extremely generous tax break. Dubbed the "Hollywood of the South,...
Georgia's Top Court Upholds
6-Week Abortion Ban
Oct 24, 2023 3:23 PM CDT
Georgia's Top Court Upholds 6-Week Abortion Ban
Lower court's ruling was rejected 6-1
- The Georgia Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a lower court ruling that the state's restrictive abortion law was invalid, leaving limited access to abortions unchanged for now. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney said last November that the ban was "unequivocally unconstitutional" because it was enacted in...
Gets Him 27
Oct 23, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Inmate's 'Relentless' Meth Operation Gets Him 27 More Years
Mexican gang member David 'Toro' Zavala is busted for running drug distribution from prison
- A Mexican gang member already serving time in Georgia just got hit with a lot more time for distributing methamphetamine from behind bars. The
reports that 30-year-old David "Toro" Zavala, who federal agents say is a known member of the Surenos 13 gang, received his additional prison...
Company Wrecks Wrong House
Oct 22, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Company Wrecks Wrong House
Worker conceded mistake too late, owner says
- A homeowner isn't sure what to do after a company mistakenly demolished a home she owned in southwest Atlanta. Susan Hodgson told the AP on Saturday that she found a pile of rubble in place of what used to be her longtime family property when she returned from vacation...
Wrongfully Jailed for 16 Years,
He Was Killed at a Traffic Stop
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 21, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Wrongfully Jailed for 16 Years, He Was Killed at a Traffic Stop
Leonard Allen Cure was released in 2020
- A man who spent more than 16 years in prison in Florida on a wrongful conviction was shot and killed Monday by a sheriff's deputy in Georgia during a traffic stop, authorities and representatives said. Leonard Allen Cure, 53, was identified by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is...
Fani Willis: Jordan Is Trying
to Obstruct Trump Case
Oct 12, 2023 10:44 AM CDT
Fani Willis: Jordan Is Trying to Obstruct Trump Case
Georgia prosecutor refuses 2nd request for investigation details
- Georgia prosecutor Fani Willis has penned another letter in an attempt to shut down Jim Jordan's efforts to gain information about her investigation into former President Trump and his allies. After the Fulton County district attorney refused to turn over all records related to her investigation into 2020 election...
First Trump Co-Defendant
Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Sep 29, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Scott Hall agrees to testify in other trials, including Trump's
- The sweeping Georgia election interference case just went from 19 defendants, including Donald Trump, to 18. Scott Hall, a bail bondsman, pleaded guilty on Friday to five misdemeanor counts of conspiracy to commit intentional interference with the performance of election duties, the Hill reports. As part of his plea deal,...
Trump Gives Up on
Moving Georgia Trial
Sep 28, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Trump Gives Up on Moving Georgia Trial
Judge had been unmoved by Mark Meadows' similar request
- Donald Trump will not seek to have his Georgia election interference case transferred to federal court, his attorneys said in a filing Thursday—three weeks after a judge rejected a similar attempt by the former president's White House chief of staff. The notice filed in federal court in Atlanta...
I Keep Getting Doxxed
Sep 27, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Fani Willis: I Keep Getting Doxxed
Georgia DA talks threats directed at her and her loved ones amid Trump prosecution
- It wasn't only members of a grand jury who received threats in response to the Georgia indictment of former President Trump. Fani Willis, the Fulton County district attorney who is prosecuting cases against Trump and other high-profile figures including rappers Young Thug and YFN Lucci, says she and her...
US Wants Wildlife Refuge in
Georgia Swamp on UNESCO List
Sep 22, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
US Wants Wildlife Refuge in Georgia Swamp on UNESCO List
Only 25 places in the country are World Heritage sites
- A US agency said Friday it will nominate the vast, federally protected wildlife refuge in the Okefenokee Swamp for listing as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The National Park Service filed a notice in Washington that it will seek the designation for the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, which sprawls across...
For Gators on Golf Courses,
Diet Is a Bit of a Challenge
Sep 21, 2023 8:55 AM CDT
For Gators on Golf Courses, Diet Is a Bit of a Challenge
Instead of crustaceans, maybe a cat, some canned corn, and a cheeseburger with fries
- Golf courses, with their green space and ponds, have been shown to benefit wildlife when compared with other human-altered landscapes. But as Advanced Science News points out, previous studies looked at the abundance and diversity of animals on golf courses rather than the relationships between animals. Now, a new study...
6 'Soldiers of Christ' Arrested
After Woman's Body Found
Sep 15, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
6 'Soldiers of Christ' Arrested After Woman's Body Found
Police say South Korean woman was starved, beaten at Georgia home
- Police in Georgia say six people—five adults and a juvenile—charged with murder told investigators they belong to a group called the "Soldiers of Christ." They were arrested after the body of a woman who weighed just 70 pounds was found in the trunk of one suspect'...
Georgia Judge Voices Doubt on
Holding One Big Election Trial
Sep 6, 2023 4:21 PM CDT
Georgia Judge Voices Doubt on Holding One Big Election Trial
Court rejects individual proceedings for Chesebro, Powell
- A judge on Wednesday turned down requests by lawyers Kenneth Chesebro and Sidney Powell for separate trials in the Georgia election interference case , saying they can be tried fairly together. The two have pleaded not guilty to the charges in an indictment outlining efforts to overturn Donald Trump's loss...
Dozens Indicted on RICO
Charges Over 'Cop City'
Sep 6, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Dozens Indicted on RICO Charges Over 'Cop City'
Protesters don't want a police and firefighter training facility in the Atlanta area
- Sixty-one people have been indicted in Georgia on racketeering charges following a state investigation into protests against a planned police and firefighter training facility in the Atlanta area that critics call "Cop City." In the sweeping indictment released Tuesday, Republican Attorney General Chris Carr alleged the defendants are...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.