Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Georgia, Another
Primary Blow for Trump
May 25, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
In Georgia, Another Primary Blow for Trump
Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger beats Trump-backed challenger, others
- Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who was a top target of former President Trump, has won the Republican primary as he seeks reelection, the AP reports. Raffensperger beat three challengers, including Trump-endorsed US Rep. Jody Hice, who had criticized his handling of the 2020 election. Raffensperger was among Trump’...
Brian Kemp Trounced
Challenger. Here's How
May 25, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Brian Kemp Trounced His Trump-Backed Challenger. Here's How
Politico does a deep dive on Georgia governor's primary campaign
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp did more than just fend off a challenger backed by former President Trump in the state's Republican gubernatorial primary on Tuesday—he got more than triple the votes former Sen. David Perdue did, and an extensive piece at Politico looks at how Kemp "crushed...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
Jury Acquits Man Who Once
Confessed in Teacher's Death
May 20, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Jury Acquits Man Who Once Confessed in Teacher's Death
Ryan Duke, convicted on a lesser charge, now says a friend killed Tara Grinstead
: A Georgia jury has acquitted Ryan Duke of murder charges in the 2005 killing of a high school teacher in her home, a crime he once confessed to. The defendant reversed his confession during the nine-day trial, Fox News reports, and accused his best friend instead. He said Bo...
Young Thug Busted
in Gang Indictment
May 10, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Young Thug Busted in Gang Indictment
He allegedly rented car used in murder, approved another murder attempt
- Young Thug was arrested at his Atlanta home on Monday and is now in jail facing charges that he co-founded a criminal street gang. The 30-year-old Grammy-winning rapper, whose real name is Jeffery Williams, is charged with conspiracy to violate the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act and participation...
Cops: As He Was Arrested,
His Baby Died in His Car
May 5, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Cops: As He Was Arrested, His Baby Died in His Car
Davied Japez McCorry Whatley allegedly failed to inform police the 8-month-old was in car
- Davied Japez McCorry Whatley went to the Snellville Police Department on Tuesday afternoon to pick up a gun police had in their possession. Upon running the standard background check before releasing the firearm to him, police discovered there was a warrant out for the Georgia 20-year-old's arrest for probation...
Marjorie Taylor Greene Fights
in Court for Right to Run Again
Apr 22, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Fights in Court for Right to Run Again
Five constituents say her role in Capitol riot should disqualify her
- Conservative Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene fought for her right to run for re-election Friday during an unusual hearing in Atlanta. Per the AP :
Five constituents in the Georgia congresswoman’s district have said Greene helped facilitate the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, making her ineligible for
Democratic Challenger Is
Outraising MTG, Big Time
Apr 18, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Democratic Challenger Is Outraising MTG, Big Time
Marcus Flowers had an impressive quarter, but he still doesn't stand a chance
- Marcus Flowers—Army vet and Democrat in northwest Georgia—has far outraised his potential opponent, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. Flowers raked in $2.4 million in donations during the first quarter, more than double that of Greene, according to the Hill, which says Greene still has more in her war...
Arrest Made in Family's
Gun Range Murders
Apr 16, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Arrest Made in Family's Gun Range Murders
Jacob Christian Muse, 21, has been charged with malice murder
An arrest has been made in the shooting deaths of three family members at a Georgia gun range. The
reports Jacob Christian Muse, 21, was arrested Friday and charged with three counts of malice murder. Grantville Police Chief Steve Whitlock did not discuss whether Muse knew Lock...
Trump Makes First
Big Investment in GOP Race
Apr 13, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Trump Makes First Big Investment in GOP Race
Former president's PAC sends $500K to help David Perdue in Georgia
- For the first time, former President Donald Trump’s political operation has invested in a candidate's midterm election campaign. Trump’s Save America PAC sent $500,000 to a super PAC working to defeat Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, whom the former president has wanted out of office since he...
3 Killed in Robbery
at Georgia Gun Range
Apr 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
3 Killed in Robbery at Georgia Gun Range
Police say 40 guns were taken after owner, wife, grandson killed
- Three people were murdered Friday in a robbery at a shooting range in Georgia, police say. The Grantville Police Department says the owner, his wife, and their grandson were killed at the Lock Stock & Barrel Shooting Range in a rural area around 50 miles southwest of Atlanta, CNN reports....
Inmates to Train
Apr 8, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
'Life-Changer' Program Frees Inmates to Train Shelter Dogs
Canine CellMates' Beyond the Bars pretrial diversion program underway in Atlanta
- A dog's love can change lives, as Susan Jacobs-Meadows, founder of Canine CellMates, well knows. Since 2013, the nonprofit has boosted spirits by placing shelter dogs inside the cells of some 400 male inmates at Atlanta's Fulton County Jail, who agree to train them for adoption ,
Stacey Abrams Turns Her
Personal Finances Around
Apr 5, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Stacey Abrams Turns Her Personal Finances Around
Georgia Democrat, who had little money before 2018 run, is now a multi-millionaire
- When Democrat Stacey Abrams first ran for Georgia governor in 2018, her lackluster personal finances and a hefty bill from the IRS gave Republicans fodder to question how she could manage a state budget when she struggled with her own debts. As she launches a second bid this year, that'...
$4.8M Settlement Reached
Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Apr 4, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
$4.8M Settlement Reached Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Julian Lewis was killed by a Georgia state trooper
The family of a Black man fatally shot by a Georgia state trooper in 2020 will receive a $4.8 million settlement from the state. A lawyer for Julian Lewis' family says the settlement was reached last month before a lawsuit was filed, the
New York Times
Exposed in Ga.: 'Underworld
of Human Trafficking'
Apr 2, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Exposed in Ga.: 'Underworld of Human Trafficking'
3 men have been sentenced for a 'modern-day slavery' scheme involving Central Americans
- Three men have been sentenced to federal prison as part of a broad investigation into what authorities say was a wide-ranging conspiracy to bring workers from Central America to the United States for forced labor on southern Georgia farms. The three men were charged in separate but related cases related...
After Students Arrive
2 Minutes Late,
Professor Calls Cops
Apr 1, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
After Students Arrive 2 Minutes Late, Professor Calls Cops
Georgia State University says it is looking into incident
- Georgia State University students are speaking out against a professor who called the police on two students who arrived two minutes late for her English class. In a TikTok video posted Wednesday, student Bria Blake says professor Carissa Gray asked her classmates Taylor and Kamryn to leave after they arrived...
Cops: Man Shot Co-Worker, 71,
After Argument on Work Trip
Mar 29, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Cops: Man Shot Co-Worker, 71, After Argument on Work Trip
67-year-old charged with murder after shooting on interstate in Georgia
- One man from Philadelphia is dead and another is in jail after a dispute during a work trip to Georgia, authorities say. The sheriff's office in Jackson County in northeast Georgia says 71-year-old Samuel Sanders was found unresponsive in a truck in an emergency lane on Interstate 85 around...
Mar 12, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Barring 'Divisive Concepts' in Schools Clears State Senate
Georgia legislature considers several similar bills on teaching race
- Legislation prohibiting Georgia schools from teaching nine racial and ethnic concepts it defines as divisive has passed the state Senate. The bill cleared 32-20 on Friday, CNN reports, with Republicans voting yes and Democrats no, and goes next to the House. The measure also would apply to training in state...
May Take Over
Mar 8, 2022 10:35 AM CST
These Giant 'Flying' Spiders May Take Over East Coast
'Try to learn to live with them' is scientists' advice
- Last fall, Georgia residents were dismayed to make the acquaintance of the Joro spider, a palm-sized, "flying" creature hailing from East Asia that showed up in the Peach State by the millions. Now, scientists say, people further north should prepare, because the 3-inch-long arachnids with bright yellow stripes, also...
Man Blew $60K in COVID Funds
on a Pokemon Card
Mar 8, 2022 7:03 AM CST
Man Blew $60K in COVID Funds on a Pokemon Card
Vinath Oudomsine was stripped of 'Charizard' on his way to prison
- A 31-year-old Georgia man will spend three years in prison after using $57,789 of his $85,000 COVID-19 disaster relief loan to buy a Pokemon card. Vinath Oudomsine, 31, of Dublin applied to the Small Business Administration for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan around July 2020, claiming he operated...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.