Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Couple to Pay $28K for
Mistreating Foster Child
Nov 1, 2023 11:49 AM CDT
US Couple to Pay $28K for Mistreating Foster Child
Some Ugandan activists are angered by the outcome
- The US couple charged in Uganda with child trafficking and torture of their 10-year-old foster son has instead pleaded guilty to child cruelty and "inhumane treatment," reports the BBC . Whereas Mackenzie Leing Mathias Spencer and Nicholas Spencer faced life in prison if convicted of the original counts, they'...
Torture Made 9/11 Defendant
Delusional, Psychotic: Panel
Sep 21, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Torture Made 9/11 Defendant Delusional, Psychotic: Panel
Judge will rule on whether he can still stand trial
- A military medical panel has concluded that one of the five 9/11 defendants held at the Guantanamo Bay naval base has been rendered delusional and psychotic by the torture he underwent years ago while in CIA custody, the AP reports. The findings heighten uncertainty over whether Ramzi bin al-Shibh, who...
Torture Suspect Is Dead
Feb 1, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Police: On-the-Lam Torture Suspect Is Dead
Benjamin Obadiah Foster, 36, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, per Oregon cops
- Police on Tuesday said the case of a man wanted in Oregon for a violent kidnapping case had been "resolved." Now, an update: Benjamin Obadiah Foster is dead. A Grants Pass Police Department rep tells KTVL that the 36-year-old suspect died after being taken to the hospital with...
Cops: Standoff With
Torture Suspect 'Resolved'
Feb 1, 2023 12:01 AM CST
Cops: Standoff With Torture Suspect 'Resolved'
Oregon police say Benjamin Foster has been taken into custody
- A standoff on Tuesday involving a man suspected in a violent kidnapping in Oregon who was barricaded underneath a home has been “resolved,” police said, per the AP . Grants Pass Police Lt. Jeff Hattersley told KTVL-TV Tuesday evening that Benjamin Obadiah Foster, 36, was underneath the house in...
Cops 'Laser-Focused' in Felon
Manhunt in New Torture Case
Jan 27, 2023 1:47 PM CST
Cops 'Laser-Focused' in Felon Manhunt in New Torture Case
Oregon cops are searching for Benjamin Obadiah Foster, suspected of holding woman captive
- Police in southern Oregon were searching Thursday for a man accused of torturing a woman he held captive, less than two years after he was convicted in Nevada of keeping another woman in captivity for weeks before the victim managed to escape. Grants Pass Police Chief Warren Hensman said in...
Women, Children in DRC
Raped, Tortured in Droves: UN
Dec 27, 2022 12:04 PM CST
Women, Children in DRC Raped, Tortured in Droves: UN
New report details deteriorating situation as M23 rebels overrun eastern part of Congo
- The accounts are haunting. Abductions, torture, rapes. Scores of civilians, including women and children, have been killed by M23 rebels in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo, per a UN report. In addition, the rebels have forced children to be soldiers, according to the 21-page report by...
In Ukraine, More Grisly
Evidence of Atrocities
Nov 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Ukraine, More Grisly Evidence of Atrocities
EU seeks specialized court to investigate possible Russian war crimes in Ukraine
- Russia's retreat from eastern Ukraine in April revealed what many said was evidence of war crimes . Now, the pattern is repeating in southern Ukraine with the retreat of Russian soldiers from Kherson, the
New York Times
reports, describing "mounting evidence of atrocities" there. In the village of Pravdyne...
Woman's 'Death by Stoning'
Sentence Rattles Activists
Jul 13, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Woman's 'Death by Stoning' Sentence Rattles Activists
It's the first such sentence in Sudan in nearly a decade
- An October military coup in Sudan may have shifted the movement on women's rights there, and not in a good way. A 20-year-old woman arrested in White Nile state last month and charged with adultery has now heard her fate: death by stoning, the first known sentence like it...
Woman Flees Home, Describes
Torture, Rape Over 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Woman Flees Home, Describes Torture, Rape Over 6 Months
Peter McGuire of Chino Hills, Calif., arrested Saturday, is held without bail
- Though a sheriff's deputy responded numerous times to a California home where a young woman was held captive and tortured over six months, help remained elusive until she managed to escape on her own Thursday, according to authorities. The 22-year-old woman, who'd unknowingly moved in with a man...
Tortured Turpin Siblings
Describe 'Hell' They Endured
Nov 10, 2021 12:38 PM CST
Tortured Turpin Siblings Describe 'Hell' They Endured
'I thought I was going to die,' Jordan Turpin tells Diane Sawyer
- Reflecting on her childhood, Jennifer Turpin says "the only word I know to call it is 'hell.'" It's no wonder considering the 32-year-old grew up in what media outlets have dubbed a "house of horrors." Turpin was one of 13 siblings rescued in...
Officers on Gitmo Jury Slam
Torture, Recommend Clemency
Nov 1, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Officers on Gitmo Jury Slam Torture, Recommend Clemency
They call treatment of Majid Khan 'a stain on the moral fiber of America'
- After a two-day sentencing hearing at Guantanamo Bay, a military jury sentenced former al-Qaeda operative Majid Khan to 26 years Friday—but seven of the eight jurors took the unusual step of writing a letter to a senior official urging clemency. The military officers, who had been required to sentence...
of Abuse at
Oct 29, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Gitmo Inmate Describes Years of Abuse at CIA Sites
'I thought I was going to die,' Majid Khan says
- A Guantanamo Bay prisoner who went through the brutal US government interrogation program after the 9/11 attacks described it openly for the first time Thursday, saying he was left terrified and hallucinating from techniques that the CIA long sought to keep secret. Majid Khan, a former resident of the Baltimore...
US: Guantanamo Detainee
Is Allowed to Describe Torture
Oct 18, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
US: Guantanamo Detainee Is Allowed to Describe Torture
Poland is investigating Abu Zubaydah's treatment at secret CIA site
- The Biden administration says it will allow a Guantanamo Bay detainee to provide information to Polish officials about his torture in CIA custody following the 9/11 attacks. The decision from the Biden administration was included in a letter government lawyers filed Friday with the Supreme Court. The administration said it...
Cell Check Missed
May 28, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
Cell Check Missed Beheaded Inmate: IG Reports
Guards instead reported both California prisoners were alive
- It must have taken hours to decapitate and dissect the body of Luis Romero in his cell at California's Corcoran State Prison. But the guards, who were supposed to be checking the cells, didn't see anything. In fact, they reported that everyone was fine, according to two reports...
Ghislaine Maxwell's Brother:
Her Conditions Are Torture
Mar 10, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell's Brother: Her Conditions Are Torture
Says she has access to 'brown' water and 'inedible' food in jail
- The brother of Jeffrey Epstein's former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell said Wednesday she should be released on bail from jail and claimed that she was being held in "degrading" conditions that amount to torture. Her brother Ian Maxwell told the BBC Wednesday he was worried about her health and...
In Case of the ISIS
'Beatles,' a Milestone
Oct 7, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
In Case of the ISIS 'Beatles,' a Milestone
El Shafee Elsheikh, Alexanda Kotey are indicted, accused of beheadings, torture of Westerners
- The Justice Department unsealed charges Wednesday against two Islamic State militants from Britain, accusing them of carrying out a gruesome campaign of torture, beheadings, and other acts of violence against Western hostages they'd captured in Syria, including four Americans. El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey are two of four...
in Sea Container
Jul 7, 2020 3:19 PM CDT
Cops Make Disturbing Find in Sea Container
It had been converted into a torture chamber
- Dutch police arrested six men after discovering shipping containers that had been converted into a makeshift prison and sound-proofed "torture chamber" complete with a dentist's chair, and tools including pliers, scalpels, and handcuffs, a high-ranking officer announced Tuesday. Authorities said police conducted the raid before the torture chamber...
Man Gets 7 Life Sentences
for Horrific 3-Week Assault
May 3, 2020 5:25 PM CDT
Man Gets 7 Life Sentences for Horrific 3-Week Assault
Nicholas John Crilley is going away for a long time
- What Nicholas John Crilley did is hard to read about—so if you have any doubt, please stop here. The Australian was sentenced Friday to seven life sentences for torturing, raping, beating, and burning a woman over three unimaginable weeks, 7 News reports. The 34-year-old's attacks left her so...
'I Will Cut Your
Jan 28, 2020 4:33 PM CST
CIA Psychologist: 'I Will Cut Your Son's Throat'
James Mitchell testifies in pre-trial hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- First came 183 waterboardings. Then, a threat: Another attack on US soil, and I'll kill your son. That's what CIA psychologist James Mitchell admitted Monday at a pretrial hearing in the case of alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the
reports. "If there was a...
CIA Psychologists to Face
Jan 20, 2020 2:21 PM CST
CIA Psychologists to Face Waterboarded Defendants
James Mitchell and Bruce Jessen must testify in a pretrial hearing in 9/11 case
- The trial of five men accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks doesn't begin until next year, notes NPR . But a crucial pretrial hearing gets underway this week featuring the two psychologists who designed the harsh interrogation techniques, roundly described as torture, used by the CIA to elicit statements. James...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.