Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What Happens When 150K
Tomatoes Spill on a Highway?
Aug 30, 2022 4:31 PM CDT
What Happens When 150K Tomatoes Spill on a Highway?
'A gooey concoction of watery tomato juice, oil, and dirt'
- A major tomato spill caused a colossal mess and spoiled the Monday morning commute on I-80 near Vacaville, California. According to the
New York Times,
it’s not unusual to see a few spilled tomatoes along the winding roads in Solano County, but to have approximately 150,000 of them...
Caught Fire,' Kept Igniting
Jun 22, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Tesla 'Spontaneously Caught Fire,' Kept Igniting
Electric vehicle had been damaged in a crash weeks before
- A Tesla Model S had been sitting in a scrapyard for three weeks following a collision when it spontaneously burst into flames this month, then kept re-igniting, transforming into "a heap of melted and burned metal," per the
. The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District described how the...
Cops: At Least
5 Gunmen Involved in
Apr 6, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
Cops: At Least 5 Gunmen Involved in Sacramento Shooting
Police say gunfight involved rival gangs
- The mass shooting that left six people dead and 12 wounded outside bars just a block from California’s Capitol last weekend was a gunfight involving at least five shooters from rival gangs, Sacramento police said Wednesday. Police said they identified at least five gunmen but there may have been...
Man Injured in Sacramento
Mass Shooting Arrested
Apr 5, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
Man Injured in Sacramento Mass Shooting Arrested
Smiley Martin is the brother of the suspect arrested Monday, police say
- A second suspect arrested Tuesday in connection with the mass shooting that killed six people in Sacramento had posted a live Facebook video of himself brandishing a handgun hours before gunfire erupted, a law enforcement official tells the AP . Smiley Martin, 27, who is the brother of the first suspect...
Suspect Arrested in
Sacramento Mass Shooting
Apr 4, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Suspect Arrested in Sacramento Mass Shooting
Coroner releases names of 6 victims
- Police in Sacramento say a "related suspect" has been arrested in connection with the deadliest mass shooting in the California city's history. Police said Monday that Dandre Martin, 26, was arrested and faces charges of assault with a deadly weapon and illegal firearms possession, the
There Were Multiple Shooters
in Sacramento Mass Killing
Apr 4, 2022 12:25 AM CDT
There Were Multiple Shooters in Sacramento Mass Killing
6 dead in California capital city's worst mass shooting
- At least two shooters were involved in the shooting that left six dead and 12 wounded early Sunday in Sacramento, police say, but no suspects were yet in custody as of Sunday afternoon. The tragedy is the California capital city's worst-ever mass shooting. It took place in a part...
Mass Shooting in Sacramento
a 'Very Complicated Scene'
Apr 3, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Mass Shooting in Sacramento a 'Very Complicated Scene'
6 people died, 12 others were injured
- Police in California are searching for at least one suspect in connection with a mass shooting early Sunday in downtown Sacramento that claimed six lives and left 12 other people injured. Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester said at a news conference that police were patrolling the area at about 2am...
Man Who Killed
His 3 Daughters Had Been
Arrested Days Before
Mar 2, 2022 1:00 AM CST
Man Who Killed His 3 Daughters Had Been Arrested Days Before
David Mora was released on bail after assaulting CHP officer
- The father who fatally shot his three daughters , their chaperone, and himself during a supervised visit at a Sacramento church Monday had been arrested on charges involving violence just days before the tragedy. David Mora, also identified as David Fidel Mora-Rojas, was pulled over for driving drunk Feb. 23 and...
$150K Reward Offered
in Lake Tahoe Killing
Feb 5, 2022 3:25 PM CST
$150K Reward Offered in Lake Tahoe Killing
Shooter hid in home for 4 hours, police say
- The daughter of a Lake Tahoe, Calif., man shot to death in a June home invasion is offering 150,000 reasons for someone to come forward about the crime, FOX 40 reports. A man shown on surveillance video sneaked into the home of Robert Spohr and Wendy Wood, hid until...
California District Works to Get
27 Students Out of Afghanistan
Sep 1, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
California District Works to Get 27 Students Out of Afghanistan
Families were visiting relatives during summer break
- A California school district is still waiting for the return of about 27 students who went to Afghanistan on summer break with their families. The Sacramento County students were there to visit relatives and for other personal reasons,
reports. "We believe that some of these families may...
Student Athlete Dies After
Collapsing During Game
Mar 21, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Student Athlete Dies After Collapsing During Game
Emmanuel Antwi was 18
- A high school football player who collapsed during a game on Friday has died, SFGate reports. Emmanuel “Manny” Antwi, 18, a senior at Kennedy High, fell to the ground during the fourth quarter of the game against Hiram Johnson High, per the
. He was given medical attention,...
I-5 Strangler Slain in Prison
Mar 2, 2021 1:31 PM CST
I-5 Strangler Slain in Prison
Roger Kibbe would look for women having car trouble along the road
- Roger Kibbe, who was convicted in the deaths of at least seven women over two decades in the Sacramento area, was killed Sunday in his cell, California prison officials said. The serial killer, who became known as the "I-5 Strangler" because he seized most of his victims along the...
40 Years After Calif.
Apr 28, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Neighbor Arrested 40 Years After Calif. Woman's Murder
Philip Wilson, 71, identified via familial DNA, accused of killing 20-year-old Robin Brooks
- Since 1980, Maria Arrick has hoped her sister's killer would be caught. A day before the 40th anniversary of Robin Brooks' rape and murder, police in Sacramento, Calif., apparently found their man. Brooks' 71-year-old former neighbor, Philip Wilson, was arrested at his Sacramento home on Thursday and charged with...
'Rogue Reporter' Jumped
on Classic Cars at Auto Show
Oct 23, 2019 2:43 AM CDT
'Rogue Reporter' Jumped on Classic Cars at Auto Show
Sacramento station says he was fired immediately
- A TV reporter was fired over what the Sacramento International Auto Show called "astonishingly awful" behavior. In a live segment for KMAX's
Good Day Sacramento
, Angel Cardenas frolicked among classic cars before the auto show opened to the public, jumping on two 1950s Ford Thunderbirds, the
They Were Voting on a Bill.
Then the 'Blood' Rained Down
Sep 14, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
They Were Voting on a Bill. Then the 'Blood' Rained Down
Woman allegedly hurled menstrual cup with what 'appeared to be blood' at Calif. state senators
- California's state senators trying to get through the last day of the legislative year in Sacramento got a somewhat early break Friday after a protester's actions spurred the evacuation of the Capitol's chambers. The
Los Angeles Times
report that around 5:15pm, as the...
Woman in Coma After
Using Face Cream
Sep 12, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Woman in Coma After Using Face Cream
Sacramento woman bought skin-lightening cream in Mexico tainted with mercury
- A 47-year-old woman from Sacramento, Calif., stumbled into the ER earlier this summer, slurring her speech and complaining of numbness in her face and hands. Soon after, she slipped into a semi-comatose state, which she's now been in for weeks, and health officials say they've traced the cause...
Dozens Injured in
Aug 23, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Dozens Injured in Sacramento Derailment
2 trains collided, authorities say
- Authorities say more than two dozen people were injured in a light rail train derailment in northern California Thursday night. Sacramento Fire Capt. Keith Wade tells the
that 27 people were injured, including 13 people who were transported to trauma hospitals. He said the remaining "walking wounded"...
Police Take Heat After
Rookie Gets Ambushed
Jun 23, 2019 2:35 PM CDT
Police Take Heat After Rookie Gets Ambushed
Tara O'Sullivan was shot dead with a high-powered rifle
- California police have released terrifying bodycam footage of a domestic-violence call that took a rookie officer's life,
reports. Tara O'Sullivan, 26, died in a hail of bullets Wednesday when five officers entered a garage in Sacramento. "Hello, police department. If you're in here, let...
'Unacceptable' Delay Blasted
After Shooting of Rookie Cop
Jun 21, 2019 7:18 AM CDT
'Unacceptable' Delay Blasted After Shooting of Rookie Cop
It took 45 minutes to rescue Tara O'Sullivan
- "We suffered a devastating loss yesterday with the death of Officer Tara O'Sullivan, who was killed in the line of duty," Sacramento police academy director Lt. Steve Oliveira told 56 recruits at an emotional graduation ceremony Thursday night. O'Sullivan, who graduated from the academy in December...
Gunman Fires on Cops Trying
to Reach Wounded Colleague
Jun 20, 2019 4:26 AM CDT
Gunman Fires on Cops Trying to Reach Wounded Colleague
Sacramento officer fatally shot during domestic call
- A Sacramento police officer who was shot and seriously wounded Wednesday evening by a rifleman who blasted away at officers trying to rescue her has died, police said. Tara O'Sullivan, 26, died at UC Davis Medical Center hours after a gunman opened fire on her, Deputy Chief Dave Peletta...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.