Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
California District Works to Get
27 Students Out of Afghanistan
Sep 1, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
California District Works to Get 27 Students Out of Afghanistan
Families were visiting relatives during summer break
- A California school district is still waiting for the return of about 27 students who went to Afghanistan on summer break with their families. The Sacramento County students were there to visit relatives and for other personal reasons,
reports. "We believe that some of these families may...
Student Athlete Dies After
Collapsing During Game
Mar 21, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Student Athlete Dies After Collapsing During Game
Emmanuel Antwi was 18
- A high school football player who collapsed during a game on Friday has died, SFGate reports. Emmanuel “Manny” Antwi, 18, a senior at Kennedy High, fell to the ground during the fourth quarter of the game against Hiram Johnson High, per the
. He was given medical attention,...
I-5 Strangler Slain in Prison
Mar 2, 2021 1:31 PM CST
I-5 Strangler Slain in Prison
Roger Kibbe would look for women having car trouble along the road
- Roger Kibbe, who was convicted in the deaths of at least seven women over two decades in the Sacramento area, was killed Sunday in his cell, California prison officials said. The serial killer, who became known as the "I-5 Strangler" because he seized most of his victims along the...
40 Years After Calif.
Apr 28, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Neighbor Arrested 40 Years After Calif. Woman's Murder
Philip Wilson, 71, identified via familial DNA, accused of killing 20-year-old Robin Brooks
- Since 1980, Maria Arrick has hoped her sister's killer would be caught. A day before the 40th anniversary of Robin Brooks' rape and murder, police in Sacramento, Calif., apparently found their man. Brooks' 71-year-old former neighbor, Philip Wilson, was arrested at his Sacramento home on Thursday and charged with...
'Rogue Reporter' Jumped
on Classic Cars at Auto Show
Oct 23, 2019 2:43 AM CDT
'Rogue Reporter' Jumped on Classic Cars at Auto Show
Sacramento station says he was fired immediately
- A TV reporter was fired over what the Sacramento International Auto Show called "astonishingly awful" behavior. In a live segment for KMAX's
Good Day Sacramento
, Angel Cardenas frolicked among classic cars before the auto show opened to the public, jumping on two 1950s Ford Thunderbirds, the
They Were Voting on a Bill.
Then the 'Blood' Rained Down
Sep 14, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
They Were Voting on a Bill. Then the 'Blood' Rained Down
Woman allegedly hurled menstrual cup with what 'appeared to be blood' at Calif. state senators
- California's state senators trying to get through the last day of the legislative year in Sacramento got a somewhat early break Friday after a protester's actions spurred the evacuation of the Capitol's chambers. The
Los Angeles Times
report that around 5:15pm, as the...
Woman in Coma After
Using Face Cream
Sep 12, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Woman in Coma After Using Face Cream
Sacramento woman bought skin-lightening cream in Mexico tainted with mercury
- A 47-year-old woman from Sacramento, Calif., stumbled into the ER earlier this summer, slurring her speech and complaining of numbness in her face and hands. Soon after, she slipped into a semi-comatose state, which she's now been in for weeks, and health officials say they've traced the cause...
Dozens Injured in
Aug 23, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Dozens Injured in Sacramento Derailment
2 trains collided, authorities say
- Authorities say more than two dozen people were injured in a light rail train derailment in northern California Thursday night. Sacramento Fire Capt. Keith Wade tells the
that 27 people were injured, including 13 people who were transported to trauma hospitals. He said the remaining "walking wounded"...
Police Take Heat After
Rookie Gets Ambushed
Jun 23, 2019 2:35 PM CDT
Police Take Heat After Rookie Gets Ambushed
Tara O'Sullivan was shot dead with a high-powered rifle
- California police have released terrifying bodycam footage of a domestic-violence call that took a rookie officer's life,
reports. Tara O'Sullivan, 26, died in a hail of bullets Wednesday when five officers entered a garage in Sacramento. "Hello, police department. If you're in here, let...
'Unacceptable' Delay Blasted
After Shooting of Rookie Cop
Jun 21, 2019 7:18 AM CDT
'Unacceptable' Delay Blasted After Shooting of Rookie Cop
It took 45 minutes to rescue Tara O'Sullivan
- "We suffered a devastating loss yesterday with the death of Officer Tara O'Sullivan, who was killed in the line of duty," Sacramento police academy director Lt. Steve Oliveira told 56 recruits at an emotional graduation ceremony Thursday night. O'Sullivan, who graduated from the academy in December...
Gunman Fires on Cops Trying
to Reach Wounded Colleague
Jun 20, 2019 4:26 AM CDT
Gunman Fires on Cops Trying to Reach Wounded Colleague
Sacramento officer fatally shot during domestic call
- A Sacramento police officer who was shot and seriously wounded Wednesday evening by a rifleman who blasted away at officers trying to rescue her has died, police said. Tara O'Sullivan, 26, died at UC Davis Medical Center hours after a gunman opened fire on her, Deputy Chief Dave Peletta...
Automotive Writer Was Almost
Done With Test-Drive, Vanished
in case you missed it
Jun 15, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Automotive Writer Was Almost Done With Test-Drive, Vanished
David Gordon Johnson was last heard from Wednesday morning
- A freelance automotive writer who set off on a lengthy test drive of a motorcycle in California has gone missing south of Sacramento, though the bike has been recovered. CNN reports David Gordon Johnson texted his fiancee at 2am Wednesday, June 5, to explain why he hadn't been in...
Journo Covering Stephon Clark
Protest Gets Busted Himself
Mar 5, 2019 4:30 AM CST
Journo Covering Stephon Clark Protest Gets Busted Himself
'I'm very disappointed that the protest ended the way it did,' says Sacramento mayor of 80 arrests
- A protest over the shooting of an unarmed black man by Sacramento police has ended with at least 80 arrests, police say. Among those detained were clergy and a reporter. Capt. Norm Leong tweeted that the protest Monday night ended with "80 plus arrests. Still processing it all."...
No Charges for Cops
Who Shot Stephon Clark
Mar 2, 2019 4:15 PM CST
No Charges for Cops Who Shot Stephon Clark
Clark only had a cellphone when he was shot dead
- The two Sacramento police officers whose fatal shooting of an unarmed black man last year prompted nationwide protests will not face criminal charges, prosecutors announced Saturday, the AP reports. Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said Officers Terrance Mercadal and Jared Robinet used lethal force lawfully. The officers have...
Breathing San Fran
Air Like Smoking
Nov 17, 2018 7:00 AM CST
Breathing San Fran Air Like Smoking 11 Cigarettes: Researchers
Smog from wildfires has given San Francisco, Stockton, Sacramento worst pollution in the world
- The smoke in some parts of California from the wildfires has been "overwhelming," and now the air in some cities there has earned a new descriptor: the world's worst. CNN reports on a sobering chart from the Berkeley Earth nonprofit , which pulls together stats from sites that...
Serial Rape Suspect
Arrested After 27 Years
Sep 22, 2018 8:10 AM CDT
Serial Rape Suspect Arrested After 27 Years
California authorities say they have the 'NorCal Rapist' in custody, thanks to DNA
- It's taken nearly three decades, but California authorities think they've finally nabbed the "NorCal Rapist." At a Friday presser, Sacramento Police Chief Daniel Hahn and Sacramento County DA Anne Marie Schubert said Roy Charles Waller, 58, was arrested Thursday as he showed up to work at...
Deputy Killed in Shootout
at Calif. Auto Parts Store
Sep 18, 2018 12:17 AM CDT
Deputy Killed in Shootout at Calif. Auto Parts Store
Bystander, second officer wounded
- Flags at California's Capitol are flying at half-staff after a Sacramento County sheriff's deputy was killed and a second wounded in a confrontation at a Pep Boys store. A bystander and the suspected gunman also were wounded in Monday afternoon's shootout at the auto parts store in...
Police ID Victims in Fatal
Road-Rage Fight, Crash
Aug 14, 2018 8:41 AM CDT
Police ID Victims in Fatal Road-Rage Fight, Crash
Witnesses say one man used a bat to kill the other, then was hit by a car
- Police in California now have a better idea what happened in a road-rage incident over the weekend that left two drivers dead. Vehicles driven by Jose Rodriguez-Carrasco, 37, and Jason Dykes, 39, hit each other on I-5 near Sacramento about 3:45am Sunday, reports the
. The men drove...
Cop Car Hits Stephon Clark
Protester in 'Hit and Run'
Apr 1, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Cop Car Hits Stephon Clark Protester in 'Hit and Run'
'If I did that I'd be charged,' demonstrator says
- Tensions flared Saturday at a vigil for Stephon Clark in Sacramento when a sheriff's vehicle knocked over a protester and drove off, the
reports. The protester, Amanda Cleveland, lay motionless on the street until taken to hospital, and was later released with bruises on her head and...
Stephon Clark Shot
Multiple Times in Back
Mar 30, 2018 2:26 PM CDT
Stephon Clark Shot Multiple Times in Back
Private autopsy says he was shot 8 times in all, took up to 10 minutes to die
- The family of Stephon Clark released the results of a private autopsy on Friday that shows police shot him eight times, mostly in the back, reports the
. Bullets hit the 22-year-old in the back, neck, and thigh, per the
, and the AP says seven of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.