Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Fumes at Netanyahu,
Drops F-Bomb in Interview
Dec 10, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Trump Fumes at Netanyahu, Drops F-Bomb in Interview
He says former Israeli leader should not have congratulated Joe Biden after the election
- Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu had strong ties when both were leading their respective nations. Today, not so much. In an interview with Israeli journalist Barak Ravid for Ravid's new book, Trump seethes at the former prime minister for congratulating Joe Biden after the 2020 election he continues to...
Netanyahu Moving Out Weeks
After Being Voted Out
Jun 20, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Netanyahu Moving Out Weeks After Being Voted Out
Israel has no established protocol for handing over official residence
- Benjamin Netanyahu says he and his family will move out of Israel's official prime minister's residence by July 10, nearly a month after he was ousted from office following a record 12-year reign. That's not nearly soon enough for critics who have long accused the Netanyahus of...
Netanyahu Gets Booted, Then
Makes Seating Faux Pas
Jun 14, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
Netanyahu Gets Booted, Then Makes Seating Faux Pas
He sat down in prime minister's chair after getting booted, though it appears to have been inadvertent
- Israel has a new prime minister , but the old one seems rather resistant to leaving his post. Naftali Bennett officially took over the job on Monday from Benjamin Netanyahu, after the latter's 12-year rule, and the friction surrounding Netanyahu's ouster was apparent. First, there was no traditional handing-over...
Netanyahu's Long Tenure
Officially Over in Israel
Jun 13, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Netanyahu's Long Tenure Officially Over in Israel
Naftali Bennett will be sworn in Monday morning
- Benjamin Netanyahu is leaving office after 12 straight years, 15 years total. Naftali Bennett's coalition government survived—barely—a confidence vote Sunday, the
New York Times
reports. The Knesset, Israel's parliament, was closely split, with a 60-59 majority favoring Bennett, who will be sworn in as prime minister...
Israel Coalition Reaches
Deal to Oust Netanyahu
Jun 2, 2021 5:16 PM CDT
Israel Coalition Reaches Deal to Oust Netanyahu
Yair Lapid, Naftali Bennet would take turns as PM
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s opponents on Wednesday announced they have reached a deal to form a new governing coalition, paving the way for the ouster of the longtime Israeli leader. The dramatic announcement by opposition leader Yair Lapid and his main coalition partner, Naftali Bennett, came shortly before a...
Deal to Oust
May 30, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Parties Strike Deal to Oust Netanyahu
Naftali Bennett would lead power-sharing government
- Opposition parties in Israel announced Sunday that they have assembled enough support to form a unity government and replace longtime Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The negotiations have gone on for weeks, the
reports. Netanyahu has failed to decisively win four elections in the past two years. "We...
Biden to Stick
May 20, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
With Cease-Fire, Biden to Stick With 'Quiet Diplomacy'
Aides say administration officials have been on the phone to other leaders 80 times
- President Biden has said little to the nation about the Israeli-Palestinian fighting, and he's heard about that, from people who wanted him to do or say more. With the cease-fire announced Thursday, Biden stepped to the White House microphone to praise everyone involved and to offer assurances that he'...
Attacks on Gaza Kill 42
in Deadliest Day Yet
May 16, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Attacks on Gaza Kill 42 in Deadliest Day Yet
Air war intensifies as security council meets
- Sunday became the deadliest day in the week of Israeli-Palestinian fighting so far, with Israel striking residences in Gaza City and Hamas firing more than 100 rockets across the border. The Israeli airstrikes targeted several homes on a main road leading to Shifa Hospital, the
Biden Calls Netanyahu, Abbas
With Concerns About Gaza
May 15, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Biden Calls Netanyahu, Abbas With Concerns About Gaza
President raises the safety of journalists with Israeli leader
- President Biden called both sides Saturday in an effort to get them to dial back the heavy fighting in the Gaza Strip. One of the concerns he expressed to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, according to a White House release, was about the safety of journalists there. The president "...
Vote Is a Clear
Defeat for Netanyahu
Mar 25, 2021 4:22 PM CDT
Vote Is a Clear Defeat for Netanyahu
Prime minister lacks a majority to form a government, making another election possible
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his right-wing allies fell short of winning a parliamentary majority in Israel's latest election, according to a final vote count released Thursday, leaving a political deadlock that put the longtime leader's political future in question. The fourth election in just two years brought...
After 30 Years Behind Bars,
Spy Is Now 'Home'
Dec 30, 2020 9:40 AM CST
After 30 Years Behind Bars, Spy Is Now 'Home'
Jonathan Pollard, ex-analyst for US Navy, has been granted citizenship in Israel
- Jonathan Pollard, who spent 30 years in US prison for spying for Israel, arrived in Israel early Wednesday with his wife, triumphantly kissing the ground as he disembarked from the aircraft. "We are ecstatic to be home at last after 35 years," Pollard said as he was greeted...
After Iranian Scientist Is Killed,
'Serious Indications' Emerge
Nov 27, 2020 10:15 AM CST
After Iranian Scientist Is Killed, 'Serious Indications' Emerge
Benjamin Netanyahu had mentioned Mohsen Fakhrizadeh before, said 'remember that name'
- Iran's foreign minister is alleging the killing of a scientist linked to the country's disbanded military nuclear program has "serious indications" of an Israeli role. Mohammad Javad Zarif made the statement Friday on Twitter, per the AP . "Terrorists murdered an eminent Iranian scientist today," Zarif...
PM Met Secretly
Nov 23, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Reports: Israeli PM Met Secretly With Saudi Crown Prince
Saudi Arabia is denying the meeting, which also reportedly included Mike Pompeo
- A secret rendezvous between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also in attendance, reportedly took place Sunday, Israeli sources say. Axios reports that flight data showed a private jet leaving Tel Aviv Sunday evening, arriving in the...
Another Mideast Deal
Oct 23, 2020 1:36 PM CDT
Trump Scores Another Mideast Deal
Sudan will join Arab nations normalizing relations with Israel
- President Trump said Friday that Sudan will normalize ties with Israel, making it the third Arab state to do so as part of US-brokered deals in the runup to Election Day. The deal, which would deepen Sudan's engagement with the West, follows Trump's conditional agreement this week to...
Israel Makes Move That
Puts a 'Heavy Price on Us All'
Sep 14, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Israel Makes Move That Puts a 'Heavy Price on Us All'
Nation going into new 3-week lockdown to try to control resurging coronavirus
- At the end of this week, Israel will head into familiar territory, though it's a landscape the country didn't want to reenter. CNN and the
report that, starting Friday at 2pm local time, the nation will start its second general lockdown, with rigid restrictions similar to...
This Case Is
May 24, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
Netanyahu: This Case Is 'Fabricated'
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu goes on trial
- Israel's prime minister arrived in a Jerusalem court Sunday and denounced the corruption case against him—along with officials, journalists, and police he claims fabricated the evidence, the
Times of Israel
reports. "Elements in the police and State Attorney’s Office banded together with left-wing journalists ... to fabricate...
Court: OK Netanyahu, You Win
May 6, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Court: OK Netanyahu, You Win
Ruling clears way for 'emergency government'
- Israel's Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may form a new government while under indictment for corruption charges, clearing the way for him and his main rival to join together in a controversial power-sharing deal. The unanimous decision, released just before midnight, ended a more than...
This Political Protest
Includes Social Distancing
Apr 25, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
This Political Protest Includes Social Distancing
Thousands of people oppose the new unity-government deal in Israel
- Several thousand Israelis rallied Saturday to demonstrate against a unity government deal reached last week that leaves Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in power as he prepares to go on trial for corruption charges, the AP reports. The protesters oppose having Netanyahu as prime minister as long as he is a...
Finally, Israelis Won't
Have to Vote Again
Apr 20, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
Finally, Israelis Won't Have to Vote Again
Deal averts 4th election in 12 months; Netanyahu will remain PM for now
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his chief rival signed an agreement Monday to form an "emergency” government, their parties announced in a joint statement. The deal between Netanyahu’s Likud Party and former military chief Benny Gantz’s Blue and White ends months of political paralysis and averts...
Netanyahu Distances Himself
From Son's Tweet on Protesters
Apr 18, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Netanyahu Distances Himself From Son's Tweet on Protesters
Yair Netanyahu wrote 'I hope the elderly who die following this protest will only be from your camp'
- Thousands of people took to the streets of Tel Aviv Thursday to demonstrate against Benjamin Netanyahu, with claims that he's steeped in corruption and undermining democracy amid the coronavirus pandemic. None other than the prime minister's son ended up stoking controversy over the protests. The
Times of Israel
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Michael Madsen: Son's Death Is 'Mind-Blowing'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.