Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Women Sue After Airbnb
Turns Into 'House of Horror'
Oct 31, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Women Sue After Airbnb Turns Into 'House of Horror'
Suit against rental site, Michigan homeowners comes after women say they were attacked by bats
- According to its Airbnb listing, the "Castle House" in Alpena, Michigan, is an "incredible historic home" that's "bursting with charm." According to a group of eight women who rented the abode earlier this year, the place is actually like a "horror movie," complete...
Majority of Homebuyers
OK With 'Haunted' House
Oct 25, 2023 3:07 PM CDT
Majority of Homebuyers OK With 'Haunted' House
Zillow survey finds 67% of potential homebuyers would buy one, if other factors fell into place
- Would you buy a "haunted" house if you saw it pop up online ? In this challenging market, the majority of house-hunting Americans say yes, so long as the home was appealing in other important ways.
reports that, per a new survey out from Zillow, 67% of potential...
US Tests 'Unique' Strategy
on Homes Near the Ocean
Oct 16, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
US Tests 'Unique' Strategy on Homes Near the Ocean
National Park Service buys 2 in Outer Banks and plans to tear them down
- Five homes have collapsed into the ocean over the last three years in the Outer Banks community of Rodanthe, North Carolina, notes the
. But that didn't prevent the sale of two adjacent—and "endangered"—homes in Rodanthe on the same day last week for more than...
The Era of the Smaller
Home Is Upon Us
Sep 9, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
The Era of the Smaller Home Is Upon Us
Square footage is dropping, as are accompanying home prices, as homebuilders try to attract buyers
- With the cost of housing so high these days, it's no wonder that many have given up on the idea of homeownership, at least for the time being. Now, homebuilders appear to have hit on a solution of sorts, at least for those willing to embrace minimalism: erecting smaller...
Check Out the $61M Digs
J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Jun 1, 2023 5:56 AM CDT
Check Out the $61M Digs J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Couple splurges for 12-bedroom, 24-bathroom (yes, 24) home in Beverly Hills
- When nature calls, it's good to know your new home has 24 bathrooms to choose from. We're not sure if that feature is what ultimately sold Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck on their new $61 million mansion, but it's the one the
homes in on...
Short on Cash?
Buy a Home Here
May 23, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Short on Cash? Buy a Home Here
Head to Montgomery, Alabama, for the most affordable abodes; avoid Santa Barbara, California
- With soaring home prices and interest rates, it may not seem like the best time to plunk down a down payment on a new home. Some US cities, however, make that goal more attainable than others, and WalletHub sifted through the data to suss out the top contenders. The site...
Hope Your Home
Sells Big? Folks
Love These Amenities
Apr 6, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Hope Your Home Sells Big? Folks Love These Amenities
Zillow finds she sheds, steam ovens, and more can offer a big boost to home sale prices
- Looking to put your home on the market? In addition to standard "curb appeal" maintenance you might have to do to boost your house's salability, there might already be a few things that fall in your house's favor, from a buyer's perspective. Real estate company Zillow...
Have $2M? Scoop Up the
Kennedys' Starter Home
Mar 28, 2023 10:54 AM CDT
Have $2M? Scoop Up the Kennedys' Starter Home
4-bedroom, 4-bath townhouse in Georgetown where JFK, Jackie lived as newlyweds is on market
- Before there was Camelot, there was 3321 Dent Place, the four-bedroom, four-bath townhouse in DC's Georgetown neighborhood where JFK and Jackie Kennedy moved just a few months after marrying in September 1953. Now, per Insider , that 3,072-square foot residence where the junior senator and his bride first set...
California Saturated Again.
Then, 'a Big Old Crunch'
Mar 17, 2023 11:09 AM CDT
California Saturated Again. Then, 'a Big Old Crunch'
Residents made to evacuate oceanfront homes in San Clemente after moisture-induced landslide
- The California city of San Clemente was hit by a landslide this week after heavy rains, an event that tore away at cliffsides, oceanfront decks, and pieces of patio and forced the evacuation of several apartment buildings perched on the edge of those cliffs. The
San Clemente Times
Developments to Provide
a Disney Lifestyle for Fans
Feb 16, 2022 4:47 PM CST
Developments to Provide a Disney Lifestyle for Fans
First project will be nearly 2K units in Rancho Mirage
- The Walt Disney Co. is getting back into developing housing communitites, giving fans a chance to "be part of Disney all of the time," an executive said Wednesday. The first project, Cotino, will be in Rancho Mirage, California, and include about 1,900 housing units,
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home
Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Someone decided this rundown San Francisco residence was worth $2M
- If paying a $6,600-a-month mortgage on a rundown home that doesn't have a single bedroom seems steep to you, at least one person doesn't agree. Per Insider , someone has scooped up such a property in San Francisco's Noe Valley neighborhood, paying $1.97 million for the...
It Began With a
Bobby Pin. Now She
Has a New Home
Dec 15, 2021 12:33 PM CST
It Began With a Bobby Pin. Now She Has a New Home
TikTokker Demi Skipper describes 'surreal' trading spree that nabbed her a Nashville abode
- A few months into the coronavirus pandemic, Demi Skipper offered up a bobby pin for trade. She's been trading up ever since, acquiring an Xbox, a diamond necklace, and several cars. But the 30-year-old San Francisco resident, who amassed 5 million followers while documenting her trades with strangers on...
How Much Does This
Guy Love His Wife?
Their House Now Spins
Oct 11, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
How Much Does This Guy Love His Wife? Their House Now Spins
Vojin Kusic, 72, designed and built home in Bosnia that rotates so his love can enjoy different views
- It's not exactly on par with India's Taj Mahal, but a family house in a small town in northern Bosnia is, in its own way, a monument to love. The house in Srbac was designed and built by 72-year-old Vojin Kusic. With a green facade and red metal...
Want This Charred Shell
of a Home? Get in Line
Aug 13, 2021 8:36 AM CDT
Want This Charred Shell of a Home? Get in Line
And have at least $850K in hand to compete in 'crazy' Bay Area buyer's market
- Nightmare homes for sale are apparently now a thing, and people are willing to pay big bucks for them if the location is right. Earlier this year, a "slice of hell" was offered for $590,000 in Colorado. Now, an incinerated abode in Walnut Creek, Calif., is up for...
First-Time Homebuyers May
Want to Check Here First
Jul 6, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
First-Time Homebuyers May Want to Check Here First
Chesapeake, Va., holds promise, as do several other Virginia cities
- With the pandemic showing signs of waning, plans that were put on hold are starting to gain new life. If you've been mulling buying your first home, some US cities may hold more promise than others. WalletHub looked at 300 cities of varying sizes across America, examining nearly two...
Home Gets a Reprieve
Jun 28, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
Home Gets a Reprieve
Owner Florence Fang gets to keep her Stone Age-style decor, plus $125K to cover legal costs
- Florence Fang calls her house "the past and the future combined together in harmony." The town of Hillsborough, Calif., calls it a "highly visible eyesore." But it's an eyesore that's going to stay, per a settlement the two parties have reached over the residence...
Site of Infamous Borden
Family Murders Is for Sale
Jan 12, 2021 12:33 PM CST
Site of Infamous Borden Family Murders Is for Sale
Fall River, Mass., home where Lizzie Borden's dad, stepmom died, can be yours for $2M
- The Massachusetts home where Lizzie Borden's father and stepmother were murdered with an ax has been listed for sale. The three-story Fall River clapboard house that has been converted into a museum and bed-and-breakfast was listed for sale online at an asking price of $2 million, the
Live Like the King for $2.5M
Dec 3, 2020 10:45 AM CST
Live Like the King for $2.5M
Elvis' honeymoon home up for grabs again
- The honeymoon hideaway of 1960s lovers Elvis and Priscilla Presley could be yours, and for a bargain compared to its 2014 asking price. The five-bedroom, five-bathroom Palm Springs home the couple inhabited for a year following their 1967 Las Vegas wedding is listed for $2.5 million , a fraction of...
His Family Lost Their
Home. Then, Her
Jan 9, 2020 10:15 AM CST
His Family Lost Their Home. Then, Her 'Special Numbers' Delivered
A hopeful story out of Australia's devastating bushfires
- Enormous tragedy followed by enormous good fortune: A Queensland man who lost his family home in New South Wales in Australia's devastating bushfires will be able to rebuild it with funds from the lottery he just won. The man, who doesn't want to be identified, won a million...
Oct 18, 2019 9:14 AM CDT
Former NFLer Donates 173rd Home: This Is 'Therapy'
Warrick Dunn's mom was killed when he was 18; his mission has been to help single parents
- After struggling through some recent hard times that led her to move back in with her mother, LaToya Reed and her 18-year-old son, AnTrez, received a most welcome gift on Tuesday: a fully furnished two-bedroom home in St. Petersburg, Fla. The house offering was thanks to a partnership between Habitat...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.