Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
vice presidential candidate
Stories 1 - 20 |
MTG Has Her Committees,
but Her Real Aim Is VP: Report
Jan 26, 2023 11:25 AM CST
MTG Has Her Committees, but Her Real Aim Is VP: Report
Marjorie Taylor Greene 'sees herself on the short list for Trump's VP,' says Steve Bannon
- Trump-Greene 2024? That remains the hope of second-term congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene, according to NBC News , which cites two sources as saying the Republican from Georgia is vying to be Donald Trump's running mate. "She sees herself on the short list for Trump's VP," former Trump...
Dictator's Son Picks Duterte's
Daughter as Running Mate
Nov 13, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Dictator's Son Picks Duterte's Daughter as Running Mate
Human rights activists concerned about Ferdinand Marcos Jr./Sara Duterte ticket
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's daughter on Saturday registered her candidacy for vice president in next year's elections and was chosen as the running mate of Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the son of the late Filipino dictator, in an alliance that has alarmed human rights activists. Sara Duterte backed out...
2 in Kamala Harris'
Camp Test Positive
Oct 15, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
2 in Kamala Harris' Camp Test Positive
Senator suspends travel, and campaign says Biden had no exposure
- COVID has hit the Biden campaign, too. Two people in Kamala Harris' camp have tested positive, and the senator is suspending travel and in-person events until Monday. Harris herself is not positive, and the campaign says Joe Biden had no exposure, though the AP notes he and Harris spent time...
Pence: I Didn't Know
the Fly Was There
Oct 12, 2020 4:52 PM CDT
Pence: I Didn't Know the Fly Was There
He says his children told him about it after debate
- Mike Pence was upstaged by an insect during last week's vice presidential debate—but he can see the funny side. The vice president laughed during a Fox News interview Monday when he was asked what his children had said about the fly that landed on his head for two...
VP Debate Has
Oct 8, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
VP Debate Has Unexpected Guest, on Pence's Head
A fly hanging out in his hair provided a little levity; folks also worried about his red eye
- Two minutes and three seconds. No, that wasn't how long it took moderator Susan Page to rein in the candidates whenever they went over their allotted time. That's how long a clearly noticeable fly remained perched in Mike Pence's closely cropped white hair, offering what
One Phrase the Debate
Moderator Kept Having to Say
Oct 7, 2020 10:31 PM CDT
One Phrase the Debate Moderator Kept Having to Say
'Thank you': how Susan Page tried to stifle the interruptions, candidates going over their time
- It wasn't quite the interrupt-fest that the first presidential debate was , but the face-off between Sen. Kamala Harris and Vice President Mike Pence at the vice presidential debate in Salt Lake City certainly had its moments. Although the first few minutes seemed relatively calm, soon moderator Susan Page found...
Harris on COVID
Oct 7, 2020 8:56 PM CDT
Harris on COVID Response: 'Failure.' Pence: That's 'Unconscionable'
Candidates spar early on in debate on the pandemic
- The first topic of Wednesday night's vice presidential debate at the University of Utah was the coronavirus pandemic, and sparks started flying immediately between Sen. Kamala Harris and Vice President Mike Pence. Harris first criticized what she called "the greatest failure of any presidential administration in the history...
Pence, Harris Face
Off, With 'Sharply
Oct 7, 2020 8:30 PM CDT
Pence, Harris Face Off, With 'Sharply Conflicting Visions'
Vice presidential candidates debate in Utah
- As the coronavirus sweeps through the upper reaches of government, Republican Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic challenger Kamala Harris faced off Wednesday night in a debate highlighting the parties' sharply conflicting visions for a nation in crisis, per the AP . The candidates appeared on the stage in the University...
Ex Campaign Aide:
Trump Wanted Ivanka as VP
Sep 28, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Ex Campaign Aide: Trump Wanted Ivanka as VP
Rick Gates says Trump floated idea of his daughter as running mate before picking Pence
- Rick Gates, a key Trump campaign adviser in the run-up to the 2016 election, has a book coming out next month, and in it he makes a claim that, if true and if it had come to fruition, would've meant we'd be saying "Vice President Ivanka Trump"...
Kamala Harris' Stepkids
Have a Fitting Name for Her
Aug 13, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
Kamala Harris' Stepkids Have a Fitting Name for Her
They call her 'momala'
- You'll now know her as Joe Biden's running mate—a role that could soon turn Kamala Harris into the first woman, first African American and first Asian American to claim the role of US vice president. To others, she's known as "Momala" and "Kamala Aunty....
New VP Buzz Centers
on a Familiar Name
Jul 28, 2020 7:19 AM CDT
New VP Buzz Centers on a Familiar Name
Susan Rice, former national security adviser, seen as a top contender
- Susan Rice is suddenly the topic of a
of speculation in Joe Biden's running mate sweepstakes. The 55-year-old worked with Biden in the Obama administration as national security adviser and as ambassador to the UN, but she was also was embroiled in the controversy over the attack on...
Jul 21, 2020 1:51 AM CDT
Biden: 4 Black Women on VP List
Vetting team is nearing the end of its process
- Joe Biden wouldn't commit to choosing a Black woman as his running mate, but while speaking to MSNBC's Joy Reid on Monday night, he did say four Black women are on the list of potential VP picks, with more possibly to come as his vetting team continues to...
Klobuchar Withdraws From
VP Consideration. Here's Why
Jun 19, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Klobuchar Withdraws From VP Consideration. Here's Why
She says Joe Biden should choose a woman of color
- Now is not the time for Amy Klobuchar to be the vice presidential candidate. That's why the senator from Minnesota has officially pulled her name from consideration as Joe Biden's running mate, NBC News reports. "America must seize on the moment and I truly believe—as I...
2 Rising Stars Suddenly
Seen as VP Contenders
Jun 8, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
2 Rising Stars Suddenly Seen as VP Contenders
Floyd protests raise prospects of Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and Rep. Val Demings
- The George Floyd protests are quickly changing the calculus of Joe Biden's VP pick. Politico reports that two black women once seen as longshots are now serious contenders: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and Florida Rep. Val Demings. Both have taken on large public roles during the protests. Demings,...
'Invasive' Process for VP
Vetting Has Apparently Begun
May 22, 2020 8:50 AM CDT
'Invasive' Process for VP Vetting Has Apparently Begun
Amy Klobuchar has reportedly been asked to consent to the scrutiny
- Joe Biden promised during a primary debate in March that he would pick a woman to be his running mate if he became the Democratic nominee for president. That "invasive" process—Biden's words—is reportedly about to begin in earnest. Sources tell CBS News that Minnesota Sen....
Apr 16, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Here's Why Joe Biden Should Pick Amy Klobuchar
For one thing, she's 'ideologically simpatico'
- Oddsmakers like Kamala Harris . Elizabeth Warren has made clear she'd be open to a spot on the ticket. But at the
, David Byler lays out the case for Amy Klobuchar to be Joe Biden's pick for vice president. Yes, an all-white ticket isn't ideal in...
Here's What Hillary
Has to Say About
Feb 6, 2020 11:27 AM CST
Here's What Hillary Has to Say About VP Possibility
'Never say never,' but she tells Ellen DeGeneres she doesn't think it's going to happen
- Hillary Clinton has long flirted with the speculation that she might jump into the 2020 race for president, but with the primaries officially underway, that speculation seems likely to end. But what about vice president? "I never say never, because I do believe in serving my country. But it'...
Biden Floats a
Possible Running Mate
Dec 5, 2019 7:35 AM CST
Biden Floats a Possible Running Mate
He's open to the idea of Kamala Harris
- Joe Biden was asked on Wednesday whether he'd consider picking Kamala Harris as his running mate. "Of course I would," he told reporters. Politico suggests it might be more than a press-friendly reply. It reports he publicly praised Harris on Tuesday and Wednesday, and his words on...
Pick a VP by
Sep 7, 2016 3:27 PM CDT
It's Apparently Possible to Pick a VP by Accident
Best of luck to Evan McMullin and running mate 'Nathan Johnson,' whoever he is
- Accidentally picking a running mate isn't a great look for a candidate already struggling to be taken seriously, but that's exactly what's happened to presidential hopeful Evan McMullin, Politico reports. Since launching his campaign last month, the conservative independent has qualified for the ballot in nine states....
Mike Pence: 'Trump Gets It'
Jul 20, 2016 10:38 PM CDT
Mike Pence: 'Trump Gets It'
He accepts 'awesome privilege' of being running mate
- Introduced by Paul Ryan as a "man of solid character," Mike Pence accepted the "awesome privilege" of being the vice presidential nominee in front of an enthusiastic crowd at the RNC Wednesday night. Pence, who described himself as "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Fed-Up Rod Stewart Offers to Pay for People's Hospital Scans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.