Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Newborn Is Found,
Women Pulled From Planes
Nov 16, 2021 11:38 AM CST
After Newborn Is Found, Women Pulled From Planes
Female travelers suing Qatar after being subjected to invasive exams
- A group of Australian women is planning to sue the government of Qatar after they say they were removed from their plane, detained, and forced to undergo invasive medical checks to determine if they had recently given birth after an abandoned baby was found in a terminal bathroom at the...
Taliban Official Flees
Sep 2, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
Female Journalist Who Interviewed Taliban Official Flees
Beheshta Arghand says Taliban doesn't accept women as 'human'
- The first female Afghan journalist to interview a member of the Taliban says she's been forced to leave her country behind. Beheshta Arghand, formerly of TOLO News, fled Afghanistan as part of the US-led evacuation on Aug. 24 and is now in Qatar, per the
. Arghand had spoken...
In Just 90 Minutes, Hope for
Journos in Afghanistan
Aug 25, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
In Just 90 Minutes, Hope for
Journos in Afghanistan
The paper details the rapid help it got from Mexico
New York Times
on Wednesday reported that it managed to safely get a group of Afghans who worked for the paper and their relatives—24 families in all—out of Afghanistan in a "harrowing escape" that wasn't aided by the US government. Rather, the credit goes to...
From 10 Flights Had
'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Oct 28, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Australia: Women From 10 Flights Had 'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Qatar is apologizing after search for abandoned newborn went awry
- A baby was born and abandoned at an airport in Doha, Qatar, and now officials are apologizing over their controversial attempt to find the mother amid the revelation that there may have been more women involved than initially reported. After a newborn girl was found Oct. 2 in a trash...
on Earth, Empty Seats
Sep 30, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
Behind the Fastest Woman on Earth, Empty Seats
IAAF catching flak for turnout at track world championships in Doha
- The women's 100-meter final is called "one of the marquee events" of the world track championships taking place right now in Doha, Qatar, per the AP . Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce took gold in the event Sunday night, making her the fastest woman on Earth. At 32, she's the oldest...
A Big First for OPEC as
One Nation Pulls Out
Dec 3, 2018 6:51 AM CST
A Big First for OPEC as One Nation Pulls Out
Qatar will be leaving the oil cartel in January, the first time a Mideast nation has done so
- The tiny Arab nation of Qatar announced Monday it will withdraw from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, in January, mixing its aspirations to increase production outside of the cartel's constraints with the politics of slighting the Saudi-dominated group amid the kingdom's boycott of Doha....
'Gambling Mecca' Is About to
Become Richest Place on Earth
Aug 10, 2018 7:08 AM CDT
'Gambling Mecca' Is About to Become Richest Place on Earth
Macau is set to surpass Qatar, per a new IMF ranking
- A "gambling mecca" is set to oust Qatar as the richest place on Earth, per the International Monetary Fund's newest stats. Bloomberg reports that the IMF's World Economic Outlook database has pegged Macau as the planet's wealthiest place, with its economy on track to reach the...
At Dec. 2016
May 17, 2018 8:15 AM CDT
At Dec. 2016 Meeting, an Alleged $1M Overture
Ex-Qatari delegate Ahmed al-Rumaihi says Michael Cohen offered him access to Trump
- Michael Cohen seems to have kept busy after the election as a "Trump whisperer," and new developments out of the Mideast offer further revelations on his apparent attempts to cash in. Sources tell the
that in the days before a Dec. 12, 2016, Trump Tower meeting...
Report: Mueller Witness Sent
$2.5M to Trump Fundraiser
Mar 26, 2018 4:06 AM CDT
Report: Mueller Witness Sent $2.5M to Trump Fundraiser
Sources say George Nader secretly backed anti-Qatar agenda
- A top fundraiser for President Trump received millions of dollars from a political adviser to the United Arab Emirates last April, just weeks before he began handing out a series of large political donations to US lawmakers considering legislation targeting Qatar, the UAE's chief rival in the Persian Gulf,...
Qatari Royal Says He's a
'Prisoner' of Abu Dhabi Prince
Jan 14, 2018 4:00 PM CST
Qatari Royal Says He's a 'Prisoner' of Abu Dhabi Prince
Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali al-Thani made the claim in a YouTube video.
- A member of the Qatari royal family says he's being held prisoner in the United Arab Emirates by Abu Dhabi's crown prince. Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali al-Thani made the claim in a YouTube video released by Emirates news site UAE 71 on Sunday. "I'm currently in...
Don't Discount Kushner's
Mideast Peace Push Just Yet
Aug 25, 2017 8:49 AM CDT
Don't Discount Kushner's Mideast Peace Push Just Yet
David Ignatius writes that the prospects for Israeli-Arab cooperation aren't so bad
- Jared Kushner continued his long-shot quest for Mideast peace on Thursday in meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders, but as the AP account of the sessions notes, expectations are low and skepticism high. As they probably should be, writes David Ignatius in the
. Still, he finds a kernel...
Report: UAE Hackers
Sparked Qatar Crisis
Jul 17, 2017 4:01 AM CDT
Report: UAE Hackers Sparked Qatar Crisis
Sources say country was behind media hack
- The United Arab Emirates was behind the hacking of Qatari websites that caused major upheaval in the region, according to a bombshell
report. Citing US intelligence sources, the
reports that the UAE orchestrated the posting of incendiary false quotes from Qatar's emir about Iran, Israel, Hamas,...
Qatar Conflict Highlights
Vulnerability of Helium Supply
Jul 10, 2017 3:52 PM CDT
Qatar Conflict Highlights Vulnerability of Helium Supply
Shortages affect industries ranging from rocketry to medicine
- The conflict brewing in the Middle East between Qatar and neighboring countries has had an odd consequence: a sudden drop in global helium availability. The
reports Qatar manufactures 25% of the world’s helium supply, making it the second largest producer after the US. But a shipping issue has...
Jul 3, 2017 12:40 AM CDT
Qatar Warns Neighbors as Deadline Is Extended
'We stand ready to defend our country'
- Arab nations extended a deadline early Monday for Qatar to respond to their list of demands in a diplomatic crisis roiling the Gulf, saying Kuwait's emir requested the delay as part of his efforts to mediate the dispute. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, and Bahrain cut off...
Neighbors Order Qatar
to Shut Down al-Jazeera
Jun 23, 2017 12:10 AM CDT
Neighbors Order Qatar to Shut Down al-Jazeera
Closing broadcaster is among newly issued demands
- Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries that have cut ties to Qatar issued a steep list of demands Thursday to end the crisis, insisting that their Persian Gulf neighbor shutter broadcaster al-Jazeera, cut back diplomatic ties to Iran, and sever all ties with the Muslim Brotherhood. In a 13-point list—...
Trump Had Another Win
This Week: Saudi Arabia
Jun 22, 2017 10:53 AM CDT
Trump Had Another Win This Week: Saudi Arabia
New crown prince is a key ally of the new administration
- Quick, name a candidate favored by President Trump who scored a victory this week. Sure, Karen Handel in Georgia and Ralph Norman in South Carolina come to mind, but the
New York Times
points out another: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia. It wasn't an election, of...
Saudi Media Accuses Qatar
of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees
Jun 13, 2017 4:16 PM CDT
Saudi Media Accuses Qatar of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees
Hundreds hit by food poisoning at Iraq camp for the displaced
- Food poisoning at a camp for displaced residents of Mosul has made more than 700 people sick, with hundreds hospitalized, Iraqi officials said Tuesday. The incident at the Hassan Sham U2 camp, about 13 miles east of Mosul, has become part of the ongoing dispute between Saudi Arabia and Qatar....
Jun 10, 2017 7:59 AM CDT
Trump, Tillerson Deliver Different Messages on Qatar
President talks tough as secretary of state asks Arab nations to ease up
- President Trump delivered a sharp message to Qatar to halt funding terrorism—an order that appeared to undermine his own secretary of state, the
reports. Trump told reporters Friday that Mideast leaders had complained to him about Qatar, which he said has "historically been a funder of...
ISIS Makes Powerful
Statement With Iran Attack
Jun 7, 2017 2:09 PM CDT
ISIS Makes Powerful Statement With Iran Attack
It's the first time the group has struck against its coveted target of Iran
- The Islamic State may have claimed responsibility for Wednesday's twin terror attacks in Tehran that killed 12, but Iran has a different culprit in mind: regional rival Saudi Arabia. "This terrorist attack happened only a week after the meeting between the US president and the (Saudi) backward leaders...
May Make Things
Harder for US
Military in Qatar
Jun 6, 2017 5:11 PM CDT
Trump's Tweets May Make Things Harder for US Military in Qatar
President takes credit for Saudi Arabia cutting ties with important US ally
- On Monday, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Yemen, Bahrain, and Egypt cut all commercial and diplomatic ties with Qatar in order to isolate the country over its support for extremist groups, the
New York Times
reports. In a series of tweets Tuesday morning, President Trump took credit for that decision, saying...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.