Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate
Price' for Mom's Addiction
Sep 26, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Leticia Gonzales of Michigan to serve up to 5 years for DUI crash that killed her young sons
- A western Michigan woman was sentenced to up to five years in prison Monday for a crash in which her three young sons drowned after her SUV plunged into an ice-covered pond, per the AP . Leticia Gonzales, 31, had pleaded no contest in August to operating while intoxicated causing serious...
Crowd-Surfed, Then Got a DWI
Oct 12, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
School Superintendent Crowd-Surfed, Then Got a DWI
James Thomson was spotted flying high at NY high school football game before his arrest
- When you're the superintendent of a school district, it's perfectly fine to attend school events and show enthusiasm—but maybe not
much enthusiasm. Jason D. Thomson may be reflecting upon that after a weekend that kicked off with his attendance at Baker High School's football game...
Speaks Out on
of My Life'
Aug 20, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Hope Solo Speaks Out on 'Worst Night of My Life'
Retired soccer goalkeeper says drinking that led to DUI spurred partly from postpartum depression
- Nearly a month after pleading guilty to charges of driving while impaired in North Carolina in late March, while her twin toddlers were in the car, Hope Solo is talking publicly about what happened. Making an appearance this week on her
Hope Solo Speaks
podcast , the 41-year-old former soccer goalkeeper...
Jul 26, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Hope Solo Pleads Guilty
Gets 30 days, fine in DWI case
Hope Solo on Monday pleaded guilty to driving while impaired and was sentenced to 30 days, with 30 days' credit given for the time she spent in an inpatient rehab facility . She was also hit with $3,100 in fees and fines and ordered to complete all recommended substance...
Student Pilot Runs Out of Fuel,
Lands on Highway
Jul 17, 2022 9:59 AM CDT
Student Pilot Runs Out of Fuel, Lands on Highway
And is then charged with DWI in Missouri
- That somebody hit a guardrail on Interstate 70 in Missouri and then was charged with DWI wouldn't typically make national headlines. But in this case, the circumstances are a little unusual—it wasn't a car involved but a small plane, reports NBC News . The state Highway Patrol says...
Solo to Go for Treatment,
Asks for Hall of Fame Delay
Apr 30, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Solo to Go for Treatment, Asks for Hall of Fame Delay
'My energies and focus are totally directed to my health, healing, and taking care of my family'
Hope Solo has asked the National Soccer Hall of Fame to delay her induction until next year, announcing that she's going for help for her alcohol issues, per ESPN . In a Friday tweet , the soccer star requested the induction be postponed until 2023, noting she'll be "...
3 Drunken Drivers Found
Each Other: Police
Feb 28, 2021 12:40 PM CST
3 Drunken Drivers Found Each Other: Police
Crashes began with a truck going the wrong way
- Authorities say three drunken drivers were involved in a crash early Sunday morning in a south Milwaukee suburb. The incident happened shortly before 3am when a man driving a Ford F-250 pickup truck the wrong way on a four-lane highway in Mount Pleasant collided head-on with a motorist in a...
Feb 24, 2021 12:12 PM CST
Springsteen DWI Charge Dropped
He was fined $540 for drinking in federal park
- Bruce Springsteen has pleaded guilty to drinking illegally in a federal park—but charges of DWI and reckless driving have been dismissed. At a virtual hearing Wednesday, prosecutors said they couldn't meet the burden of proof for drunk driving over the November incident at Sandy Hook federal park in...
Feb 11, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Springsteen Wouldn't Take Breath Test, Officer Says
Court filing reports the smell of alcohol and an empty tequila bottle
- Bruce Springsteen told a park officer he had done two shots of alcohol in the previous 20 minutes but wouldn't take a breath test before he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving in New Jersey in November, according to a document filed Thursday in federal court. The officer...
Cops: It Wasn't
Smell of Booze
That Gave Drunk
Feb 15, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Cops: It Wasn't Smell of Booze That Gave Drunk Driver Away
Police in Germany say they found man suspected of DUI thanks to 'cloud of perfume'
- He just didn't smell right. German police say they nabbed a drunk driver who tried to flee a traffic stop after finding him hiding behind a hedge "in a cloud of perfume," per the AP . Police in the southwestern town of Speyer said Saturday that officers saw...
Pol's Alleged Words
After Arrest: 'You Know
How Women Drive'
Jan 9, 2020 7:33 AM CST
Pol's Alleged Words After Arrest: 'You Know How Women Drive'
Tow truck driver says lawmaker Brian Kolb tried to blame crash on wife
- A New York state lawmaker arrested after a New Year's Eve car accident and accused of driving while intoxicated tried to pin the blame on his wife, according to the tow truck driver who came to assist. The AAA driver, who the
New York Post
notes didn't ID...
Lawmaker Tweets About DUI,
Is Arrested Days Later
Jan 2, 2020 12:23 PM CST
Lawmaker Tweets About DUI, Is Arrested Days Later
Brian Kolb allegedly drove while intoxicated on his way home New Year's Eve
- On Dec. 24, New York Assemblyman Brian Kolb published an op-ed about the dangers of driving drunk. On Dec. 26, he tweeted, "There is no excuse for driving impaired this holiday season." That tweet has since been deleted, perhaps not surprisingly, because on Dec. 31, Kolb was arrested...
Woman Charged With DUI.
So Is the Driver She Called
May 24, 2019 2:35 PM CDT
Woman Charged With DUI. So Is the Driver She Called
Both were released to a third driver
- Authorities say a man drove drunk to a New Jersey police station where he was picking up a woman who had been charged with drunken driving. Hackettstown police say 21-year-old Morgan Doran, of Netcong, was arrested early Friday after a traffic stop, the AP reports. She was taken to the...
Big Name in Racing Charged
With Drunk Driving
May 20, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Big Name in Racing Charged With Drunk Driving
Al Unser Jr. won Indy 500 twice, but he has long battled alcohol problems
- A big name in auto racing is making headlines for the wrong reasons. Two-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser Jr. was charged with drunk driving early Monday, reports the
. Unser, 57, is now retired from racing, but he won the Indy 500 in 1992 and 1994 and competed...
'Trivago Guy' Charged With
Driving While Intoxicated
Apr 12, 2019 1:13 AM CDT
'Trivago Guy' Charged With Driving While Intoxicated
Cops say he was passed out behind wheel
- Travel website Trivago might be looking for a new pitchman: Actor Tim Williams, who appeared as the rumpled "Trivago Guy" in numerous ads for the company, was arrested in Houston this week and charged with driving while intoxicated. Police say the 52-year-old failed a field sobriety test after officers...
Cops: Driver Crashed Car
While Trying to Avoid 'Octopus'
Feb 6, 2019 10:35 AM CST
Cops: Driver Crashed Car While Trying to Avoid 'Octopus'
Not a great defense when you're 3 miles inland
- A UK driver whose vehicle landed upside down in a ditch swerved "to avoid an octopus" on the road—or so police say he claimed. The 49-year-old, who escaped major injury, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs on Tuesday after police found no sign...
He Almost Killed Her.
Now They're Teaming Up
Jan 15, 2019 10:45 AM CST
He Almost Killed Her. Now They're Teaming Up
Tina Adams, impaired driver to speak together at Canadian schools
- Tina Adams will never realize her dream of becoming a police officer, and she might never be able to have children. Such are the consequences of the moment a drunk driver swerved off a road and struck the Quebec jogger in June 2015. Adams, now 24, suffered a traumatic brain...
NJ Ruling Means
20K DWI Cases
Could Be Tossed
Nov 14, 2018 1:03 AM CST
NJ Ruling Means 20K DWI Cases Could Be Tossed
Officer allegedly failed to calibrate blood-testing machines
- A lot of drunk drivers in New Jersey could end up getting away with it because one police officer allegedly failed to do his job properly. The state's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that some 20,667 people accused of drunk driving could have their cases tossed because of Sgt....
NASCAR CEO Charged With
DWI, Possession in Hamptons
Aug 6, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
NASCAR CEO Charged With DWI, Possession in Hamptons
Brian France was arrested Sunday night
- NASCAR CEO and chairman Brian France spent Monday morning being arraigned in the Hamptons after being pulled over Sunday night in Sag Harbor Village and allegedly found to be under the influence and in possession of oxycodone pills. ESPN reports he was charged with aggravated DWI and criminal possession, and...
Young Driver Kills 2; Her
Bartender Is Charged, Too
Apr 5, 2018 5:11 PM CDT
Young Driver Kills 2; Her Bartender Is Charged, Too
20-year-old killed woman, child while allegedly driving drunk
- It wasn't surprising that police charged a 20-year-old Texas woman after she killed a mother and infant while allegedly driving drunk. More surprising is that authorities also have charged the bartender who allegedly served her before the crash, along with two men accused of buying her drinks, reports ABC13...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.