Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sarver to Sell Teams, Blames
Sep 21, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Sarver to Sell Teams, Blames 'Unforgiving Environment'
He has started process of selling Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury
- Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury owner Robert Sarver will soon be known as "former owner." Sarver on Wednesday announced that he was starting the process of selling both teams in the wake of what CNBC calls the NBA's "damning" report on bullying and racist and misogynistic...
NBA Hands Big Penalty
to Owner After Investigation
Sep 13, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
NBA Hands Big Penalty to Owner After Investigation
Robert Sarver of Phoenix Suns accused of racist, misogynistic behavior
- The NBA has suspended Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury owner Robert Sarver for one year and fined him $10 million after an investigation found that he had engaged in what the league called "workplace misconduct and organizational deficiencies," per the AP . The findings of the league's report...
Sentenced in Russia
Aug 4, 2022 10:13 AM CDT
Brittney Griner Sentenced in Russia
WNBA star gets 9 years after being found guilty on drug charges
Updated with new details throughout.
Brittney Griner has been convicted on drug possession charges in Russia and sentenced to nine years in prison, reports the AP . Before the verdict, an emotional Griner apologized Thursday for her actions, with a prosecutor urging that the American basketball star be convicted and sentenced...
Show Court a
Jul 15, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Griner's Lawyers Show Court a Doctor's Note
In letter, doctor recommended WNBA star use medical cannabis for pain
- Brittney Griner's trial resumed in Khimki, Russia, on Friday, and a key defense argument tied her apparent use of vape cartridges to her health. Reuters reports that in the fourth hearing for the WNBA star, her lawyers told the court that Griner had been authorized to use medical cannabis...
Griner Pleads Guilty,
Says She Packed in a Rush
Jul 7, 2022 9:27 AM CDT
Griner Pleads Guilty, Says She Packed in a Rush
WNBA star admits to drug charges in Russian court
- Russian news agencies say jailed American basketball star Brittney Griner has pleaded guilty to drug possession and smuggling charges during her trial in Moscow, per the AP . Griner, speaking through an interpreter, told the court she'd acted unintentionally because she was packing in haste. Griner was detained in February...
As Brittney Griner Trial Starts,
Acquittal Looks Like a 'Fantasy'
Jul 1, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
As Brittney Griner Trial Starts, Acquittal Looks Like a 'Fantasy'
Some experts think Russian proceedings will be for show only, with a near-certain conviction
- The trial of WNBA star Brittney Griner starts Friday in Russia, and the odds don't look good that she'll be set free at its conclusion. The 31-year-old WNBA star, arrested in February at a Moscow airport and accused of having cannabis oil in her bags, has been held...
Handcuffed Brittney Griner
Appears in Russian Court
Jun 27, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Handcuffed Brittney Griner Appears in Russian Court
WNBA star's trial is to start July 1 amid speculation of a possible prisoner swap
- More than four months after she was arrested at a Moscow airport for alleged cannabis possession, a Russian court set a trial start date of July 1 for US basketball star Brittney Griner. The Phoenix Mercury star was also ordered on Monday to remain in custody for the duration of...
May 3, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
US Changes Status of WNBA Star's Detention
White House deems Brittney Griner wrongfully detained in Russia
- The Biden administration has determined that WNBA star Brittney Griner is being wrongfully detained in Russia and will aggressively work to secure her release, two US officials told the AP , speaking on the condition of anonymity. The new classification means her case will be handled by the US Special Presidential...
Mar 17, 2022 11:14 AM CDT
First Footage of Detained WNBA Star Surfaces
Russia extends detention of Brittney Griner until at least May 19
- For WNBA star Brittney Griner, there will be no quick release from Russia . A court in Moscow on Thursday extended her detention until May 19 as an investigation into drug charges against her continue, reports CNN . The 31-year-old, who plays in Russia during the WBNA offseason, was arrested at a...
Out of Russia
Won't Be Easy
Mar 8, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Getting Brittney Griner Out of Russia Won't Be Easy
WNBA star is in custody, was one of dozens of players who also compete overseas
- News emerged over the weekend that Russia had arrested WNBA star Brittney Griner and was holding her on drug charges. Now, big questions linger over her fate, all of which are complicated by Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Coverage:
Griner, an All-Star player with Phoenix in the WNBA,
Russia: We Have
WNBA Star in Custody
Mar 5, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Russia: We Have WNBA Star in Custody
Phoenix Mercury's Brittney Griner was reportedly detained last month for having 'vapes'
- Russia says it arrested an American WNBA star last month on drug charges, and a law enforcement official who spoke to the Russian news agency Tass says it's the Phoenix Mercury's Brittney Griner. Per an Interfax release , the nation's Federal Customs Service says that in February, a...
Basketball Star Pulls Out of
Olympics, Cites Mental Health
Jul 16, 2021 12:07 PM CDT
Basketball Star Pulls Out of Olympics, Cites Mental Health
Australia's Liz Cambage says the Tokyo Games are 'terrifying' for her
- The Olympics haven't started yet, but Australia is already down one player on its women's basketball team.
reports that Liz Cambage, a center who plays for the WNBA's Las Vegas Aces, has pulled out of the Games, just a week before the opening ceremony. Her...
WNBA Star Marries
Man She Helped Free
After Wrongful Conviction
Sep 17, 2020 4:44 AM CDT
WNBA Star Marries Man She Helped Free After Wrongful Conviction
Maya Moore, Jonathan Irons get their happily ever after
- Basketball star Maya Moore has married Jonathan Irons, the Missouri man she helped work to free from prison after a 22-year-old wrongful conviction, the AP reports. Moore, 31, and Irons, 40, appeared together on
Good Morning America
Wednesday to discuss their social justice efforts—and their relationship. Moore revealed that...
Game Boycott Swells in
Wake of Jacob Blake Shooting
Aug 27, 2020 12:20 AM CDT
Game Boycott Swells in Wake of Jacob Blake Shooting
The Milwaukee Bucks don't stand alone
- The NBA is not standing alone against the police shooting of Jacob Blake. After the Milwaukee Bucks boycotted its Wednesday playoff game and the league ultimately postponed that and two other games, three WNBA games, five Major League Soccer games, and three Major League Baseball games originally planned for Wednesday...
Players on Senator's WNBA
Team Back Her Opponent
Aug 5, 2020 10:17 AM CDT
Players on Senator's WNBA Team Back Her Opponent
Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler does not support BLM
- With t-shirts reading "Vote Warnock," players across the WNBA came out against Atlanta Dream co-owner and GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler before their games on Tuesday—including members of Loeffler's own team. It was the latest show of opposition to Loeffler, who faces Democratic challenger Rev. Raphael Warnock...
Court Empties After Teams
Honor Breonna Taylor
Jul 26, 2020 9:39 AM CDT
Court Empties After Teams Honor Breonna Taylor
WNBA players dedicate season to victim, then leave for national anthem
- The WNBA and its players have announced that they're playing this season for the Louisville woman shot to death by police in March. "We are dedicating this season to Breonna Taylor, an outstanding EMT who was murdered over 130 days ago in her home," said Layshia Clarendon...
Judge Agrees With
Star Who Sat Out
Mar 9, 2020 7:30 PM CDT
Judge Agrees With Star Who Sat Out for Justice
Court throws out 1997 convictions of Maya Moore's family friend
- Maya Moore has always been known for hitting the big shot on the grandest stage. She just got the biggest assist of her career. A judge on Monday overturned the 1997 burglary and assault convictions of Jonathon Irons, a Missouri man whose case has been championed by the WNBA star...
Locker Room Rant Brings Firing
Oct 4, 2019 5:10 PM CDT
Locker Room Rant Brings Firing
Sparks GM Penny Toler's speech included obscenities, racial epithets
- Penny Toler, GM of the Los Angeles Sparks, has lost her job after giving her team a locker room speech laden with obscenities and racial epithets during the playoffs last month. Toler hadn't disputed her use of the terms, but had said , "By no means did I call...
Locker Room Speech
Draws League Scrutiny
Oct 3, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Locker Room Speech Draws League Scrutiny
Penny Toler says comments weren't aimed at any individual
- The Los Angeles Sparks had a fine season, winning the Western Conference title. But they were swept in the playoff semifinals, ending their WNBA season with an ugly, 26-point loss in Game 3 in Connecticut. The ugliness appears to have begun after the team's loss in Game 2, on...
One of the Best Women's
Basketball Players Ever Is Dead
Jun 14, 2018 7:14 AM CDT
One of the Best Women's Basketball Players Ever Is Dead
Anne Donovan dies of heart failure at 56
- To many in the world of women's basketball, Anne Donovan was a giant. And not just because she stood 6-foot-8. She won a national championship at Old Dominion, two Olympic gold medals as a player, and another as a coach in her storied career. The 56-year-old Hall of Famer...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.