Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit: Boy, 13, Was Surrendering
When Chicago Cops Shot Him
May 27, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Suit: Boy, 13, Was Surrendering When Chicago Cops Shot Him
Family has sued over May 18 incident, which may leave the teen permanently paralyzed
- A 13-year-old boy shot in the back by a Chicago police officer on May 18 was unarmed and had his arms raised to surrender when he was hit by the bullet, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday. The bullet severely damaged part of the Black teenager’s spine, possibly rendering...
Ex-Cop Charged With
Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
May 2, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Charged With Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
DA says Edsaul Mendoza shot TJ Siderio in the back at near-point blank range
: A former Philadelphia police officer who was fired after the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old in March has been charged with murder. Prosecutors say the shot that killed Thomas "TJ" Siderio was fired from near-point blank range while the boy was unarmed and "essentially face down on...
a Powerful Bullet'
Killed Patrick Lyoya
Apr 19, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
'No Question a Powerful Bullet' Killed Patrick Lyoya
Family releases results of independent autopsy after Grand Rapids, Michigan, shooting
- The family of a Michigan Black man who was shot dead by police on April 4 says an independent autopsy confirms a bullet to the back of the head killed Patrick Lyoya. The AP reports that syncs with the footage released by the police chief of Grand Rapids, where the...
$4.8M Settlement Reached
Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Apr 4, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
$4.8M Settlement Reached Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Julian Lewis was killed by a Georgia state trooper
The family of a Black man fatally shot by a Georgia state trooper in 2020 will receive a $4.8 million settlement from the state. A lawyer for Julian Lewis' family says the settlement was reached last month before a lawsuit was filed, the
New York Times
No Charges for Officer
Who Shot Ma'Khia Bryant
Mar 12, 2022 6:30 AM CST
No Charges for Officer Who Shot Ma'Khia Bryant
No probable cause found for Columbus, Ohio, cop Nicholas Reardon in 16-year-old's death
A grand jury won't be bringing charges against a white police officer in Columbus, Ohio, who fatally shot a 16-year-old Black girl last year. The Franklin County Prosecutor's Office and the state's Fraternal Order of Police say that the grand jury didn't find probable cause...
Police: 2 Cops Shot
at Hot Dog Stand
Mar 4, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Police: 2 Cops Shot at Hot Dog Stand
Injuries are not life-threatening in Chicago incident
- Two Chicago police officers were shot and wounded early Friday by a gunman who dropped a handgun while waiting in line at a restaurant with one of the officers, picked it up, and opened fire, police said. The suspected gunman was captured nearby and the officers were taken to a...
5 Officers Shot, 4 More
Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
Feb 11, 2022 2:54 PM CST
5 Officers Shot, 4 More Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
All are expected to survive in Phoenix; gunman is dead, a woman is critically injured
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
A man ambushed a police officer who responded to a call at a Phoenix home early Friday, shooting him several times, then rained more gunfire on other officers who tried to rescue a baby that was placed outside the door....
9 Officers Open Fire on Man
Standing Along Highway
Jan 29, 2022 3:40 PM CST
9 Officers Open Fire on Man Standing Along Highway
Police say Landon Eastep pulled out something they feared was a weapon
- Negotiations to try to coax a man with mental issues off the shoulder of an interstate in Tennessee ended with nine officers opening fire. Landon Eastep, 37, was killed Thursday after he pulled a "shiny cylindrical object" from his pocket while standing along Interstate 65, said police, who added...
Man Who Killed Rookie
NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jan 25, 2022 12:51 AM CST
Man Who Killed Rookie NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jason Rivera, 22, killed while responding to domestic incident; another officer critically hurt
The man who shot and killed an NYPD officer Friday has died. The suspect, Lashawn McNeil, was shot during the incident by one of the three NYPD officers who responded to a domestic violence call in Harlem, and McNeil died of his injuries Monday, the AP reports. The third...
3 Cops Face Charges in
Shooting of 8-Year-Old Girl
Jan 18, 2022 6:50 PM CST
3 Cops Face Charges in Shooting of 8-Year-Old Girl
DA says police bullet killed Fanta Bility
- Three Pennsylvania police officers have been charged in connection with the death of an 8-year-old girl who was fatally shot outside a high school football game five months ago. Delaware County District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer announced Tuesday that Sharon Hill officers Devon Smith, Sean Dolan, and Brian Devaney face counts...
Widow Says Cop Shot Man Who
Fired Gun to Celebrate NYE
Jan 5, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Widow Says Cop Shot Man Who Fired Gun to Celebrate NYE
She says celebratory gunfire is a tradition in their Ohio neighborhood
- Marquetta Williams says it is a tradition in her Canton, Ohio neighborhood to fire guns in the air at New Year's Eve—but this year, her husband's celebratory gunfire was answered with police bullets. The widow says 46-year-old James Williams was killed when an officer opened fire without...
Prosecutor: Cop Begged for
Her Life Before Being Murdered
Jan 5, 2022 1:30 PM CST
Prosecutor: Cop Begged for Her Life Before Being Murdered
Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic is dead, Officer Tyler Bailey is fighting for his life
- Two Illinois police officers responded to a report of dogs barking in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Bradley. It was a call that left Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic begging for her life before being killed with her own gun, say prosecutors, who are asking federal...
2 Suspects in Custody After
Cop Killed in Motel Shooting
Jan 1, 2022 7:30 AM CST
2 Suspects in Custody After Cop Killed in Motel Shooting
Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic, 49, had been responding to call about barking dogs in Ill.; partner critically hurt
- Two suspects in an Illinois motel shooting that left one Bradley police officer dead and another wounded are now in custody. WLS reports that Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic, 49, was shot and killed Wednesday night at a Kankakee County Comfort Inn, while her partner, 27-year-old Tyler Bailey, was left critically wounded....
LAPD Officer Who
Shot, Killed Teen
Dec 30, 2021 12:23 AM CST
LAPD Officer Who Shot, Killed Teen Girl Identified
Though the department hasn't formally IDed him
The Los Angeles Police Department officer who fired on an assault suspect at a North Hollywood department store and accidentally killed a 14-year-old girl has been identified. Two sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
that William Dorsey Jones Jr., who is currently on paid leave, is the officer. Journalist...
Former Officer Kim Potter
Guilty of Manslaughter
Dec 23, 2021 1:43 PM CST
Former Officer Kim Potter Guilty of Manslaughter
She fatally shot Daunte Wright, faces about 7 years in prison on most serious count
- Jurors on Thursday convicted a suburban Minneapolis police officer of two manslaughter charges in the killing of Daunte Wright, a Black motorist she shot during a traffic stop after she said she confused her gun for her Taser, per the AP . The mostly white jury deliberated for about four days...
Man Set on Fire by
Police Stun Gun Dies
Dec 17, 2021 4:20 AM CST
Man Set on Fire by Police Stun Gun Dies
Police say Catskill man Jason Jones had doused himself with hand sanitizer
- An upstate New York man has died almost seven weeks after he burst in flames when police shot him with a stun gun. Police say Jason Jones, 29, became belligerent with officers and doused himself in flammable hand sanitizer after he walked into the Catskill Police Station around 1:30am...
Prosecutor: Kim Potter
'Failed' Daunte Wright
Dec 9, 2021 4:22 AM CST
Prosecutor: Kim Potter 'Failed' Daunte Wright
Manslaughter trial began Wednesday
- A suburban Minneapolis police officer who said she mistakenly drew her gun instead of her Taser when she fatally shot Black motorist Daunte Wright went on trial on manslaughter charges Wednesday, with a prosecutor saying Kim Potter had been trained how to avoid such deadly mix-ups but still got it...
Deputy Charged With Murder
in Fatal Shooting of Black Man
Dec 2, 2021 12:40 PM CST
Deputy Charged With Murder in Fatal Shooting of Black Man
Casey Goodson was shot multiple times in the back in Columbus
A sheriff's deputy in Ohio has been charged with murder over the fatal shooting of 23-year-old Casey Goodson last year, reports ABC6 in Columbus. Deputy Jason Meade, who has since retired, is white, and Goodson was Black. Meade shot Goodson five times in the back during an unsuccessful...
Cop Fatally Shoots Man in
Motorized Scooter From Behind
Dec 1, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Cop Fatally Shoots Man in Motorized Scooter From Behind
Police chief says Officer Ryan Remington will be fired
- The Tucson Police Department has swiftly distanced itself from an officer who shot dead a man in a motorized wheelchair. Police Chief Chris Magnus said on Tuesday he was "deeply disturbed and troubled" by what transpired on Monday night: Officer Ryan Remington responded to a report of a man...
No Charges for Cop Who
Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Nov 9, 2021 6:17 AM CST
No Charges for Cop Who Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Johnny Hurley stopped a cop killer before dying at the hands of another cop
There won't be any charges filed against the Colorado police officer who killed Johnny Hurley in June. Hurley had managed to stop active shooter Ronald Troyke moments after Troyke killed a cop by shooting him dead; he had Troyke's rifle in hand when Arvada Officer Kraig Brownlow...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.