Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Least 2K Cattle Die
When Kansas Heat Spikes
Jun 17, 2022 12:07 AM CDT
At Least 2K Cattle Die When Kansas Heat Spikes
'This is a one in 10-year, 20-year type event'
- Thousands of cattle in feedlots in southwestern Kansas have died of heat stress due to soaring temperatures, high humidity, and little wind in recent days, industry officials said. The final toll remains unclear, but as of Thursday at least 2,000 heat-related deaths had been reported to the Kansas Department...
Husband Charged With
Murder of Former Soccer Star
May 19, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Husband Charged With Murder of Former Soccer Star
University of Kansas mourns Regan Gibbs
- The husband of former Universty of Kansas soccer star Regan Gibbs was arrested after he called 911 and her body was found in their Lawrence apartment. The Lawrence Police Department says Chad Marek, 26, was arrested at the scene and "domestic violence is being investigated as a contributing factor,...
Another Woman Who Fled
With Inmate Explains Mindset
May 6, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Another Woman Who Fled With Inmate Explains Mindset
Toby Dorr spent 12 days on the run with Kansas prisoner in 2006
- Toby Dorr thinks she has a pretty good understanding of why jail supervisor Vicky White might have gone on the run with an inmate in an Alabama county lockup. Authorities are searching for White and inmate Casey White, who are not related, after they fled last Friday. "People were...
Friday Night Twister
Slams Into Wichita
Apr 30, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Friday Night Twister Slams Into Wichita
And other parts of Kansas, where some homes were 'completely blown away' by twister
- A tornado that barreled through parts of Kansas damaged multiple buildings, injured several people, and left more than 6,500 people without power, officials said Saturday. Officials said the twister moved through parts of southeast Wichita and Andover on Friday evening, per the AP . Andover Fire Chief Chad Russell said...
Man Sues for $93M
Mar 19, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Wrongfully Imprisoned Man Sues for $93M
Lamonte McIntyre, whose mother says detective coerced her into sex, served 23 years
- A Kansas man who served 23 years in prison for a double murder he did not commit is seeking $93 million in damages from the county where he was convicted and a former detective he says framed him. Lamonte McIntyre, 45, and his mother allege in a lawsuit filed in...
Body of Missing Girl
in Kentucky Is Discovered
Feb 21, 2022 8:12 AM CST
Body of Missing Girl in Kentucky Is Discovered
Mother, boyfriend charged in death of 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney
A sad end to the long search for 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney in Kentucky—authorities have found her body in a wooded area, reports WAVE . Serenity was last seen alive on Christmas Eve of 2020. Her mother, 21-year-old Catherine McKinney of Shepherdsville, and her mother's boyfriend, 26-year-old Dakota...
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
Kansas Man Charged
With Threats Against Biden
Jan 29, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Kansas Man Charged With Threats Against Biden
Accused was 'coming for' president, authorities say
- A Kansas man has been accused of threatening to visit the White House to kill President Biden, reports the Daily Beast . Scott Ryan Merryman is charged with interstate communication containing a threat to harm and threats against the president of the United States, according to a criminal complaint filed by...
DA Won't File Charges in
Teen's Death in Custody
Jan 19, 2022 1:35 PM CST
DA Won't File Charges in Teen's Death in Custody
Kansas DA cites Stand Your Ground law in Cedric Lofton case
: No charges will be filed in the death of 17-year-old Cedric Lofton at a juvenile center in Kansas in September, a district attorney said Wednesday, citing the state's Stand Your Ground law. Sedgwick County DA Marc Bennett said detention center employees who shackled the teen and left him...
Woman Marks 100th Birthday
With Her Centenarian Sisters
Dec 6, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Woman Marks 100th Birthday With Her Centenarian Sisters
Lucy Pochop, 102, and Julia Kopriva, 104, helped little sister Frances Kompus celebrate her big day
- Is there something in the water in Kansas? On Nov. 11, Frances Kompus marked her 100th birthday, celebrating with about 50 others at a party in Atwood. Also attending her centenarian soiree: her sisters Lucy Pochop, who turned 102 in June, and Julia Kopriva, who reached her 104th birthday in...
Calls to Resign
After 2 Arrests
Nov 29, 2021 11:20 AM CST
Calls to Resign for Young Lawmaker After 2 Arrests
Democratic Kan. state Rep. Aaron Coleman busted for drunk driving after past domestic-battery arrest
- A 21-year-old embattled Kansas lawmaker was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving—his second arrest in less than a month—and is facing fresh calls for his resignation or removal from office. A Kansas trooper arrested Aaron Coleman around 1am Saturday on Interstate 70 near Lawrence, the Kansas Highway Patrol...
FBI: We Think We've Nabbed
Missouri/Kansas Serial Killer
Nov 9, 2021 8:05 AM CST
FBI: We Think We've Nabbed Missouri/Kansas Serial Killer
Perez Reed, 25, accused of fatally gunning down 6 people in alleged crime spree
- A suspected serial killer has been arrested for six deadly shootings throughout the Missouri/Kansas City area in September and October. Police say 25-year-old Perez Reed was nabbed by FBI agents on Friday after getting off a train in Independence, Mo., heading to his home in St. Louis from Kansas City,...
Former Kansas Senate Leader
Is Going to Jail for 2 Days
Oct 25, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Former Kansas Senate Leader Is Going to Jail for 2 Days
Republican lawmaker Gene Suellentrop pleads no contest to DUI, reckless driving
: Kansas Sen. Gene Suellentrop has pleaded no contest to misdemeanor DUI and reckless driving charges as part of a plea deal that will allow him to keep his job. The Republican—who was arrested in March after he was seen driving the wrong way on I-470 in Topeka—will...
Oct 21, 2021 3:55 PM CDT
Former Worker Admits Taking Rural Water System Down
Shared password enabled the remote attack on Kansas utility
- All Wyatt Travnichek had to do to remotely shut down a rural Kansas water system was know the shared pass code to get into the software that controls the plant. The Post Rock Rural Water District uses a shared GoToMyPC account to give employees remote access after hours, a prosecutor...
Woman Taps Into
1887 Law to
Seek Justice in
May 25, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Woman Taps Into 1887 Law to Seek Justice in Alleged Rape
Madison Smith convened own grand jury in Kansas after prosecutors wouldn't bring rape charges
- A Kansas woman who alleges consensual sex with a friend in his college dorm room turned into assault took matters into her own hands when prosecutors declined to bring rape charges: She called a citizen grand jury, relying on a 134-year-old state law. Madison Smith, 22, collected hundreds of signatures...
New Autopsy in 2004 Death
Leads to Murder Investigation
Apr 6, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
New Autopsy in 2004 Death Leads to Murder Investigation
Exhumed body of Alonzo Brooks shows evidence of injury
was revived last year , show producers said they hoped to solve the April 2004 death of a 23-year-old Black and Hispanic man found in a creek following a party in Kansas. And though Alonzo Brooks' death is not yet solved, authorities are now confident in calling it...
'Rumor Mill's Going Nuts' After
State GOP Leader Arrested
Mar 16, 2021 6:07 PM CDT
'Rumor Mill's Going Nuts' After State GOP Leader Arrested
Kansas Senate Majority Leader Gene Suellentrop accused of DUI, trying to flee cops
- Kansas Senate Majority Leader Gene Suellentrop was not present when the state Senate convened Tuesday afternoon—which was not surprising after the events of that morning. Police say the 69-year-old Republican was arrested in Topeka at 3:55am on Tuesday and booked into jail on suspicion of driving under the...
Threats Arrived for Years,
Until Tormentor Was Revealed
Mar 13, 2021 12:40 PM CST
Threats Arrived for Years, Until Tormentor Was Revealed
Story at Medium recounts the 4-year ordeal of Ruth Finley in Kansas
- The threatening letters baffled Wichita police for four years, from 1977 to 1981. As Corey Mead explains in an almost impossible-to-believe account at Medium , a letter writer who came to be dubbed "The Poet" sent regular letters to a woman named Ruth Finley threatening to kill her. Worse, his...
Booby Trap Injures Officers
Checking on Vacant Home
Feb 28, 2021 3:04 PM CST
Booby Trap Injures Officers Checking on Vacant Home
It happened in Wichita, Kansas
- A blast from a “modified, loaded shotgun” injured three Kansas police officers Saturday afternoon as they checked out a vacant home, the AP reports. One of the officers was treated and released from the hospital, per KWCH . The two others remained hospitalized Sunday, according to reports, one with minor...
Cops: Girl Was Dragged
for Miles Behind Stolen SUV
Feb 8, 2021 12:36 PM CST
Cops: Girl Was Dragged for Miles Behind Stolen SUV
Wichita suspect faces felony murder charge
- Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsey says it's one of the saddest cases he's dealt with in his 28-year career. A 13-year-old girl died Saturday after being dragged for several miles by her family's stolen SUV, the
reports. Police spokesman Charley Davidson says the girl was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.