Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Survivor Praises SBC
Decision to Release
Secret List of Abusers
May 24, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Survivor Praises SBC Decision to Release Secret List of Abusers
The Executive Committee also voted to rebuke a former member
- The depth of the problem surprised almost everyone, but the themes revealed in Sunday’s bombshell report on sexual abuse and coverups within the Southern Baptist Convention are not new to Christa Brown. She says she was sexually abused as a child by a minister, and she has been fighting...
Feb 4, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Blackhawks Fans Push Back Against Exec's Comments
Chicago's Rocky Wirtz dismissed reporter's questions about sex-assault reforms
- Though an alleged sexual abuse cover-up with the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team happened 12 years ago, fans and the public at large still want answers about how this will be prevented in the future—but they apparently won’t get any from the team’s executives, the
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting
on Priest Accused of Abuse
Jan 24, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting on Priest Accused of Abuse
Benedict had originally said he hadn't attended, blames discrepancy on 'editing' mistake
Pope Benedict XVI has repeatedly denied wrongdoing in the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal, but there's been a shift in at least one story. Per the Catholic News Agency and CNN , the pontiff had originally told investigators he hadn't attended a January 1980 meeting of archdiocesan...
of Abuse to Cost
Jan 19, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Doctor's Decades of Abuse to Cost University of Michigan $490M
Settlement reached over sex assaults at hands of Dr. Robert Anderson
- The University of Michigan has agreed to a $490 million settlement with more than 1,000 people, mostly men, who say they were sexually assaulted by Dr. Robert Anderson during his nearly four-decade career as a sports doctor at the school. The university on Wednesday said 1,050 people will...
Oct 5, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Report: French Catholic Church Showed 'Cruel Indifference'
Commission finds 330K children may have been sexually abused by clergy, laypeople since 1950
- A new report slams the Catholic Church for "cruel indifference," with clergy in France accused of sexually abusing an estimated 216,000 children since 1950. Jean-Marc Sauve, head of the inquiry commissioned by the French Catholic Church, says most of the victims over the past seven decades were...
Weeks Before Trial,
R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Jun 8, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Weeks Before Trial, R. Kelly's Lawyers Want Out
Remaining attorneys say singer actually fired them
- R. Kelly is to face trial in federal court in New York this August for allegedly abusing various women and girls over 25 years. But whether the trial will go ahead is now unclear, with a report suggesting the singer has fired his two lead attorneys. In a statement to...
for Church Sex
Jun 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
On Punishments for Church Sex Abuse, a 'Significant Rewrite'
Pope Francis signs off on first major update to penal sanctions since 1980s
- A slew of new rules on how to handle sexual abuse within the Catholic Church has received the official green light from Pope Francis, updating a penal system that's been in place for 40 years. The
calls it "the most significant rewrite of canon law" since...
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable'
Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Mar 3, 2021 8:41 AM CST
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable' Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Group says it will sell the nearly 60 paintings it owns by Norman Rockwell
- The Boy Scouts of America this week proposed establishing a fund of at least $300 million that would be used to settle the more than 80,000 sex-abuse claims it faces. An attorney for 1,000 of those alleged victims called that amount "chump change" in comments to CNN...
'Living Saint' Is Accused of
Sexually Abusing 6 Women
Feb 24, 2020 12:05 AM CST
'Living Saint' Is Accused of Sexually Abusing 6 Women
Jean Vanier died last year at age 90
- A respected Catholic figure who worked to improve conditions for the developmentally disabled for more than half a century sexually abused at least six women during most of that period, according to a report released Saturday by the France-based charity he founded. The report produced for L'Arche International said...
Feb 23, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Epstein Lawyers: Help, the Lights Are Going Out
They ask the Superior Court of the Virgin Islands to strike down liens
- Jeffrey Epstein once bought Caribbean islands and private jets with the flick of a pen. Now lawyers for his $600 million estate say checks are starting to bounce, the
reports. On Thursday, they told the Superior Court of the Virgin Islands that liens placed by a local attorney...
by What This
School Is Doing
Feb 22, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Nassar Victim: I'm 'Horrified' by What This School Is Doing
Former gymnast Rachael Denhollander slams the University of Michigan over allegations there
- The first woman who publicly accused Michigan State sports doctor Larry Nassar of sexual abuse said she is "horrified," and "deeply disappointed" with the University of Michigan for how it has handled allegations of abuse by a doctor at that school. The university announced earlier this week...
American-Style School Bus
Haunts Prince Andrew
Feb 22, 2020 12:00 PM CST
American-Style School Bus Haunts Prince Andrew
And it looks like Gloria Allred is behind it
- Peek outside Buckingham Palace, and you'll see a yellow school bus—with an ad on the side that's hard to ignore, the
reports. "If you see this man please ask him to call the FBI to answer their questions," reads the ad along with two...
Wife Sues Church for Reporting
Hubby's Child Sex Abuse
Jan 9, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Wife Sues Church for Reporting Hubby's Child Sex Abuse
Oregon suit claims 'priest-penitent privilege' was violated in case of Timothy Johnson
- Various lawsuits have accused clergy members of seeing sex abuse as more of a sin than a crime. A new one, however, claims quite the opposite. An Oregon woman is suing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for $9.5 million, arguing church leaders violated "priest-penitent privilege"...
Ex-SEALs Are Guarding
Ghislaine Maxwell: Source
Jan 4, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Ex-SEALs Are Guarding Ghislaine Maxwell: Source
Jeffrey Epstein's old friend is reportedly hiding in safe houses
- Jeffrey Epstein's alleged former madame hasn't fallen off the Earth—she's just very well-protected, according to unnamed sources popping up in the tabloids. "She is not in the US, she moves around," an unidentified source tells the
New York Post
about Ghislaine Maxwell, 58. "...
Suit: Famed Jesuit Sexually
Abused Me on Worldwide Trips
Dec 31, 2019 8:08 AM CST
Suit: Famed Jesuit Sexually Abused Me on Worldwide Trips
Robert Goldberg says he endured almost daily abuse as child valet for the late Donald McGuire
- One day in May 1970, an 11-year-old boy and his sister waited outside a Chicago tavern for their mom to come out. When a priest happened by and offered the family a ride home, they took him up on it. The boy, Robert Goldberg, would pay dearly for the favor,...
It's a Good Day for
Michael Jackson Accusers
Nov 19, 2019 4:00 PM CST
It's a Good Day for Michael Jackson Accusers
Appeals court tentatively says lawsuits by Wade Robson, James Safechuck can proceed
- Looks like two of Michael Jackson's best-known accusers may have another day in court. A California appeals court has tentatively ruled that lawsuits by Wade Robson and James Safechuck—who accused Jackson in the HBO documentary
of molesting them as boys—should get fresh consideration by a...
Andrew's Interview Called
Worse Than a 'Train Wreck'
Nov 17, 2019 11:50 AM CST
Andrew's Interview Called Worse Than a 'Train Wreck'
Seems people aren't buying his denials
- Prince Andrew's TV interview about his friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein has triggered shock waves of disbelief across British media, CNN reports. To recap, the prince soberly denied even knowing accuser Virginia Giuffre, who was underage at the time. In particular, he denied having sex with Giuffre...
Say No to
Nov 16, 2019 10:08 AM CST
Epstein's Jail Guards Say No to Plea Deal
Seems the Justice Dept. is mulling criminal charges
- Federal prosecutors offered a plea deal to two correctional officers responsible for guarding Jeffrey Epstein on the night of his death, but the officers have declined the offer, people familiar with the matter tell the AP . The existence of the plea offer signals the Justice Department is considering criminal charges...
Michael Jackson Cried Talking
to Brando About His Sex Life
Aug 30, 2019 2:10 PM CDT
Michael Jackson Cried Talking to Brando About His Sex Life
At least according to an upcoming podcast
- Seems Marlon Brando once asked Michael Jackson about his sex life, and the pop star became surprisingly emotional. In
Telephone Stories: The Trials of Michael Jackson
, host Brandon Ogborn reads from a transcript of Brando talking to prosecutors in 1994 about sex-abuse accusations against the pop icon. "It's...
Suit: Boy Scouts Hiding
Aug 7, 2019 7:46 AM CDT
Suit: Boy Scouts Hiding 'Pedophilia Epidemic'
Lawyer group says it has 800 clients in the wings and has identified 350 new alleged abusers
- A lawsuit was filed Monday in Philly against the Boy Scouts of America on behalf of a man who says a Scout leader sexually abused him for years in the '70s, and the lawyer group that filed the complaint says there's new proof that the BSA tried to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.