Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Parents Take Action
After Girl's Horrific
Death on Ride
Oct 21, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
Parents Take Action After Girl's Horrific Death on Ride
They say Glenwood Caverns' recklessness is to blame
The parents of the 6-year-old girl who died while reportedly unrestrained on a Colorado thrill ride that drops 110 feet in three seconds are suing the amusement park where she died. The lawsuit alleges Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park's recklessness caused Wongel Estifanos' death, the AP reports. It also...
Roller Coaster Shuts After
Riders Report Broken Bones
Aug 24, 2021 2:19 PM CDT
Roller Coaster Shuts After Riders Report Broken Bones
Japan's Do-Dodonpa roller coaster goes from zero to 112mph in 1.56 seconds
- A roller coaster that can go from zero to 112mph in 1.56 seconds: What could go wrong? Something, perhaps. The Do-Dodonpa roller coaster at the Fuji-Q Highland amusement park in Japan has been indefinitely put on ice while officials investigate whether riders sustained injuries because of it—and fairly...
Woman Waiting to Ride Roller
Coaster Hit by 'Metal Object'
Aug 21, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Woman Waiting to Ride Roller Coaster Hit by 'Metal Object'
Top Thrill Dragster, world's 2nd-tallest roller coaster, shut down at Ohio's Cedar Point
- The world's second-tallest roller coaster won't open again this year after a person standing in line was hit in the head by a metal object that flew off the ride last weekend at Cedar Point amusement park. The 420-foot-tall Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster will remain closed as...
Man Dies After 50-Foot Fall
From Amusement Park Ride
Aug 17, 2021 4:26 PM CDT
Man Dies After 50-Foot Fall From Amusement Park Ride
He was seen hanging from front of chair lift at Lagoon Amusement Park in Utah
- A 32-year-old man has died after a 50-foot fall from a ride at an amusement park in Utah—but there's no sign there was any problem with the ride. Disturbing video provided to Fox 13 shows the man dangling from the bar on the front of the chair lift...
Rafting Ride Accident at
Theme Park Leaves One Dead
Jul 5, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Rafting Ride Accident at Theme Park Leaves One Dead
4 had been hospitalized after raft overturned Saturday at Adventureland Park in Altoona, Iowa
- A holiday weekend outing at an Iowa amusement park has left one dead and three others hospitalized after an accident on one of the rides. WHO13 reports that the incident on the Raging River attraction happened Saturday evening, with the park noting in a statement that a raft on the...
Coaster Is a Devilish
Jun 15, 2021 11:59 AM CDT
Tallest Single-Rail Coaster Is a Devilish 'Scream Machine'
Jersey Devil coaster features 87-degree drop from 130 feet
- Six Flags Great Adventure has a devilish desire to draw people out of their homes with what it claims is the fastest, tallest and longest single rail coaster in the world. The Jersey Devil Coaster, which opened at the New Jersey park on Sunday, immediately brings riders to the top...
Disney Park Guests May Have
to Use Their Indoor Voices
Mar 17, 2021 5:14 PM CDT
Disney Park Guests May Have to Use Their Indoor Voices
Trade group advises no shouting or singing when Disneyland reopens April 30
- Disneyland and California Adventure plan to end their lockdown of more than a year on April 30. "It's been a long, long time since we've been able to create magic for our guests," said chief executive Bob Chapek, "and put our cast members back to...
Japan Theme Parks
Can Reopen, But
Screaming Is Banned
May 28, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Japan Theme Parks Can Reopen, But Screaming Is Banned
Haunted house ghosts should maintain social distancing, according to new guidelines
- Riders may soon be able to enjoy the terrifying Takabashi ride at Japan's Fuji-Q Highland amusement park again—but they will be urged to wear masks and refrain from screaming during its 121-degree drop. The country's theme park operators have released new guidelines for reopening as Japan eases...
Family Night Out Turns Fatal
Oct 13, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Family Night Out Turns Fatal
An unidentified girl was flung from a "Scrambler" ride in New Jersey
- Tragedy struck a New Jersey amusement park Saturday when a 10-year-old girl was ejected from a ride and killed,
reports. The unidentified victim lay motionless amid distraught family members, per a witness, and was pronounced dead that evening at a hospital. "We are absolutely heartbroken," says the...
One Minute the Wave Pool Was
Calm. Then, Screams of Terror
Aug 2, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
One Minute the Wave Pool Was Calm. Then, Screams of Terror
Officials say machine malfunction caused rogue wave at Chinese water park
- The worst that most people usually suffer after a long day at the water park is a bit of sunburn and exhaustion—not bloody knees and broken ribs. But as Fox News reports, government officials say those more serious injuries took place this week after malfunctioning equipment in a wave...
'Ghostly Reminder' of Katrina
Set for Destruction
Jul 5, 2019 10:38 AM CDT
'Ghostly Reminder' of Katrina Set for Destruction
New Orleans mayor says it's time for abandoned Six Flags amusement park to go
- The abandoned Six Flags in New Orleans once resounded with children's laughter and the shrieks of passengers on the thrill rides. Now the only sound is the drone of the cicadas. The amusement park on the city's eastern edge is perhaps the most high-profile, lingering, and ghostly reminder...
Amusement Park Evacuated
as Fast-Moving Fire Erupts
Jun 10, 2019 12:30 AM CDT
Amusement Park Evacuated as Fast-Moving Fire Erupts
'It was pretty scary. We saw trucks packing people'
- A fast-moving brush fire erupted near a huge amusement and water park in Southern California on Sunday, sending hundreds of visitors to the exit to escape clouds of smoke and ash before fire officials asked them to stay put while they worked to contain the blaze. Six Flags Magic Mountain...
3 Hurt in Amusement
Park Log Ride Crash
May 27, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
3 Hurt in Amusement Park Log Ride Crash
Woman was critically injured after ride malfunctioned
- Authorities say three members of a family were injured, one critically, when they were ejected from the log ride at a southern California amusement park. Fire officials say the ride malfunctioned and one of the log-shaped vessels overturned Saturday at Castle Park in Riverside, the AP reports. Officials say riders...
Leaky Test Dummies
Plunge From Roller Coaster
May 1, 2019 4:35 AM CDT
Leaky Test Dummies Plunge From Roller Coaster
It's still safe for humans, amusement park says
- Two test dummies flew off a Jersey Shore roller coaster and crashed into a hotel—but the amusement park promises that human riders won't have the same experience. The water-filled dummies fell off the GaleForce roller coaster at the Castaway Cove park in Ocean City, NJ, during a routine...
16 Trapped for Hours
on SeaWorld Ride
Feb 19, 2019 12:07 AM CST
16 Trapped for Hours on SeaWorld Ride
Park says 'unusual gust' caused power outage
- SeaWorld blames "an unusual gust of significant wind" for a power outage that left 16 people trapped in gondolas suspended above water for several hours Monday night. Authorities in San Diego say the passengers, including several children and an infant, were brought down by firefighters in stages starting around...
Next Up From
Feb 6, 2019 2:49 PM CST
Next Up From Tyra Banks: ModelLand, the Theme Park
It's opening in Santa Monica this year
- Some theme parks have boardwalks; one coming to California will have catwalks. The attraction, set to debut at the Santa Monica Place open-air shopping mall later this year, will be called ModelLand , and it's the brainchild of Tyra Banks, herself a former supermodel and
America's Next Top Model
a Surprise to
Aug 19, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Amusement Park Tragedy Reveals a Surprise to British Visitor
There is no federal oversight of American parks
New York Times
reports on a sad story illustrating something that may come as a surprise to many: No federal oversight exists of US amusement parks. The incident at the center of the story took place three years ago at AJ's Family Fun Center near Grand Rapids, Michigan....
Power Outage Strands
Roller Coaster Riders
May 29, 2018 12:38 AM CDT
Power Outage Strands Roller Coaster Riders
It took 2 hours to restore power at Cedar Point
- A power outage at an amusement park in Ohio left riders stranded on some of its roller coasters and other rides for about two hours. A spokesman for Cedar Point in Sandusky says the park lost power Monday afternoon when a car hit a utility pole, the AP reports. Photos...
Suit: Trip to Amusement Park
Ended With Eye-Eating Parasite
Dec 1, 2017 8:52 AM CST
Suit: Trip to Amusement Park Ended With Eye-Eating Parasite
Robert Trostle is suing Kennywood for negligence
- Its website proclaims Kennywood "Pittsburgh's best amusement park." Robert Trostle would likely append "for contracting an eye-eating parasite" to the end of that. That's what the Squirrel Hill man is claiming happened to him during a July 2 visit to the Pennsylvania park, per a...
Maker Explains Ride's
Aug 7, 2017 1:14 AM CDT
Maker Explains Ride's 'Catastrophic Failure'
Corrosion ate away at beam for 18 years
- The deadly accident at the Ohio State Fair last month was caused by "excessive corrosion" over the 18 years the Fireball ride had been in operation, according to ride maker KMG. Investigators in Columbus found that corrosion "on the interior of the gondola support beam dangerously reduced the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Before His Execution, Man Confessed to Another Murder
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
2 Die After Using Bed Rails
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.