Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular Disney Ride Has
Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
in case you missed it
Jan 29, 2023 7:25 AM CST
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
People are hawking water they say is from Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain for thousands of dollars
- Splash Mountain has officially gone dry, at least for now. The popular log-flume ride in Disney World's Magic Kingdom, which opened in 1992, transported its last fans on Sunday, with the theme park shuttering the attraction to work on a reimagining of it. The new incarnation, set to open...
430-Foot Ride Will Be Taken
Down After Teenager's Death
Oct 6, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
430-Foot Ride Will Be Taken Down After Teenager's Death
Ride operator says decision is in keeping with wishes of Tyre Sampson's family
: A Florida attraction from which a 14-year-old boy fell to his death in March is being dismantled, the ride's operator announced Thursday. The death of Tyre Sampson is the reason, CNN reports. ICON Park said it appreciated the decision by the operator, Orlando Slingshot, to take down the...
Video Not What
It Looks Like
Jul 19, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Sesame Place: Viral Parade Video Not What It Looks Like
Rosita did not purposely ignore Black girls, theme park says
- In a video shared widely on social media, a Sesame Place employee dressed as the
character Rosita appears to ignore two young Black girls as they reached out to her. Worse, she first appears to waggle her fingers 'no' at them before moving on, and their mother...
Park, Ride Manufacturer
Sued Over Fatal Fall
Apr 25, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
Park, Ride Manufacturer Sued Over Fatal Fall
14-year-old's parents argue negligence in Florida case
- The parents of Tyre Sampson, who was killed in a fall from a ride in Orlando, have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against ICON Park, the ride's owner and manufacturer, and others. The 14-year-old from St. Louis died last month after falling from the 430-foot Free Fall ride. The...
'I Can Ride,' Teen Exclaimed
Moments Before Death
Mar 30, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
'I Can Ride,' Teen Exclaimed Moments Before Death
Cousin Shay Johnson recalls her last conversation with Tyre Sampson
- Tyre Sampson was turned away from rides during his visit to Orlando's ICON Park, just not the one that killed him. That's according to his cousin, Shay Johnson, who dropped off the 14-year-old at the amusement park on Thursday. She tells Spectrum News 13 that he wanted to...
Boy Killed in
Fall From Ride
Mar 29, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Boy Killed in Fall From Ride Exceeded Weight Limit
Manual for Orlando ride gives max weight as 287 pounds; Tyre Sampson reportedly weighed 340
- The 14-year-old boy who died after a fall from a 430-foot drop tower ride at Orlando's ICON Park "fell right out of the seat" as the plunging 30-seat circular vehicle started braking, according to a 911 call. "The thing went down the drop, and like when it...
Teen Dies in Fall From
World's Tallest Drop Tower
Mar 25, 2022 9:06 AM CDT
Teen Dies in Fall From World's Tallest Drop Tower
'Everyone was just panicking and screaming,' Orlando witness says
- A 14-year-old boy has died after a horrifying fall from a ride that was billed as "the world's tallest free-standing drop tower" when it opened in Orlando in December. Witnesses say they saw the teen fall from the 430-foot Orlando FreeFall ride at ICON Park Thursday night, Fox...
Parents Take Action
After Girl's Horrific
Death on Ride
Oct 21, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
Parents Take Action After Girl's Horrific Death on Ride
They say Glenwood Caverns' recklessness is to blame
The parents of the 6-year-old girl who died while reportedly unrestrained on a Colorado thrill ride that drops 110 feet in three seconds are suing the amusement park where she died. The lawsuit alleges Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park's recklessness caused Wongel Estifanos' death, the AP reports. It also...
Roller Coaster Shuts After
Riders Report Broken Bones
Aug 24, 2021 2:19 PM CDT
Roller Coaster Shuts After Riders Report Broken Bones
Japan's Do-Dodonpa roller coaster goes from zero to 112mph in 1.56 seconds
- A roller coaster that can go from zero to 112mph in 1.56 seconds: What could go wrong? Something, perhaps. The Do-Dodonpa roller coaster at the Fuji-Q Highland amusement park in Japan has been indefinitely put on ice while officials investigate whether riders sustained injuries because of it—and fairly...
Woman Waiting to Ride Roller
Coaster Hit by 'Metal Object'
Aug 21, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Woman Waiting to Ride Roller Coaster Hit by 'Metal Object'
Top Thrill Dragster, world's 2nd-tallest roller coaster, shut down at Ohio's Cedar Point
- The world's second-tallest roller coaster won't open again this year after a person standing in line was hit in the head by a metal object that flew off the ride last weekend at Cedar Point amusement park. The 420-foot-tall Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster will remain closed as...
Man Dies After 50-Foot Fall
From Amusement Park Ride
Aug 17, 2021 4:26 PM CDT
Man Dies After 50-Foot Fall From Amusement Park Ride
He was seen hanging from front of chair lift at Lagoon Amusement Park in Utah
- A 32-year-old man has died after a 50-foot fall from a ride at an amusement park in Utah—but there's no sign there was any problem with the ride. Disturbing video provided to Fox 13 shows the man dangling from the bar on the front of the chair lift...
Rafting Ride Accident at
Theme Park Leaves One Dead
Jul 5, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Rafting Ride Accident at Theme Park Leaves One Dead
4 had been hospitalized after raft overturned Saturday at Adventureland Park in Altoona, Iowa
- A holiday weekend outing at an Iowa amusement park has left one dead and three others hospitalized after an accident on one of the rides. WHO13 reports that the incident on the Raging River attraction happened Saturday evening, with the park noting in a statement that a raft on the...
Coaster Is a Devilish
Jun 15, 2021 11:59 AM CDT
Tallest Single-Rail Coaster Is a Devilish 'Scream Machine'
Jersey Devil coaster features 87-degree drop from 130 feet
- Six Flags Great Adventure has a devilish desire to draw people out of their homes with what it claims is the fastest, tallest and longest single rail coaster in the world. The Jersey Devil Coaster, which opened at the New Jersey park on Sunday, immediately brings riders to the top...
Disney Park Guests May Have
to Use Their Indoor Voices
Mar 17, 2021 5:14 PM CDT
Disney Park Guests May Have to Use Their Indoor Voices
Trade group advises no shouting or singing when Disneyland reopens April 30
- Disneyland and California Adventure plan to end their lockdown of more than a year on April 30. "It's been a long, long time since we've been able to create magic for our guests," said chief executive Bob Chapek, "and put our cast members back to...
Japan Theme Parks
Can Reopen, But
Screaming Is Banned
May 28, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Japan Theme Parks Can Reopen, But Screaming Is Banned
Haunted house ghosts should maintain social distancing, according to new guidelines
- Riders may soon be able to enjoy the terrifying Takabashi ride at Japan's Fuji-Q Highland amusement park again—but they will be urged to wear masks and refrain from screaming during its 121-degree drop. The country's theme park operators have released new guidelines for reopening as Japan eases...
Family Night Out Turns Fatal
Oct 13, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Family Night Out Turns Fatal
An unidentified girl was flung from a "Scrambler" ride in New Jersey
- Tragedy struck a New Jersey amusement park Saturday when a 10-year-old girl was ejected from a ride and killed,
reports. The unidentified victim lay motionless amid distraught family members, per a witness, and was pronounced dead that evening at a hospital. "We are absolutely heartbroken," says the...
One Minute the Wave Pool Was
Calm. Then, Screams of Terror
Aug 2, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
One Minute the Wave Pool Was Calm. Then, Screams of Terror
Officials say machine malfunction caused rogue wave at Chinese water park
- The worst that most people usually suffer after a long day at the water park is a bit of sunburn and exhaustion—not bloody knees and broken ribs. But as Fox News reports, government officials say those more serious injuries took place this week after malfunctioning equipment in a wave...
'Ghostly Reminder' of Katrina
Set for Destruction
Jul 5, 2019 10:38 AM CDT
'Ghostly Reminder' of Katrina Set for Destruction
New Orleans mayor says it's time for abandoned Six Flags amusement park to go
- The abandoned Six Flags in New Orleans once resounded with children's laughter and the shrieks of passengers on the thrill rides. Now the only sound is the drone of the cicadas. The amusement park on the city's eastern edge is perhaps the most high-profile, lingering, and ghostly reminder...
Amusement Park Evacuated
as Fast-Moving Fire Erupts
Jun 10, 2019 12:30 AM CDT
Amusement Park Evacuated as Fast-Moving Fire Erupts
'It was pretty scary. We saw trucks packing people'
- A fast-moving brush fire erupted near a huge amusement and water park in Southern California on Sunday, sending hundreds of visitors to the exit to escape clouds of smoke and ash before fire officials asked them to stay put while they worked to contain the blaze. Six Flags Magic Mountain...
3 Hurt in Amusement
Park Log Ride Crash
May 27, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
3 Hurt in Amusement Park Log Ride Crash
Woman was critically injured after ride malfunctioned
- Authorities say three members of a family were injured, one critically, when they were ejected from the log ride at a southern California amusement park. Fire officials say the ride malfunctioned and one of the log-shaped vessels overturned Saturday at Castle Park in Riverside, the AP reports. Officials say riders...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.