Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Her Academic Paper Set
Stage for Epic Amazon Fight
Sep 26, 2023 12:41 PM CDT
Her Academic Paper Set Stage for Epic Amazon Fight
FTC chief Lina Khan is going after Jeff Bezos' company as a monopoly
- The feds and 17 states are going after Amazon in a long-anticipated legal fight that could take years to play out. And for Federal Trade Commission chief Lina Khan, the fight is a long time coming. As the
New York Times
notes, she first came to national attention as a...
Feds, States Bring Huge
Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
Sep 26, 2023 11:44 AM CDT
Feds, States Bring Huge Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
FTC, 17 states say Jeff Bezos' company is an illegal operation
- The Federal Trade Commission and 17 state attorneys general filed an antitrust lawsuit against Amazon on Tuesday, alleging the e-commerce behemoth uses its position in the marketplace to inflate prices on other platforms, overcharge sellers, and stifle competition. The lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Western District of...
Can Now Claim Refunds
Sep 20, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
Players, Parents Can Now Claim Refunds
Company has agreed to pay back $245M in surprise charges for in-game purchases
- The Federal Trade Commission says it has started contacting 37 million to let them know they can apply for refunds for in-game purchases in
. Epic Games agreed to pay $245 million in refunds as part of $520 million settlement last year for breaching children's privacy and tricking people...
FTC Makes Its First Move
Jul 13, 2023 12:18 PM CDT
FTC Makes Its First Move Against ChatGPT
Agency wants answers about the AI tool generating false information about people, other matters
- The FTC has gotten aggressive about the potential dangers of ChatGPT . The consumer agency has opened what the
describes as an "expansive" investigation into the artificial intelligence tool made by OpenAI. Specifically, the agency is demanding answers in a 20-page investigative document that CNN likens to an...
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt
$69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
Jul 11, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt $69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
With clock ticking to get the deal closed, court hands Microsoft a major victory
- A federal judge has handed Microsoft a major victory by declining to block its looming $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard. US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley said in a ruling that the Federal Trade Commission "has not shown a likelihood it will prevail on its...
FTC Wants a Steep Crackdown
on Phony Online Reviews
Jul 3, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
FTC Wants a Steep Crackdown on Phony Online Reviews
Proposed new rules include steep fines
- The Federal Trade Commission says it wants to "level the playing field for honest companies" with a crackdown on fake online reviews. The FTC has proposed new rules that include heavy penalties for companies using dodgy reviews to boost their products, the
reports. Offenders could be fined...
FTC: 'Manipulative' Amazon
Tricked Millions Into Prime
Jun 21, 2023 1:49 PM CDT
FTC: 'Manipulative' Amazon Tricked Millions Into Prime
Company 'knowingly complicated the cancellation process,' to boot, agency says
- The FTC isn't letting up on Amazon , alleging in a new lawsuit that the world's largest online retailer knowingly tricked "millions of consumers" into signing up for its paid Prime service, then made them jump through hoops in order to cancel . The company "trapped people into...
Amazon Fined $25M
in Child Privacy Case
Jun 1, 2023 4:21 AM CDT
Amazon Fined $25M in Child Privacy Case
Company also has to pay refunds over Ring privacy issues
- Amazon agreed Wednesday to pay a $25 million civil penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission allegations it violated a child privacy law and deceived parents by keeping for years kids' voice and location data recorded by its popular Alexa voice assistant. Separately, the company agreed to pay $5.8 million...
FTC Warns of 'Terrifying'
Phone Scam Driven by AI
Mar 23, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
FTC Warns of 'Terrifying' Phone Scam Driven by AI
Agency says voice cloning can make caller sound like a loved one begging for money
- Many of us have heard of the old hoax in which victims receive phone calls from "police" or a "doctor" (actually scammers) saying that a loved one is in trouble and needs money sent stat. Now, in what NPR says "sounds like a plot from a science...
Raising Some Eyebrows
Jan 25, 2023 8:36 AM CST
Egg Producers' 'Egregious Profits' Raising Some Eyebrows
Farm Action wants Cal-Maine investigated over possible price gouging
- A US senator has joined farmers in calling for an investigation to crack the problem of soaring egg prices . Government data shows the national average retail price for a dozen eggs reached $4.25 in December, for a 138% increase from the $1.79 average a year earlier, though the...
'Pharma Bro' Is Making
Jan 21, 2023 7:45 AM CST
'Pharma Bro' Is Making Headlines Again
FTC wants Martin Shkreli held in contempt for impeding probe into ban on working in industry
- It's been awhile since Martin Shkreli dominated the headlines, but he appears to be making somewhat of a comeback after his release from prison last year. In January 2022, the former pharmaceuticals executive deemed "Pharma Bro" by the media was ordered by a federal judge to return nearly...
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's
Takeover of Activision Blizzard
Dec 8, 2022 4:15 PM CST
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's Takeover of Activision Blizzard
But Microsoft has good shot of winning a legal challenge
- The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday it is suing to block Microsoft’s planned $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard, saying it could suppress competitors to its Xbox game consoles and its growing games subscription business. The FTC voted 3-1 to issue the complaint after a closed-door...
Executives Quit Twitter
Nov 10, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Security, Compliance Executives Quit Twitter
FTC warns company, which risks violating consent decree
- Federal regulators expressed alarm Thursday after several privacy and security executives resigned from Twitter. Those leaving include the chief information security officer, chief privacy officer, and chief compliance officer, the
reports. The news was met with a warning from the Federal Trade Commission, which said it could take...
Firm's 'Made in
Made in China
Aug 9, 2022 7:25 AM CDT
FTC: Pro-Trump Firm's 'Made in USA' Apparel Made in China
Agency fines Lions Not Sheep, owner $200K for phony labels
- If you're going to put "Made in USA" labels on your products, you'd better make sure they're actually made in the USA. That's the message the Federal Trade Commission hopes to convey to one pro-Donald Trump apparel company that it just fined more than $200,...
FTC Sues Intuit:
TurboTax Is Free
Mar 30, 2022 2:01 AM CDT
FTC Sues Intuit: Stop Saying TurboTax Is Free
FTC says ads mislead consumers
- The Federal Trade Commission is suing TurboTax maker Intuit, saying its ads for “free” tax filing misled consumers, the AP reports. Intuit says it will fight the suit. The consumer protection agency said Tuesday that millions of consumers cannot actually use the free tax-prep software option—two-thirds of tax...
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon
to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
Nov 30, 2021 6:43 AM CST
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
9 companies asked to turn over information on supply chain woes
- Walmart, Amazon, and Kroger will have 45 days to answer to the Federal Trade Commission for their "empty shelves and sky-high prices." With the holiday shopping season now underway, the FTC has ordered nine large retailers, wholesalers, and suppliers including Procter & Gamble Co., Tyson Foods, Kraft Heinz...
Apple Flips on Right to Repair,
Will Sell Parts to Consumers
Nov 17, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Apple Flips on Right to Repair, Will Sell Parts to Consumers
Program to start with iPhone 12 and 13 next year, then add Macs
- In a victory for the right-to-repair movement, as well as owners of Apple products, the company soon will permit DIY repairs. Apple announced Wednesday that it will provide instructions on home repairs, as well as start selling more than 200 parts and the necessary tools, the Verge reports. Until now,...
Oil Companies' Math
Nov 17, 2021 4:52 PM CST
Biden Questions Oil Companies' Math
President wants investigation into why pump prices are up when costs are down
- President Biden wonders why the cost of producing gasoline is dropping while prices at the pump are rising. Maybe "illegal conduct" is to blame, he wrote the chair of the Federal Trade Commission on Wednesday, asking Lina Khan to investigate oil and gas companies and "bring all of...
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
FTC Is Investigating
Sep 2, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
FTC Is Investigating McFlurry Machines
Company accuses manufacturer of 'multimillion-dollar repair racket'
- McDonald's notoriously finicky McFlurry machines may be in violation of antitrust law, Gizmodo reports, based on a new investigation by the Federal Trade Commission. The agency is investigating why the machines so often fail amid a legal fight between the manufacturer, which has a monopoly on repairs, and a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.