Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Deion Sanders Just Took
Home a Top
Dec 1, 2023 10:51 AM CST
Deion Sanders Just Took Home a Top
Not many with 4-8 record would earn Sportsperson of the Year, but Colorado Buffaloes coach just did
- Former NFL and MLB player Deion Sanders has been named
's Sportsperson of the Year, a choice that has some cheering and others scratching their heads. "Coach Prime is here, and he's just getting started," the magazine tweeted on Thursday of the 56-year-old ex-cornerback, now...
Bill Belichick Becomes a Meme
in His Worst-Ever Loss
Oct 2, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Bill Belichick Becomes a Meme in His Worst-Ever Loss
Patriots get blown out by 35 points
- Just how bad was Sunday's loss for Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots? The legendary, and legendarily stoic, coach became an "instant meme" for frustration, reports NESN . Cameras caught Belichick covering his eyes on the sideline during the 38-3 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, and the jokes...
MSU Head Coach Fired
for 'Moral Turpitude'
Sep 27, 2023 12:58 PM CDT
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Mel Tucker admitted masturbating during phone call with sexual assault prevention activist
- Michigan State University has officially fired head football coach Mel Tucker for breaking the moral turpitude clause of the record $95 million contract he signed in 2021. Tucker was suspended earlier this month following a
report on sexual harassment allegations from Brenda Tracy, a rape survivor and activist...
High School Coach Resigns
Over Team's 'Nazi' Play Call
Sep 27, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
High School Coach Resigns Over Team's 'Nazi' Play Call
Tim McFarland of Ohio's Brooklyn High School steps down after players' antisemitic jabs
- An Ohio high school football coach resigned Monday after his team used racist and antisemitic language to call plays during a game last week. Brooklyn High School coach Tim McFarland and his players repeatedly used the word "Nazi" as a play call in a game against Beachwood High School....
6 Months After Bike Accident,
Dartmouth Loses 'Coach'
Sep 20, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
6 Months After Bike Accident, Dartmouth Loses 'Coach'
Buddy Teevens, head coach of college's football team, succumbed to injuries at age 66
- Six months after Dartmouth College's head football coach Buddy Teevens was involved in a serious bike accident, the 66-year-old has died, reports CNN . "Our family is heartbroken to inform you that our beloved 'coach' has peacefully passed away surrounded by family," a statement from Teevens' family...
He Might Be the Biggest
Story in Sports Right Now
Sep 18, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
He Might Be the Biggest Story in Sports Right Now
'Coach Prime' Deion Sanders has transformed the University of Colorado football program
- Even less-than-casual sports fans are likely to remember the name of Deion Sanders from his days in the NFL. These days, the Hall of Famer is coaching college football, and some remarkable descriptions are being thrown around about the man who calls himself "Coach Prime." Coverage:
Coach Fired Over
Sep 6, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Coach Fired Over Praying Quits After Winning Job Back
Joe Kennedy was on the field again for one game
- One game into his return to the football coaching staff at Washington's Bremerton High School, Joe Kennedy has resigned from the job the US Supreme Court allowed him to keep. "It is apparent that the reinstatement ordered by the Supreme Court will not be fully followed after a...
College Says Its Coach Retired.
Coach: 'I Did Not F---ing Retire'
Mar 24, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
College Says Its Coach Retired. Coach: 'I Did Not F---ing Retire'
San Diego's 'winningest coach' ever is not going along with school's line on why he left
- On Tuesday, the University of San Diego's athletic director, Bill McGillis, announced in a statement that Dale Lindsey, the "winningest coach" in USD's history, "will retire from USD as one of the greatest head coaches in our university's history and one of the elite head...
An 'Air Raid' Coaching
Legend Dies at 61
Dec 13, 2022 11:59 AM CST
An 'Air Raid' Coaching Legend Dies at 61
Colorful Mike Leach of Mississippi State dies of heart complications
- Mike Leach, the gruff, pioneering, and unfiltered college football coach who helped revolutionize the passing game with the Air Raid offense, has died following complications from a heart condition, Mississippi State said Tuesday. He was 61. Leach, who was in his third season as head coach at Mississippi State, fell...
Brother of Ex-NFLer Turns
Himself in After Fatal Shooting
Aug 15, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Brother of Ex-NFLer Turns Himself in After Fatal Shooting
Yaqub Talib, brother of former Bronco Aqib Talib, is accused of gunning down youth coach in Texas
This story has been updated with new developments.
The brother of a former NFL cornerback turned himself in Monday after an arrest warrant was issued in connection with the fatal shooting of a youth football coach in Texas. Police in Lancaster issued the warrant for Yaqub Salik Talib, the older...
Supreme Court Sides With
High School Coach Over Prayer
Jun 27, 2022 9:54 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With High School Coach Over Prayer
Justices say Joe Kennedy shouldn't have been fired for on-field prayers with team
- The Supreme Court's conservative majority has once again won the day in a closely watched case, this time over public prayer. The court ruled 6-3 that a high school football coach in Washington state who led prayers with players on the field after games shouldn't have been fired,...
Dec 16, 2021 2:06 AM CST
After Much Drama and Only 13 Games, NFL Coach Fired
Urban Meyer's former team is 2-11, and things might have been even worse off the field
The Jacksonville Jaguars fired Urban Meyer early Thursday, just 13 games (and two wins) into his time as the NFL team's coach. Hours prior to Meyer's termination, a former Jaguars player accused Meyer of kicking him during an August practice, the AP reports. That was just the...
NFL's 'One Play at
a Time' Coach, Dies
Feb 10, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Schottenheimer, NFL's 'One Play at a Time' Coach, Dies
'Martyball' approach made him one of the league's winningest coaches, with 4 different teams
- Marty Schottenheimer, an NFL coach with one of the league's best records, has died at the age of 77. Schottenheimer, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014, died in hospice care on Monday in Charlotte, NC, a family spokesperson tells ESPN . The former coach of the Clevelands Brown,...
Tweaking Rooney Rule
Didn't Change Much in NFL
Jan 29, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Tweaking Rooney Rule Didn't Change Much in NFL
Just 2 of 7 head coaches hired are minorities
- The NFL expanded the Rooney Rule to give more minority candidates opportunities to become a head coach and reward teams that develop them. But more interviews didn’t equal more hirings this offseason. According to an analysis of candidates known to have interviewed for seven head coach openings this month,...
College Coach Canned for
Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Jan 8, 2021 9:18 AM CST
College Coach Canned for Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Assistant coach Chris Malone no longer with University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team
- An assistant coach for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's football team no longer has a job after penning a racist tweet voicing his frustrations over the recent results of the Georgia Senate races. ESPN reports Chris Malone was fired Thursday, with both Mocs head coach Rusty Wright and...
NFL Hands Down $1M in
Fines Over Face Masks
Sep 22, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
NFL Hands Down $1M in Fines Over Face Masks
Head coaches for Broncos, Seahawks, 49ers now owe $100K each for not following safety protocols
- A week after the NFL warned its coaches and teams about following proper safety protocols regarding COVID-19, the league has now handed down more than $1 million in fines, including to three head coaches. Sources tell ESPN that Vic Fangio of the Denver Broncos, the Seattle Seahawks' Pete Carroll, and...
Biden at GOP
Now, a Big Honor
Sep 5, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
He Slammed Biden at GOP Convention. Now, a Big Honor
President Trump announces ex-Notre Dame football coach Lou Holtz to get Medal of Freedom
- Lou Holtz gave an impassioned speech at the Republican National Convention last month praising President Trump. Now, the favor is being returned, with the nation's highest civilian honor thrown in for good measure. On Friday, Trump announced he'll bestow the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the former Notre...
An NFL Legend
Is Dead at 90
May 4, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
An NFL Legend Is Dead at 90
Former Dolphins coach Don Shula has the league's only perfect season
- He coached the 1972 Miami Dolphins to a perfect 17-0 record, culminating with a Super Bowl win. No NFL coach before or since matched that feat by Don Shula. The 90-year-old died "peacefully at his home," the team announced Monday, reports TMZ . No cause of death was announced...
Apr 12, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Coach Says He's Sorry That 'Some' People Were Offended
Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy apologizes for his coronavirus remarks
- Oklahoma State's football coach apologized Saturday for comments he made about the coronavirus pandemic—which is only fueling a fresh round of eye-rolls from critics. "I have been made aware that comments from my press conference have offended some," Mike Gundy said in a statement, per
Pick a New
Jan 6, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Beleaguered Cowboys Pick a New Coach
Green Bay veteran Mike McCarthy will replace Jason Garrett
- The Dallas Cowboys didn't take long to settle on Mike McCarthy as their coach after waiting a week to announce they were moving on from Jason Garrett, per the AP . McCarthy, who won a Super Bowl at the home of the Cowboys nine years ago as Green Bay's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.