Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
His Odds of Surviving Were
'About Zero,' Yet He Did
Nov 11, 2021 12:47 PM CST
His Odds of Surviving Were 'About Zero,' Yet He Did
Aussie man fends off crocodile with a pocketknife
- An Australian senior's day of fishing last week was marred by a crocodile attack, and authorities say it's amazing he's alive. AFP reports the 60-year-old Queensland man headed to a river on his property in the far reaches of the Cape York Peninsula and found a bull...
She Heard a
Noise in the Kitchen.
Then, a 'Big Paw
Right on My Face'
Nov 6, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
She Heard a Noise in the Kitchen. Then, a 'Big Paw Right on My Face'
Laurel-Rose von Hoffmann-Curzi, who has cancer, fought off bear in her Lake Tahoe vacation cabin
- For Laurel-Rose von Hoffmann-Curzi, her Lake Tahoe vacation home has been a refuge during the pandemic, especially since she has stage 4 non-Hodgkin lymphoma and is particularly vulnerable to COVID. But the 66-year-old retired doctor says she won't be going back to the cabin anytime soon after a black...
Otters Are On the
Attack in This City
Sep 27, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
Otters Are On the Attack in This City
Woman, boy bitten in Anchorage, Alaska; officials aren't sure why the rare attacks are taking place
has lifted its paywall on a recent story to deliver a very important message to locals: "Beware of aggressive river otters." Friday's warning from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game came after a woman, a child, and at least two dogs were attacked...
Child's Evening Frolic
on Cape Cod Beach
Ends With Coyote Bite
Aug 14, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Child's Evening Frolic on Cape Cod Beach Ends With Coyote Bite
Luckily, animal didn't have rabies; child said to be recovering from non-life-threatening injuries
- A child's visit to a Provincetown beach turned ugly on Wednesday evening. A coyote bit the unidentified youngster at North Herring Cove Beach, part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, around 8:30pm, sending the child to Cape Cod Hospital with what the National Park Service says were non-life-threatening...
A Bird Swoops
and a Baby Dies
Aug 10, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
A Bird Swoops and a Baby Dies
Magpie removed from Brisbane park after causing 5-month-old's fatal fall
- The lord mayor of Brisbane, Australia, says the city has been "shocked to its absolute core" by the death of a 5-month-old girl, triggered by a bird attack. The mother was cradling the infant in her arms at a park on Sunday when a magpie—a protected bird known...
After Fatal Mauling, Officials
Find and Shoot Grizzly
Jul 9, 2021 12:04 PM CDT
After Fatal Mauling, Officials Find and Shoot Grizzly
They await DNA tests, but Montana officials say it's likely same bear that killed Leah Davis Lokan
- Wildlife officials in Montana say the bear that attacked and killed a camper from California earlier this week is likely no more. A male grizzly, which authorities believe dragged 65-year-old nurse Leah Davis Lokan from her tent early Tuesday while she was sleeping, was shot by federal wildlife employees just...
Mama Bear Bites Man
After Dog Chases Cubs
Jul 1, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Mama Bear Bites Man After Dog Chases Cubs
Alaska man's border collie is still missing
- After an unleashed border collie chased a brown bear and her two cubs on a trail in Alaska, the mama bear went for the owner, not the dog, authorities say. Alaska Wildlife Troopers said in an incident report that the Kenai River Trail hiker was bitten on the arm by...
Hiker in Yellowstone
Has a Bison 'Encounter'
Jun 22, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Hiker in Yellowstone Has a Bison 'Encounter'
30-year-old woman flown to Idaho hospital after being injured by bison
- A 30-year-old Michigan woman on a weekend hike in Yellowstone National Park ended up in the hospital after an unexpected "encounter." Park spokeswoman Linda Veress says in an email to
Jackson Hole News
that the Ann Arbor resident was hiking on Sunday afternoon with a partner along the...
Goes After Swimmer
Apr 2, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
'Angriest Octopus' Goes After Swimmer
That's one too many scary beasts in Australia for some
- A man was taking a dip in sunny Australia—which we might as well call the land of beasts—when he was attacked by the "angriest octopus." Lance Karlson, a geologist and former lifeguard, was walking along the shores of Geographe Bay in Dunsborough, Western Australia, on March...
Boy's First Beach Trip
Ends in 'Horror Film Gore'
Mar 24, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Boy's First Beach Trip Ends in 'Horror Film Gore'
Family says 9-year-old Jay Weiskopf was attacked by shark off Miami Beach
- "A shark tried to eat me at the ocean." That's 9-year-old Jay Weiskopf's description of what happened over the weekend during a family vacation in South Florida. Fox News reports that Jay, who has autism, was swimming in shallow water on the Miami Beach shoreline when...
Chased by Bear
Pulls Off 'Pretty
in case you missed it
Jan 31, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Skier Being Chased by Bear Pulls Off 'Pretty Cool Move'
Tense incident took place in Romania
- Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? In this case, what the brown bear saw was a skier trying to outmaneuver it down a ski slope in Romania. Per the
New York Daily News
, the frightening incident took place Saturday at the Predeal mountain resort, where an unlucky tourist...
on His Head. He
Jan 28, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Crocodile Clamped Down on His Head. He Fought Back
Man managed to pry creature's jaws off his noggin during a swim in Cairns, Australia
- A swim last week in a local lake known for its lurking crocodiles could have ended badly for an Aussie man. Instead, he's now recovering from just minor injuries after one of the reptiles attacked him and he was able to fight it off. First responders tell the
Ranger Has Unusual Theory
on Kangaroo Attack
Dec 4, 2020 10:12 AM CST
Ranger Has Unusual Theory on Kangaroo Attack
Blames jogger's Sarah Jessica Parker perfume
- An Aussie woman says she'll never wear her Sarah Jessica Parker perfume again, at least not while she's out for a run, after a frightening incident with a resident kangaroo over the weekend. Tracy Noonan tells the
radio program she was jogging Saturday in the Melbourne...
Artist to Purge Vision of
Gator Attack by Painting It
Sep 21, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Artist to Purge Vision of Gator Attack by Painting It
'He had green eyes. The teeth were pearly white, no stain or anything.'
- Mark Johnson remembers his attacker in vivid detail. "He had green eyes," he says. "The teeth were pearly white, no stain or anything." Now, the Florida artist wants to paint the perp—an 8-foot-long alligator that mauled him earlier this month. The attack in Port St....
They Were Camping in the
Arctic. Then, a 4am Visitor
Aug 28, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
They Were Camping in the Arctic. Then, a 4am Visitor
Polar bear kills one in Norway's Svalbard Islands
- A polar bear attacked a camping site and killed a foreign national in the remote Svalbard Islands on Friday, authorities said, adding that the animal itself was killed as well. The man was rushed to the hospital in Longyearbyen, where he was declared dead by doctors, Deputy Governor Soelvi Elvedah...
She Left Doggy Door
Open for Her Pet.
Something Else Got In
in case you missed it
Jul 26, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
She Left Doggy Door Open for Her Pet. Something Else Got In
Julie Loflin of Greensboro, NC, holds onto rabid fox for 12 minutes after it attacks her in bed
- A North Carolina woman is shaken after a weekend encounter with an unwelcome visitor. WGHP reports Julie Loflin was settled in her bed last Sunday night when she saw a discomforting sight: a fox slip into her home from the patio through a doggy door used by her 9-year-old beagle,...
Shark Grabs 10-Year-Old Off
Boat During Fishing Trip
Jul 18, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Shark Grabs 10-Year-Old Off Boat During Fishing Trip
Boy in stable condition after incident in waters off Tasmania
- A 10-year-old boy is lucky to be alive after a shark yanked him from a boat off the Australian coast. Authorities say the boy was on a 20-foot vessel fishing with his dad and two other people Friday about 3 miles from the shores of Tasmania when the shark emerged...
As Others Watched in Horror,
Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
Jul 6, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
As Others Watched in Horror, Tiger Attacked Zookeeper
55-year-old worker killed at Zurich Zoo in Switzerland
- A 5-year-old Siberian tiger attacked and killed a zookeeper Saturday at Switzerland's Zurich Zoo as other staff and guests looked on in horror. The BBC reports the attack on the 55-year-old keeper happened just after 1pm local time in the tiger enclosure, where Irina, the female tiger who went...
Learns Mama Bears
Don't Mess Around
Jun 25, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Yellowstone Tourist Learns Mama Bears Don't Mess Around
Missouri tourist escapes with minor injuries after attack by grizzly
- Visitors strolling along a path with a name like Fairy Falls Trail wouldn't be unreasonable to envision a relaxing, enchanting walk surrounded by picturesque scenery. For one tourist in Yellowstone National Park this week, however, her saunter was anything but idyllic. Per a National Park Service release cited by...
She Was Napping in Backyard.
Then: 'It Immediately Attacked'
Jun 20, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
She Was Napping in Backyard. Then: 'It Immediately Attacked'
Southern California teen escapes black bear by hitting it with her laptop
- A California teen received an unpleasant awakening from a nap this week, but she's lived to tell the tale, thanks to her computer. Per
, the unidentified 19-year-old was snoozing Monday evening in a chair in the backyard of a home in Sierra Madre when suddenly, "she...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Leads on How Live Ammo May Have Gotten on Rust Set
Chief of Staff: Trump Tested Positive, Didn't Reveal It
Before Oxford High School Shooting, Rumors of Attack
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
'I Saw People Dying in Front of Me'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.