Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Killed in
Shark Attack Off Mexico
Dec 4, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Woman Killed in Shark Attack Off Mexico
26-year-old was swimming with her daughter in Melaque
- A Mexican woman died after she was severely bitten in the leg by a shark in the Pacific Ocean off the beach town of Melaque, authorities said Sunday. Rafael Araiza, the head of the local civil defense office, said the attack occurred Saturday a short distance from the beach in...
Man Uses Unusual Method
to Fend Off Crocodile Attack
Nov 11, 2023 10:44 AM CST
Man Uses Unusual Method to Fend Off Crocodile Attack
Australian farmer survives mauling after biting his predator on the eyelid
- "Hey, whatever works" is an Australian cattle farmer's apparent M.O. when it comes to fighting off crocodile attacks. ABC Australia reports that Colin Deveraux, in his mid-60s, was set to be released from the Northern Territory's Royal Darwin Hospital this week after spending almost a month...
After Decade Without Fatal Bear
Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
Nov 9, 2023 5:05 PM CST
After Decade Without Fatal Bear Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
College student among at least 5 people thought to have been killed by bears this year
- Prior to this year, no fatal bear attacks were reported in Japan for more than a decade. Now, police in the country are investigating what's thought to be at least the fifth such attack of 2023. Police on the northern Hokkaido island, where brown bears roam, say the body...
Feeding Elk May Have
Been Her Final Act
Nov 8, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Feeding Elk May Have Been Her Final Act
Woman trampled in what's now considered the first fatal elk attack in Arizona history
- An Arizona woman has died eight days after she was apparently trampled by elk she may have been feeding outside her home. It's thought to be the first fatal elk attack in state history, according to the Arizona Game and Fish Department, which describes five known attacks in as...
Mauled by Shark 'in
the Blink of an Eye'
Nov 1, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
Surfer Fatally Mauled by Shark 'in the Blink of an Eye'
Police are now hunting for body of man off coast of South Australia after Tuesday attack
- A surfboard with a bite mark is all that remained after a surfer off of South Australia's Eyre Peninsula was dragged under the water Tuesday by what witnesses believe was a great white shark. Police confirm they're now looking for the 55-year-old man's body, per 7NEWS , which...
Women Sue After Airbnb
Turns Into 'House of Horror'
Oct 31, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Women Sue After Airbnb Turns Into 'House of Horror'
Suit against rental site, Michigan homeowners comes after women say they were attacked by bats
- According to its Airbnb listing, the "Castle House" in Alpena, Michigan, is an "incredible historic home" that's "bursting with charm." According to a group of eight women who rented the abode earlier this year, the place is actually like a "horror movie," complete...
Zookeeper Killed While
Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
Sep 12, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Zookeeper Killed While Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
The 33-year-old woman's husband tried to save her
- A rhinoceros attacked a married couple working as zookeepers in Austria on Tuesday, killing the woman and seriously injuring the man as he attempted to save her, authorities said. The attack happened at the Hellbrunn Zoo in the western Austrian city of Salzburg. Zoo director Sabine Grebner told reporters that...
Man on Bear
One Way Out
'Was Through Me'
Aug 5, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Man on Bear Encounter: Its One Way Out 'Was Through Me'
Pennsylvania's John Swartz is OK after bear hiding in his garage bit him on the head
- A Pennsylvania man says he's paying a lot more attention to his surroundings after a surprise attack by a bear in the garage of his home. John Swartz, 60, and his wife Lori, 59, were watching TV at their home outside Danville on the evening of July 27 when...
4 People Attacked by
Dolphins on Japan Beach
Jul 17, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
4 People Attacked by Dolphins on Japan Beach
Officials are warning swimmers away from the water if dolphins are seen
- Over the course of one day on a central Japan beach, four people were attacked by dolphins. Early Sunday, a man in his 60s was attacked a few yards off the popular Suishohama Beach in the town of Mihama, Fukui prefecture; he was left with broken ribs and bites to...
Thanks to a Hawk
Jul 13, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Residents Here Aren't Getting Their Mail, Thanks to a Hawk
USPS says delivery can't resume in Travis Heights area of Austin until aggressive bird stops attacking
- Residents in one Texas neighborhood won't be finding mail in their mailboxes for a few weeks, all because of an aggressive hawk who's been harassing the locals. Axios Austin first reported on Friday that the US Postal Service has suspended mail delivery to the Travis Heights section of...
He Was Told Not to
Put Hands in Water.
Shark Explains Why
Jun 27, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
He Was Told Not to Put Hands in Water. Shark Explains Why
Florida fisherman bloodied by suspected bull shark after ignoring friend's advice
- The fisherman only wanted to rinse his hands. But it was a move the Florida man will be cursing himself for after a shark apparently mistook his hands for a tasty fish. The unidentified man was fishing with a group in Everglades National Park on Friday morning when he leaned...
Aggressive Orcas Set Their
Sights on Elite Yacht Race
Jun 24, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Aggressive Orcas Set Their Sights on Elite Yacht Race
Pod of killer whales goes after boats taking part in around-the-world Ocean Race near Spain
- A pod of killer whales bumped one of the boats in an endurance sailing race as it approached the Strait of Gibraltar, the latest encounter in what researchers say is a growing trend of sometimes-aggressive interactions with Iberian orcas. The 15-minute run-in with at least three of the giant mammals...
'Simply in Wrong
Place, at Wrong Time'
May 30, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Snorkeler Was 'Simply in Wrong Place, at Wrong Time'
Marcus McGowan managed to pry crocodile's jaws off his head in waters off north coast of Australia
- A snorkeling adventure at a swanky Queensland resort led to a most terrifying crocodile encounter for one Australian man. The BBC and
report that 51-year-old Marcus McGowan was in the water with his wife and friends on Saturday near the Sir Charles Hardy Islands, about 17 miles from the...
He Went Outside
the Bar to Pee.
A Gator Awaited
May 24, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
He Went Outside the Bar to Pee. A Gator Awaited
Jordan Rivera, who lost arm in alligator attack: 'It's not the end of the world'
- For a guy who just lost part of his arm to an alligator, Jordan Rivera has a remarkably good attitude. The 23-year-old was at Banditos Bar in Port Charlotte, Florida, early Sunday when he had to use the bathroom, per WBBH . The lines for the restroom were long, however, so...
Ohio 911 Call: 'His Arm
Had Been Bitten Off by a Zebra'
Mar 14, 2023 2:25 PM CDT
Ohio 911 Call: 'His Arm Had Been Bitten Off by a Zebra'
Ronald Clifton, 72, likely won't lose his right arm after all
- The 911 call was worse than the reality, but the reality wasn't great: A Pickaway County Sheriff’s Office report quotes the Sunday call as requesting help for an Ohio man who had "his arm ... bitten off by a zebra." Deputies who arrived at the Circleville home...
Mother, Son Die in
Rare Polar Bear Attack
Jan 19, 2023 1:29 AM CST
Mother, Son Die in Rare Polar Bear Attack
Fatal polar bear mauling took place in isolated town of Wales
- It was a 24-year-old mother and her 1-year-old son who were killed in a rare polar bear attack in a small, remote Alaska Native whaling village Tuesday. Authorities identified the victims as Summer Myomick, who split her time between Wales, where the attack took place, and Saint Michael; and her...
21 Injured After Dogs
Attack School Playground
Dec 23, 2022 2:06 PM CST
21 Injured After Dogs Attack School Playground
18 students, 3 teachers hurt in Willard, Missouri; most injuries, were minor and not from the animals
- A pair of dogs set off bedlam when they entered a school playground in Willard, Missouri, and went after students, reports the
. Three students and three teachers ended up at the hospital for bites, scratches, or other injuries, and another 15 students had lesser injuries and were treated...
Police: 4-Day-Old Infant
Killed by Family Dog
Dec 23, 2022 9:42 AM CST
Police: 4-Day-Old Infant Killed by Family Dog
An investigation in Cave Springs, Arkansas, is ongoing after newborn is fatally mauled
- Arkansas police say a newborn girl was killed earlier this month after her family's dog fatally mauled her. Lt. Keith Lawson of the Cave Springs Police Department tells KNWA the attack took place at the unidentified family's home shortly after noon on Dec. 14. Gray News and 40/29...
The Bear Attacked, So She
'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Oct 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
The Bear Attacked, So She 'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Woman survives ambush by black bear in Washington state while walking dog
- A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive after a routine morning task ended up with her fighting an unexpected visitor. Per the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, the resident in the mountainous town of Leavenworth brought her dog outside for a walk around 7am Saturday, when...
With Giraffe at
Oct 20, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Encounter With Giraffe at Game Preserve Turns Deadly
Toddler dies, mother in critical condition following incident in South Africa
- A toddler has died and her mother is fighting for her life after the pair were reportedly trampled by a giraffe on a South African game preserve. The incident happened around 4pm local time on Wednesday at the luxury Kuleni Game Park in KwaZulu-Natal province on the country's east...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.