Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Gamer Sentenced for
Role in Deadly 'Swatting'
Sep 26, 2022 6:46 PM CDT
Gamer Sentenced for Role in Deadly 'Swatting'
Cops killed innocent man at fake address Shane Gaskill gave rival gamer
- A Wichita man was sentenced Monday to 18 months in prison for his role in a hoax phone call that led police to shoot and kill an innocent man in 2017. Shane Gaskill, who was 19 at the time of the crime, was sentenced after pleading guilty in May to...
Marjorie Taylor Greene
Says She Was 'Swatting' Victim
Aug 24, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Says She Was 'Swatting' Victim
911 caller claimed man was shot 5 times at her home
- Police in northwest Georgia say they're investigating a bogus 911 call received early Wednesday that claimed a person had been shot multiple times at a residence in Rome, Floyd County. Debbie Burnett, Rome's assistant police chief, says officers responding to the call discovered it was the home of...
Teen Pleads Guilty After
Grandfather Dies in 'Swatting'
Jul 25, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Teen Pleads Guilty After Grandfather Dies in 'Swatting'
Mark Herring, 60, was being pressured to give up his Twitter handle
- A teenager wanted a Twitter handle, and now a 60-year-old grandfather is dead. Federal prosecutors say Shane Sonderman pressured Mark Herring to give up @Tennessee, which Herring had been using since 2008. Herring’s family say they were harassed for hours with messages, unasked-for pizza deliveries, and false reports of...
Cops Getting Irked at Bogus
911 Calls for J-Lo's Home
Jun 11, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Cops Getting Irked at Bogus 911 Calls for J-Lo's Home
The 'swatting' has been going on for months
- Back in March, reports emerged that Jennifer Lopez had become a "swatting" victim of sorts, with more than a dozen 911 calls made since mid-January that brought police to her Los Angeles-area home—only for cops to find no one was home and that the complaints, which ranged from...
Teen Charged in 'Swatting'
Ring Linked to Neo-Nazis
Jan 14, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Teen Charged in 'Swatting' Ring Linked to Neo-Nazis
John William Kirby Kelley, 19, was charged last week
- The US Justice Department has charged a former Virginia college student with calling in fake emergencies to prompt law enforcement responses, in coordination with a group the FBI labelled as sympathetic to neo-Nazi ideology, the AP reports. John William Kirby Kelley, 19, was charged last week with conspiracy to make...
Gamer Gets 15 Months
for 'Harmless Prank'
Sep 14, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Gamer Gets 15 Months for 'Harmless Prank'
But Casey Viner's prank got someone killed
- An Ohio gamer upset about a $1.50 bet while playing
Call of Duty: WWII
online was sentenced Friday to 15 months in prison for recruiting a prankster to make a bogus emergency call that resulted in the fatal shooting of a Kansas man by police, the AP reports. Casey...
Jul 2, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Well-Known Columnist Apparently Got 'Swatted'
Someone called cops, told them Leonard Pitts Jr.'s wife was being murdered in their home
- "It was an interesting way to start the morning," says columnist Leonard Pitts Jr., and that may be just a bit of an understatement. After someone made a hoax call to police reporting that the wife of the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist was being murdered inside their Bowie, Md....
'Swatter' Going to Prison
for 20 Years Over Fake Calls
Mar 29, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
'Swatter' Going to Prison for 20 Years Over Fake Calls
One Tyler Barriss stunt got a man killed in Kansas
- A 26-year-old man is going to federal prison for 20 years because of his prolific "swatting"—calling in phony reports of emergencies to police. In the worst case, a fake call that Tyler Barriss of Los Angeles made to police in Kansas about a hostage situation got a...
'Swatter' in Fatal Case
Nov 14, 2018 10:25 AM CST
'Swatter' in Fatal Case Pleads Guilty
Tyler Barriss faces 20 to 25 years in federal case, still faces trial on state charges
- The man who "swatted" another in a prank that ended with the second man dead pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday. Tyler Barriss, 26, pleaded guilty to 51 federal charges related to not just the fatal hoax 911 call on Dec. 28, 2017, but also bomb threats against FCC...
Home of Parkland
Jun 5, 2018 1:12 PM CDT
Home of Parkland Survivor, Activist 'Swatted'
Someone called in a hoax hostage situation, causing police to respond to David Hogg's home
- David Hogg, the Parkland school shooting survivor who has been called an actor by a GOP aide and a liar by a political candidate , bullied by conspiracy theorists , mocked by Laura Ingraham , called rude names by Sylvester Stallone's brother , and threatened by a TV commentator , endured more fallout from...
No Charges for Officer Who
Killed Victim of 'Swatting' Prank
Apr 12, 2018 6:57 PM CDT
No Charges for Officer Who Killed Victim of 'Swatting' Prank
Andrew Finch's family has filed a civil suit
- The Kansas police officer who fired the shot that killed a man during a hoax emergency call will not face criminal charges, a prosecutor announced Thursday. District Attorney Marc Bennett said there was reasonable concern at the time that Andrew Finch may have been armed with a weapon, the AP...
Arrest Made in Prank Call That
Led to Fatal Police Shooting
Dec 30, 2017 12:14 PM CST
Arrest Made in Prank Call That Led to Fatal Police Shooting
Tyler Barriss arrested in California in connection to death of man in Kansas
- Police have arrested a 25-year-old man in Los Angeles in connection with a "swatting" prank that left a 28-year-old Kansas man dead Thursday night, KWCH reports. Tyler Barriss, arrested Friday afternoon, is accused of making a false report to police. He was arrested two years ago in connection to...
Police Kill Man in
Apparent 'Swatting' Prank
Dec 29, 2017 5:45 PM CST
Police Kill Man in Apparent 'Swatting' Prank
Sources say it started as argument between strangers over video game
- A 28-year-old man in Kansas was reportedly killed by police Thursday night over a $1.50 bet made on a video game by two strangers. After receiving a call about someone shooting their father and holding their family hostage, police responded en masse to a house in Wichita, the
Charlottesville Rally Organizer
Arrested for Alleged Doxing
Oct 18, 2017 12:15 PM CDT
Charlottesville Rally Organizer Arrested for Alleged Doxing
Jason Kessler says it wasn't him who outed info of protester
- The organizer of the Charlottesville white supremacist rally is wanted by police for allegedly doxing a protester at the rally. Jason Kessler is accused of tweeting Emily Gorcenski's name, address, and a photograph of her home on Oct. 3; five days later, someone followed up the doxing with a...
Bomb Threats Reported
at Schools in 18 States
May 24, 2016 8:00 AM CDT
Bomb Threats Reported at Schools in 18 States
Robocalls believed to be 'swatting' hoaxes
- Schools across the nation were hit by a wave of robocall bomb threats Monday, closing buildings and forcing the evacuation of thousands of students,
reports. Elementary, middle, and high schools in at least 18 states were targeted, and security expert Ken Trump says the automated calls seem to...
Pull a Swatting Prank,
Spend 2 Decades
in Jail? Maybe
Apr 29, 2016 12:49 PM CDT
Pull a Swatting Prank, Spend 2 Decades in Jail? Maybe
The bill just passed a committee vote
- It's a "potentially lethal" prank that could soon be attached to some pretty serious legal consequences. The
reports a bill that would make the penalty for swatting—calling in false threats to prompt an armed law enforcement response on unsuspecting victims—up to 20 years in...
Fake AP News Tweet
Sends Dow Plunging
Apr 23, 2013 1:15 PM CDT
Fake AP News Tweet Sends Dow Plunging
Hacked account falsely claims White House explosions
- Hackers got their hands on AP's Twitter feed today and briefly sent blood pressures racing with an afternoon tweet that President Obama had been injured in a pair of White House explosions, reports the Huffington Post . The
AP tweeted minutes later that it was a hoax and suspended...
New Prank Trend: Sic SWAT Teams on Celeb Homes
Nov 28, 2012 2:44 PM CST
New Prank Trend: Sic SWAT Teams on Celeb Homes
'Swatting' proving difficult for authorities stamp out
- Pranksters' latest hoax of choice: make a fake distress call reporting hostages or armed robbers at an address that happens to belong to a celebrity, thus sending authorities—hopefully a SWAT team—to the star's home. Simon Cowell was the most recent victim of "swatting," with a...
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.