Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Locals Say Everyone Knew
Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Jun 28, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Locals Say Everyone Knew Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Missouri farmer posted video saying that very thing on June 11
- A fourth person has died due to injuries suffered when an Amtrak train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday afternoon in a remote area of Missouri, reports the AP . They are the third passenger to die; the driver of the dump truck was...
Train Derails After Hitting
Dump Truck, Killing 3
Jun 27, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Train Derails After Hitting Dump Truck, Killing 3
Dozens are injured, Missouri officials say
- A passenger train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday in a remote area of Missouri, killing three people and injuring dozens more. Two of the people who died were on the Amtrak train, and one was in the truck, Highway Patrol spokesman Cpl....
Missouri Moves Fast
to Outlaw Abortion
Jun 24, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Missouri Moves Fast to Outlaw Abortion
After Supreme Court's Roe decision, focus turns to the states
- The Supreme Court's landmark decision to overturn Roe v. Wade is expected to lead to abortion bans in about half the states. But how quickly those bans kick in varies across the country. A number of states have "trigger laws" that were activated by Friday's Supreme Court...
1 in 5 US Pregnancies
Ended in Abortion in 2020
Jun 15, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
1 in 5 US Pregnancies Ended in Abortion in 2020
Abortion is on the rise in all regions, even as Supreme Court looks poised to curtail access
- One in five pregnancies in the US in 2020 ended in abortion, according to research group Guttmacher Institute , which campaigns for abortion access and says the impact of a Roe v. Wade reversal will be even more devastating than previously thought. US abortions increased 8% from 2017, when there were...
Escaped Missouri Inmate
Recaptured in Wyoming
Jun 9, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Escaped Missouri Inmate Recaptured in Wyoming
2 others are still at large
- An escaped inmate from Missouri was recaptured Wednesday more than 900 miles away, near Casper, Wyo., authorities say. The Mills Police Department says Christopher Blevins was captured after local law enforcement was informed he could be at a truck stop in the area, NBC News reports. The 37-year-old inmate, who...
SCOTUS Declines Case
of Gun-Waving St. Louis Couple
Jun 6, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
SCOTUS Declines Case of Gun-Waving St. Louis Couple
McCloskeys appealed sanctions on law licenses
- The Supreme Court has declined to hear the case of Mark and Patricia McCloskey, the St. Louis couple who pointed guns at Black Lives Matter protesters near their home in 2020. Mark McCloskey—a Republican who is running for a US Senate seat —and his wife are both lawyers,...
Executed in Missouri
May 3, 2022 9:14 PM CDT
Carman Deck Executed in Missouri
It's the country's 5th execution this year
- A Missouri man who killed a couple during a robbery at their rural home more than a quarter of a century ago was put to death Tuesday, becoming just the fifth person executed in the United States this year, the AP reports. Carman Deck, 56, died by injection at the...
All Charges Dismissed
in Duck Boat Accident
That Killed 17
Apr 6, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
All Charges Dismissed in Duck Boat Accident That Killed 17
But prosecutors say they want to refile
- All criminal charges against three employees involved in a deadly 2018 duck boat accident have been dropped. Kenneth Scott McKee, the captain; Charles Baltzell, the manager on duty; and Curtis Lanham, general manager, had all been charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the tragedy in Branson, Missouri, that...
Young Cousins Killed When Gun
Goes Off During Livestream
Mar 28, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Young Cousins Killed When Gun Goes Off During Livestream
Police called it murder-suicide, but family says shootings were accidental
- Two young cousins were shot to death while livestreaming on Instagram during a family birthday party on Friday. St. Louis police first called the deaths of Paris Harvey, 12, and Kuaron Harvey, 14, a murder-suicide, but family members said the shootings were an accident,
reports. The cousins were...
Ex-Governor of Missouri
Urged to Quit Senate Race
After Abuse Allegations
Mar 21, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Ex-Governor of Missouri Urged to Quit Senate Race After Abuse Allegations
Ex-wife accuses Eric Greitens of 'coercive and unstable behavior'
- Eric Greitens, who resigned as Missouri governor amid multiple scandals in 2018, was urged to end his campaign for US Senate on Monday after another scandal surfaced. In court papers, Sheena Greitens, the Republican candidate's former wife, accused him of being physically abusive toward her and their children, the...
Deadly Scene on Missouri
Interstate Like a 'War Movie'
Mar 18, 2022 4:24 AM CDT
Deadly Scene on Missouri Interstate Like a 'War Movie'
Crashes happened in thick fog on I-57
- Chain-reaction collisions involving dozens of vehicles on a foggy interstate in southeast Missouri caused at least six deaths and multiple injuries, and part of the highway will be closed until further notice, officials say. The collisions began about 8am on Interstate 57 as thick fog enveloped the Charleston area, about...
Missouri Proposal Could Signal
New Anti-Abortion Strategy
Mar 9, 2022 8:01 AM CST
Missouri Proposal Could Signal New Anti-Abortion Strategy
It seeks to ban out-of-state abortions with enforcement by private citizens
- It's not only in Texas that women are getting around a strict abortion law by traveling out of state or buying abortion pills online. The same thing is playing out in states including Missouri, which passed a law in 2019 making abortion illegal after eight weeks of pregnancy including...
Destruction,' a Family
Loses 4 Members
Mar 7, 2022 7:43 AM CST
After 'Unimaginable Destruction,' a Family Loses 4 Members
Tornado in Winterset, Iowa, kills grandma, as well as son-in-law, 2 grandkids visiting from Missouri
- The deadly tornadoes that swept through central Iowa over the weekend caused "unimaginable destruction," per Gov. Kim Reynolds. But for one family, the tragedy hit particularly hard, as four members hiding out in a house in Madison County perished during the storm. KMBC reports that 37-year-old Michael Bolger,...
Suit: Our Son
Was Forced to
Drink Bottle of
Vodka as Pledge
Feb 3, 2022 8:37 AM CST
Suit: Our Son Was Forced to Drink Bottle of Vodka as Pledge
Parents of Mizzou student Daniel Santulli file hazing complaint against Phi Gamma Delta
- The parents of a Minnesota man allege in a lawsuit that he has been unresponsive and requires constant medical care since being forced to drink a bottle of vodka at a fraternity at the University of Missouri, reports the AP . Daniel Santulli, 19, of Eden Prairie, Minn., was found in...
Charges Dropped After
Ex-Teacher Marries Student
Feb 2, 2022 1:11 PM CST
Charges Dropped After Ex-Teacher Marries Student
Baylee Turner was accused of having sex with student at Missouri high school
- Prosecutors in Missouri have dropped a sex-crime charge against a former teacher who married the student she allegedly had sex with. Baylee Turner, now 26, was 23 in February 2019, when she was charged with having sexual contact with a male student at Sarcoxie High School. She taught English at...
No, Missouri, the Joker
Isn't on the Loose
Jan 20, 2022 11:19 AM CST
No, Missouri, the Joker Isn't on the Loose
Highway patrol accidentally sends out a fake alert
- This week, people in Missouri got an emergency alert on their phones about a suspicious vehicle with the license plate "UKIDME." The message that buzzed on their phones read: “GOTHAM CITY MO PURPLE/GREEN 1978 DODGE 3700 GT MO UKIDME," per Fox News . There is no Gotham...
For 7 Years, He Led a Double
Life. Then He Became a Killer
in case you missed it
Jan 9, 2022 4:45 PM CST
For 7 Years, He Led a Double Life. Then He Became a Killer
Missouri man James Addie murdered his fiancee 2 days before wedding
- Two days before Missouri man James Addie was due to become a bigamist, he became a murderer instead. The prison officer's double life was exposed after the body of fiancee Molly Watson was found on a backroad on April 27, 2018. The 35-year-old, who was still wearing her engagement...
for Antlers Solves
Dec 28, 2021 2:06 PM CST
Man Hunting for Antlers Solves 2-Year-Old Mystery
Skeletal remains of missing MMA fighter turn up instead
- A man looking for deer antlers in the Missouri woods came across something much more grim—the skeletal remains of a missing amateur MMA fighter. The fighter, David Koenig, was staying at a friend’s motel in Branson, Missouri, when he texted friends that he might be in trouble, NBC...
She Allegedly Killed Boyfriend
With Sword on Christmas Eve
Dec 27, 2021 4:10 AM CST
She Allegedly Killed Boyfriend With Sword on Christmas Eve
Brittany Wilson, 32, charged with first-degree murder in Missouri
- On Christmas Eve, a Missouri woman called police around 11pm to report she'd killed her boyfriend with a sword, authorities say. Cape Girardeau police arrived to find Brittany Wilson, 32, with bloody clothes outside the home she shared with her boyfriend, Harrison Stephen Foster, 34, KFVS reports. A sword...
School Bus Hits, Kills
First-Grader: 'We're Hurting'
Dec 22, 2021 7:11 AM CST
School Bus Hits, Kills First-Grader: 'We're Hurting'
Investigators are looking into accident in Jefferson County
- At the end of the school day on the last day of school before winter break in Missouri's Jefferson County, tragedy for the family of one first-grader. The
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports that the little boy, who hasn't been identified, had just gotten off his school bus at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
Another City Angry Over a Police Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.