Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Good News
for Many With
Mar 13, 2023 8:36 AM CDT
It's Good News for Many With Prostate Cancer
Study suggests careful monitoring can replace more radical treatment for lots of patients
- For many men diagnosed with prostate cancer, a new long-term study offers a silver lining: They should be able to skip surgery or radiation and instead opt for careful monitoring of the disease, reports STAT News . British researchers found that men with low-grade or intermediate-grade tumors who did so fared...
on Results of Cancer
Dec 15, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Researcher 'Shocked' on Results of Cancer Screening Study
Recommended tests find just 14% of diagnosed cancers in US, report finds
- Cancer screening is great, but it's not perfect. According to a new report, just 14% of all diagnosed cancers in the US are detected with a recommended screening test, while 15% of screenable cancers aren't detected by screening. The vast majority of cancers are actually found when a...
His New Jail Sentence
Jan 29, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Star Hears His New Jail Sentence
'Joe Exotic,' aka Joseph Maldonado-Passage, gets 21 years instead of 22 in resentencing
Joseph Maldonado-Passage will be serving a little less time behind bars than expected. On Friday, an Oklahoma City federal judge resentenced the
star, also known as "Joe Exotic," to 21 years in prison—one year less than the original sentence in his murder-for-hire case, reports...
Actor Dead at 59
Oct 25, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Actor Dead at 59
James Michael Tyler, who played Gunther, had prostate cancer
James Michael Tyler, aka coffee shop manager Gunther on
, died Sunday at age 59, his rep tells CNN . "The world knew him as Gunther (the seventh "Friend"), from the hit series
, but Michael's loved ones knew him as an actor, musician, cancer-awareness advocate,...
Al Roker Reveals
Nov 6, 2020 10:09 AM CST
Al Roker Reveals Cancer Diagnosis
He will undergo surgery to remove prostate
- Al Roker has long advocated for men to be checked for prostate cancer. Now, he's thankful he followed his own advice. The
co-host and meteorologist revealed Thursday that he's been diagnosed with prostate cancer and will undergo surgery to remove his prostate next week. "Good news...
Reveals Cancer Fight
Sep 16, 2019 12:46 PM CDT
Rod Stewart Reveals Cancer Fight
He secretly battled prostate cancer, but has been given the all-clear
- Rod Stewart just revealed that he was diagnosed with cancer—but the diagnosis came in 2016, and this July he was given the all-clear, CNN reports. "Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer," the singer revealed at a fundraising event for the Prostate Project nonprofit...
In Recusal, Judge Calls
Insurer's Decision 'Barbaric'
May 16, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
In Recusal, Judge Calls Insurer's Decision 'Barbaric'
UnitedHealthcare wouldn't pay for proton beam therapy
- A class-action lawsuit against an insurer for denying cancer patients coverage of an alternative to standard radiation treatment happened to come before a judge with the same complaint—against the same company. The federal judge recused himself, CNN reports, but not before giving UnitedHealthcare an earful, calling the insurer's...
Kanye's Dad Beat
Was ... Interesting
Oct 3, 2018 11:54 AM CDT
Kanye's Dad Beat Cancer. Their Celebratory Meal Was ... Interesting
- Kanye West (or "Ye," as he now likes to be called) has been making headlines as of late, stumping for Trump on
Saturday Night Live
and irritating the likes of Lana Del Rey with his comments on the 13
Amendment. His latest stunt involves a bonding experience with...
Bishop Who Enchanted
Royal Wedding Has Cancer
Jul 29, 2018 8:05 AM CDT
Bishop Who Enchanted Royal Wedding Has Cancer
Michael Curry says 'do say a prayer,' will have surgery Tuesday
- Bishop Michael Curry, whose distinctly American sermon on the power of love stole the Prince Harry-Meghan Markle show , has prostate cancer, reports WJZ-TV . The Baltimore Episcopalian was diagnosed a few months ago at an annual physical, meaning he likely knew his prognosis at the time of the royal wedding. He'...
Is Your Cell Phone Trying to Kill
You? New Study Says 'Maybe'
Apr 28, 2018 5:29 PM CDT
Is Your Cell Phone Trying to Kill You? New Study Says 'Maybe'
Study links blue-light emission with two kinds of cancer
- Love that blue light? You might want to back away, according to a sobering new study . An international team of researchers led by the Barcelona Institute for Global Health has found that exposure to blue light at night may increase your risk of developing breast or prostate cancer, reports
Report: Mitt Romney
Had Prostate Cancer
Jan 8, 2018 1:49 PM CST
Report: Mitt Romney Had Prostate Cancer
Per a CNN source who says the prognosis is good
- Mitt Romney's name has grabbed headlines lately on the heels of Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch's retirement announcement as a likely successor. Now, news of a different sort, by way of a CNN source who says the Republican was "treated surgically" for prostate cancer over the summer at...
Obituary: 'I Wish
I Had Done More'
Oct 6, 2017 2:47 PM CDT
Journalist Writes Own Obituary: 'I Wish I Had Done More'
Mark Mooney died Friday of prostate cancer at 66
- "If you are reading this, that means that I am no longer here," Mark Mooney writes in the final entry of his blog,
Closing in on -30-
, which he started in October 2016 after being given two years to live by a doctor. The former reporter and...
a Blood Test
'Saved My Life'
Oct 4, 2016 9:31 AM CDT
Ben Stiller: a Blood Test 'Saved My Life'
Actor diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 years ago
- Ben Stiller says he survived prostate cancer thanks to a routine test. The 50-year-old actor told the
Howard Stern Show
on Tuesday that a blood test used to screen for prostate cancer—known as a prostate-specific antigen test—first showed cause for alarm before an MRI and biopsy confirmed he...
Doesn't Save Lives
Sep 15, 2016 1:51 PM CDT
Treating Early Prostate Cancer Doesn't Save Lives
10-year survival rate is equal for men who choose treatment over monitoring
- There is no difference in the survival rate for men with early prostate cancer who opt for treatment, such as surgery or radiation, and those who simply monitor their cancer, a new study found. In fact, the 10-year survival rate was so high—99%—that researchers are calling into question...
Bionic Butt Could Lead
to Better Prostate Exams
Jul 9, 2016 2:55 PM CDT
Bionic Butt Could Lead to Better Prostate Exams
Next up: one for gynecological training
- Let's face it, the medical standard for diagnosing the second most common cancer in men is rather, well, unrefined: a doctor inserts his or her index finger into the anus and feels around for any hard masses on the prostate gland. It should be no surprise, then, that men...
Apr 7, 2016 7:03 AM CDT
'Bad' Carbs Nearly Double Cancer Risk
The link is especially strong to prostate cancer
- Meat is often the bad guy linked to higher cancer rates: The World Health Organization says bacon is carcinogenic and red meats in general "probably" are, while grilling meats is linked to higher kidney cancer rates . But researchers out of New York University report in ScienceDaily that their latest...
Bret Hart Fights
Feb 2, 2016 7:44 AM CST
Ex-WWE Star Bret Hart Fights 'Toughest Battle': Cancer
Says he'll 'wage fearsome fight' against prostate cancer
- The ex-professional wrestler known to his fans as "The Hitman" has just taken a hit of his own. Bret Hart has prostate cancer, he told fans in an Instagram post Monday, and he says he'll be having surgery within days, ESPN reports. "Mark Helprin wrote: 'We...
Sleeping With 20+
Guys' Cancer Risk
Nov 2, 2014 11:34 AM CST
Sleeping With 20+ Women Cuts Guys' Cancer Risk
Possibly because of frequent ejaculation
- One defense against prostate cancer may be promiscuity. A study of men in Montreal finds that those who'd slept with more than 20 women had a 28% lower risk of prostate cancer than did men who'd had sex with just one woman,
reports. As for virgins,...
Is Prostate Cancer an STD?
May 20, 2014 7:34 AM CDT
Is Prostate Cancer an STD?
Researchers link it to infection
- Prostate cancer may be tied to an infection transmitted during sex, researchers report. They call for more investigation into the possibility that the cancer could be associated with trichomoniasis, the world's most common non-viral sexually transmitted infection. Trichomoniasis affects some 275 million people, the BBC reports, and many have...
Dead at 71
Mar 11, 2014 7:21 AM CDT
Palin Nemesis, Author Joe McGinniss Dead at 71
'Fatal Vision' writer, Palin provocateur suffered from prostate cancer
- Joe McGinniss, the bestselling author of books that ranged from politics to true crime, and more recently the provocateur behind the most famous fence in Wasilla , has died at the age of 71. McGinniss announced last year that he'd been diagnosed with inoperable prostate cancer; he died yesterday in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.