Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
VP Harris Swears
in 3 New Senators
Jan 20, 2021 5:59 PM CST
VP Harris Swears in 3 New Senators
Chuck Schumer is now Senate Majority Leader
- Vice President Kamala Harris is now also president of the Senate—and Sen. Chuck Schumer is now Senate Majority Leader. Democrats regained control of the chamber Wednesday after Harris swore in three new Democratic senators: Sens. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, whose Georgia election wins were certified Tuesday , and Sen....
New VP Will Swear in
2 New Senators
Jan 19, 2021 6:37 PM CST
New VP Will Swear in 2 New Senators
Georgia certifies Warnock, Ossoff wins
- America will be getting two new senators as well as a new president and vice president on Wednesday. The campaigns of Democratic senators-elect Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff say they will be sworn in at 4:30pm Eastern by Kamala Harris in her capacity as vice president, the
Perdue Concedes, Won't
Fight Democrat's Win
Jan 8, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Perdue Concedes, Won't Fight Democrat's Win
Neither Georgia winner faces any challenges before taking office
- Georgia's two new senators will be able to take the oath of office without the possibility of challenges from their Republican opponents hanging over their heads. Sen. David Perdue conceded Friday, a day after Sen. Kelly Loeffler, the
reports. Perdue congratulated "the Democratic Party and my...
Democrats Retake Senate
as Ossoff Wins in Georgia
Jan 6, 2021 3:31 PM CST
Democrats Retake Senate as Ossoff Wins in Georgia
News comes amid bedlam in DC
- Under normal circumstances, it would be the biggest story of the day: Democrat Jon Ossoff has won his Senate runoff race in Georgia, a victory that gives Democrats control of the Senate, reports the AP . Ossoff defeated GOP incumbent David Perdue in a close race, and fellow Democrat Raphael Warnock...
Warnock Wins in
Georgia Senate Runoff
Jan 6, 2021 1:51 AM CST
Warnock Wins in Georgia Senate Runoff
As Trump and his allies fume over what they say is more fraud
- The AP and other outlets have called one of two Senate runoff races in Georgia: Democrat Raphael Warnock beat incumbent Kelly Loeffler, becoming the first Black senator Georgia has ever elected. Democrats must also win the other race, which remains too close to call at the time of this posting,...
Georgia Counts Ballots
in Crucial Senate Elections
Jan 5, 2021 7:22 PM CST
Georgia Counts Ballots in Crucial Senate Elections
Polls have closed in races that will determine control of chamber
- Georgia officials began counting the final votes of the nation's turbulent 2020 election season on Tuesday night as polls closed in two critical Senate runoff races that will determine control of the US Senate and, in turn, the fate of President-elect Joe Biden’s legislative agenda. While voting was...
Trump Calls Georgia Races
'Invalid' Amid Record Voting
Jan 2, 2021 6:40 AM CST
Trump Calls Georgia Races 'Invalid' Amid Record Voting
President says state's runoff elections are 'illegal'
- Nearly 40% of all Georgia's registered voters have already cast their ballots in the US Senate runoff race. More than 3 million early votes were cast, a record in the state, Reuters reports. Early voting ended Thursday, but the votes will not be tallied until Election Day Tuesday. Per...
Trump's Move Stumps
Dec 24, 2020 3:50 PM CST
Trump's Move Stumps Georgia's Senators
Democrats back $2K stimulus checks, but Republicans haven't committed
- President Trump's insistence on increasing stimulus payments to $2,000 per person was swiftly endorsed by the Democratic candidates in Georgia's Senate runoffs. But it's put the Republicans in a quandary. Asked if she supported the idea, Sen. Kelly Loeffler said she'll think about it. "...
Polls Show Georgia
Races Are Tight
Dec 3, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Polls Show Georgia Races Are Tight
Control of the Senate hinges on 2 runoff elections next month
- With about a month to go before Georgia's crucial runoff races for the Senate, a new poll suggests tight finishes loom in both contests. In a SurveyUSA poll commissioned for 11Alive , Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff (50%) is essentially deadlocked with GOP incumbent Sen. David Perdue (48%), while in the...
Georgia Republicans Worried
About Trump's Message
Dec 1, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Georgia Republicans Worried About Trump's Message
They fear his claims of election fraud will depress GOP turnout in Senate runoffs
- President Trump's insistence that the election was rigged appears to be having an unintended effect in Georgia: Republicans are voicing concerns that his angry supporters won't turn out to vote in next month's two runoff races for the Senate because they see it as futile. Coverage:
'Center of the
Nov 11, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Georgia Is Temporarily the 'Center of the Political Universe'
Control of the US Senate will come down to the Peach State
- "For the next eight weeks, Georgia will be the center of the political universe." So writes FiveThirtyEight in explaining that control of the Senate will come down to the fewer than 5 million voters who live in Georgia. With the North Carolina Senate race decided in GOP Sen....
Got the Money
to Win Races
Nov 9, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Abrams: We've Got the Money to Win Races in Georgia
Fate of the Senate may come down to state's 2 runoff elections in January
- Stacey Abrams has been winning widespread praise among Democrats after the race in Georgia was called in Joe Biden's favor, even if victory won't be certain until a recount takes place . Now the former gubernatorial candidate is in the spotlight again as she leads Democratic fundraising efforts for...
Control of Senate May Come
Down to 2 Races Here
Nov 7, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Control of Senate May Come Down to 2 Races Here
Ga. Dem Jon Ossoff/GOP's David Perdue, Dem Raphael Warnock/GOP's Kelly Loeffler to face off
- Republican US Sen. David Perdue and Democrat Jon Ossoff will face off in a Jan. 5 runoff in Georgia for Perdue's Senate seat, one of two high-profile contests in the state that could determine which party controls the upper chamber. Libertarian candidate Shane Hazel was able to get enough...
Senator's Treatment of Name
'Kamala' Gives Boost to Rival
Oct 19, 2020 6:57 AM CDT
Senator's Treatment of Name 'Kamala' Gives Boost to Rival
David Perdue jokingly mispronounces it, and Jon Ossoff sees increase in donations
- David Perdue's perceived mocking of Kamala Harris's name worked out well ... for his political rival. The Republican senator repeatedly mispronounced the VP nominee's name while at a Friday rally for President Trump, a move decried as racist , and it spawned a trending hashtag on Twitter: #MyNameIs, in...
Young Democratic Star
Will Run for Senate
Sep 10, 2019 1:37 PM CDT
Young Democratic Star Will Run for Senate
Jon Ossoff, who lost most expensive House race in history, wants to represent Georgia
- Memo to Georgia Sen. David Perdue: Your re-election fight might be an expensive one. That's because Democrat Jon Ossoff announced Tuesday that he is joining the race to unseat the first-term Republican, reports the
. If the 32-year-old's name sounds familiar, that's because Ossoff narrowly lost...
Most Expensive House Race
Jun 21, 2017 12:45 AM CDT
Republican Wins Most Expensive House Race
Ossoff fails to pull off upset win in Georgia
- The most expensive House race in US history became an expensive loss for the Democrats Tuesday as Republican candidate Karen Handel prevailed in the special election for Georgia's 6th Congressional District. The former Georgia secretary of state won with around 52% of the vote to 48% for Democrat Jon...
Polls Close in Most Expensive
House Race in US History
Jun 20, 2017 6:43 PM CDT
Polls Close in Most Expensive House Race in US History
Jon Ossoff and Karen Handel face off in Georgia
- Most polls have closed in Georgia for a special congressional election that offers a potential preview of the 2018 midterm elections, the AP reports. A few precincts remained open Tuesday evening after a rain-soaked day in metro Atlanta. Republican Karen Handel and Democrat Jon Ossoff are expected to have a...
Trump Weighs In as Georgia
Decides Big House Race
Jun 20, 2017 7:48 AM CDT
Trump Weighs In as Georgia Decides Big House Race
Voters will decide between Democrat Jon Ossoff and Republican Karen Handel
- The House race that has become much more than a House race will be decided Tuesday in Georgia, and President Trump shot off some early tweets to support the GOP candidate. Republican Karen Handel, he wrote , "will fight for lower taxes, great healthcare," and "strong security,"...
GOP Official: Scalise Shooting
Will Win Ga. Election for Us
Jun 19, 2017 10:24 AM CDT
GOP Official: Scalise Shooting Will Win Ga. Election for Us
We find out Tuesday if it's Karen Handel or Jon Ossoff
- It's a race that's both the most expensive one for a House seat in history and down to the wire: Voters in Georgia will decide on Tuesday whether Democrat Jon Ossoff or Republican Karen Handel will fill a congressional seat for suburban Atlanta. It's incredibly tight, and...
Priciest House Race in History
Is Too Close to Call
Jun 18, 2017 1:38 PM CDT
Priciest House Race in History Is Too Close to Call
Democrat Jon Ossoff and GOP's Karen Handel vie Tuesday in Georgia runoff
- Voters in Georgia will decide on Tuesday whether Democrat Jon Ossoff or Republican Karen Handel will fill a congressional seat for suburban Atlanta, a race that has turned into the most closely watched contest since the presidential election. In fact, when factoring in money spent by the campaigns, their parties,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.