Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Matt Gaetz Defended Me, but
Allegations Are 'Reprehensible'
Apr 6, 2021 6:16 AM CDT
Matt Gaetz Defended Me, but Allegations Are 'Reprehensible'
Katie Hill, who resigned amid sex scandal, says Gaetz must do same if accusations even partly true
- New congresswoman Katie Hill resigned from Congress in 2019 during a messy scandal —nude photos of her leaked online, along with the news that she'd had a sexual relationship with a staffer. One of the few lawmakers from either party to publicly defend her was another young lawmaker,...
Gaetz Blames 'Swamp' for
Sex Trafficking Allegations
Apr 5, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Gaetz Blames 'Swamp' for Sex Trafficking Allegations
He says he is 'absolutely not resigning'
- Rep. Matt Gaetz insisted Friday that he won't resign despite reports of a federal sex trafficking investigation—and he doubled down in a
op-ed Monday. "I am a representative in Congress, not a monk, and certainly not a criminal," wrote the Republican, who blamed the...
I Won't Resign
Apr 2, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
Matt Gaetz: I Won't Resign
Lawmaker's top communications aide quits
- Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, under investigation by the Justice Department in a sex trafficking case, said rumors that he'll resign from the House are false. Gaetz called it "very safe" to say he has no plans to quit, the Hill reports. His communications director, on the other hand,...
Investigators Suspect Gaetz
Paid Women for Sex: Report
Apr 2, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
Investigators Suspect Gaetz Paid Women for Sex: Report
Sources say he bragged to House colleagues about his sexual exploits
- Insiders say the federal investigation of Rep. Matt Gaetz is focusing on alleged payments to women in return for sex—and the
New York Times
says it has seen some of the receipts. Sources tell the
that the Gaetz investigation stems from the Justice Department's investigation of his...
Matt Gaetz Case Is
Apr 1, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
Matt Gaetz Case Is Getting Complicated
He says misconduct allegations are part of extortion scheme involving his father
- Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz says a Justice Department investigation of what he calls "sexual conduct with women" is "rooted" in an extortion scheme against his wealthy family. But insiders say the alleged scheme started months after the investigation was opened during the Trump administration. Sources tell the
Gaetz: 'Sexual Conduct' Probe
Is Based on False Allegations
Mar 30, 2021 6:57 PM CDT
Gaetz: 'Sexual Conduct' Probe Is Based on False Allegations
Republican says federal investigation is linked to an extortion scheme
- Rep. Matt Gaetz has confirmed that he is under federal investigation for "sexual conduct with women"—but he says the allegations "are as searing as they are false." The conservative Florida Republican confirmed the investigation to Axios hours after the
New York Times
reported that investigators...
Rep. Matt Gaetz Acts After
Watching Britney Spears Film
Mar 10, 2021 11:40 AM CST
Rep. Matt Gaetz Acts After Watching Britney Spears Film
He joins Rep. Jim Jordan in requesting hearing on conservatorships
- The #FreeBritney movement has apparently gained the support of Reps. Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan, who this week called for a hearing into Britney Spears' conservatorship. In a letter submitted Monday, the congressmen asked the House Judiciary Committee to investigate how conservatorships might be used "to effectively deprive individuals...
New Narrative Emerges
on Right About Protests
Jan 7, 2021 10:20 AM CST
New Narrative Emerges on Right About Protests
They're blaming antifa for the violence
- In the wake of Wednesday's violence in Washington, a new narrative has emerged on the right about what happened. It boils down to this: Don't blame us, blame the far-left activists of antifa. The accusation is that members of the latter group infiltrated pro-Trump protests and turned them...
Trump Ally Tests Positive
Nov 7, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Trump Ally Tests Positive
The Florida Republican has the coronavirus antibodies
- Rep. Matt Gaetz said Saturday he has tested positive for coronavirus antibodies but doesn't have the live virus, Politico reports. The fierce ally of President Trump said he tested positive for antibodies on Election Day, doesn't know when he had COVID-19, and remains symptom-free: "Feel great,"...
Trump Jumps on GOP
Bandwagon Against Liz Cheney
Jul 23, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Trump Jumps on GOP Bandwagon Against Liz Cheney
Allies of the president say the Wyoming congresswoman has been disloyal to him
- President Trump had a busy morning on Twitter, issuing 49 tweets or retweets and an attack on the third-ranking Republican in the House, all before 10am ET. Trump joined Republican allies Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul in lambasting House GOP Conference Chairwoman Liz Cheney, who has...
About 'Son' Causes a Stir
Jun 19, 2020 6:26 AM CDT
Congressman's Revelation About 'Son' Causes a Stir
Matt Gaetz says that though he hasn't adopted Nestor Galban, 19, they're family
- Rep. Matt Gaetz caused quite a stir on Thursday when he tweeted a photo of him and a teenager, writing, "For all those wondering, this is my son Nestor. We share no blood but he is my life. He came from Cuba (legally, of course) six years ago and...
Challenge to Ted Cruz
Jun 15, 2020 6:31 PM CDT
Star Issues Challenge to Ted Cruz
Perlman says he'll donate $50K to BLM if GOP senator wrestles him
- As Hellboy, Ron Perlman battled supernatural creatures, including a reanimated Rasputin. As Ron Perlman, he has challenged Sen. Ted Cruz to a wrestling match. The 70-year-old actor invited the Republican to become part of the main event after Cruz piped up from the sidelines during a Twitter spat between Perlman...
Trump: 'Won't Be
Watching' Anthem Protests
Jun 14, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Trump: 'Won't Be Watching' Anthem Protests
President not a fan of US Soccer, NFL moves to allow player protests
- US Soccer may have reversed its stance on allowing players to kneel during the national anthem, but one high-profile viewer won't be around to watch it happen. "I won't be watching much anymore!" tweeted President Trump on Saturday in response to the move, per
Jun 2, 2020 2:27 AM CDT
Another High-Profile Republican Hit With Twitter Flag
Rep. Matt Gaetz suggested 'hunting down' antifa
- Twitter slapped a warning label on a tweet from another high-profile Republican on Monday. This time it was Rep. Matt Gaetz, a congressman from Florida whom Politico refers to as "one of President Donald Trump’s fiercest allies." After Trump said the US would declare antifa a terrorist...
Trump's Chief of Staff Is
Now in Self-Quarantine
Mar 10, 2020 5:19 AM CDT
Trump's Chief of Staff Is Now in Self-Quarantine
Rep. Matt Gaetz has also isolated himself
- Rep. Matt Gaetz, the Republican lawmaker who tweeted a photo of himself wearing a gas mask on the House floor last week, is now in self-quarantine after possible exposure to the coronavirus. Gaetz didn't wear the mask late last month when he was at the Conservative Political Action Conference...
Nov 20, 2019 7:27 AM CST
Woman Who Milkshaked Matt Gaetz Gets Time
Florida rep 'pleased' as Amanda Kondrat'yev sentenced to 15 days in jail
- The woman who threw a drink at Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz outside a town hall meeting in June will spend 15 days in jail. Amanda Kondrat'yev, who pleaded guilty to assault on a member of Congress in August, was sentenced Monday to the jail time plus a year...
Unusual Standoff Delays
Start of Impeachment Hearing
Oct 14, 2019 1:21 PM CDT
Unusual Standoff Delays Start of Impeachment Hearing
GOP's Matt Gaetz tries to sit in on testimony of Fiona Hill, but is ordered to leave
- The Trump impeachment hearings continued Monday with the closed-door testimony of a former National Security Council staffer named Fiona Hill. But not before an unusual standoff between pro-Trump Republican Matt Gaetz and Democrat Adam Schiff, who is leading the inquiry. Gaetz showed up Monday morning and tried to sit in...
Over Thrown Drink
Jun 28, 2019 7:07 AM CDT
GOP Rep. Taking Action Over Thrown Drink
'What if instead of a drink it's acid or urine?' says Matt Gaetz, who will press charges
- Florida GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz says he'll press charges against the woman who allegedly threw a drink at him earlier this month as he was leaving a town hall event in Pensacola, Fla. Gaetz told Fox News on Wednesday that such actions are "why you really see the...
Woman Arrested After
GOP Rep. 'Milkshaked'
Jun 3, 2019 4:24 AM CDT
Woman Arrested After GOP Rep. 'Milkshaked'
Matt Gaetz was hit by thrown cup
- "Milkshaking" politicians as a form of protest may have crossed the Atlantic. Police say a 25-year-old woman was arrested Saturday after throwing a drink at Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz as he left a town hall event in Florida, the Daily Dot reports. Activist Jordan Uhl tweeted video of the...
Campbell Soup Exec Gone
After Soros Conspiracy Theory
Oct 29, 2018 9:34 AM CDT
Campbell Soup Exec Gone After Soros Conspiracy Theory
Idea that billionaire is funding migrant caravan might be fueling rampages
- George Soros received one of the mail bombs sent to prominent figures on the left last week, and it's not surprising he would show up on such a mailing list: He's the topic of numerous conspiracy theories from his political opponents. Now, however, one conspiracy theory in particular—...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Backlash, Rittenhouse's Student Status Changes
CNN Suspends Chris Cuomo Indefinitely
3 Dead, 6 Injured in Michigan School Shooting
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
Clarence Thomas' Long Fight Reaches Its 'Zenith'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.