Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Warn About New iPhone
Feature, Experts Say to Chill
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2023 3:40 PM CST
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Red flag on NameDrop says user contact info could be inadvertently shared, but tech geeks say no
- A sharing feature built into Apple's latest iOS update has police departments nationwide issuing a warning to iPhone users, but security experts say the hubbub may be a bit hyped up. The new NameDrop feature allows consumers who have phones using iOS 17.1, or watchOS 10.1 on...
House GOP on
Jan. 6 Footage
Mar 18, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Capitol Police Lawyer Slams House GOP on Jan. 6 Footage
Attorney says Kevin McCarthy gave Tucker Carlson riot clips without police department approving them
- Tucker Carlson aired video from the Jan. 6 Capitol attack on his Fox News program earlier this month, courtesy of more than 40,000 hours of Capitol Police security footage handed over to him by Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy—what the
says was a "condition" Carlson...
The Case of Uber's
Is a Divisive One
Sep 7, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
The Case of Uber's Ex-Security Chief Is a Divisive One
Joe Sullivan goes on trial this week
- Data breaches that put consumer data at risk have become commonplace; this suit involving one such breach is anything but. Uber's former security chief, Joe Sullivan, goes on trial this week in US District Court in San Francisco in what's thought to be the first time an executive...
Whistleblower: Twitter Has
'Egregious' Security Gaps
Aug 23, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Whistleblower: Twitter Has 'Egregious' Security Gaps
Peiter 'Mudge' Zatko, former security chief for the social media platform, has filed a complaint
- Elon Musk has been trying to wriggle out of his $44 billion deal to buy Twitter, and two new reports from CNN and the
may help out the richest man in the world in those endeavors. Both outlets have seen a complaint filed by whistleblower Peiter Zatko, Twitter'...
Warning Puts a Damper on
Lawmakers' Use of TikTok
Aug 11, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Warning Puts a Damper on Lawmakers' Use of TikTok
Memo from chamber's Chief Administrative Office warns against app due to privacy, security concerns
- Even members of the US House of Representatives and their staff like to catch the latest viral dance video on TikTok, but a new warning from the chamber's Chief Administrative Office may have them rethinking using the popular social-media app. "We do not recommend the download or use...
Judge Gives Harry a Win
Over British Government
Jul 22, 2022 11:16 AM CDT
Judge Gives Harry a Win Over British Government
Ruling permits prince to take UK government to court over police security he wants for family
- Prince Harry can take the British government to court over his security arrangements in the UK, a judge in London ruled Friday. Harry and his wife, Meghan, lost publicly funded UK police protection when they stepped down as senior working royals and moved to North America in 2020. The prince...
Apr 14, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Zuckerberg's Security Costs Reach Princely Sums
Facebook parent Meta spent $27M last year to keep him safe
- Facebook parent company Meta saves a lot of money on salary and bonuses for its CEO, as Mark Zuckerberg receives only a token $1 per year. His security costs, on the other hand, are another story. The company revealed in an SEC filing that it paid a record $26.8...
on Pompeo Spur
Paid Security Tab
Mar 12, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Serious' Threats on Pompeo Spur Big Government- Paid Security Tab
State Dept. is reportedly paying more than $2M a month to protect ex-secretary of state, former aide
- The State Department says it's paying more than $2 million per month to provide 24-hour security to ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a former top aide, both of whom face "serious and credible" threats from Iran. The department told Congress in a report that the cost of...
Democrats Nearly Sink
Capitol Security Upgrade
May 20, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Democrats Nearly Sink Capitol Security Upgrade
Passed by a single vote, after objections over more funding for police, bill goes to Senate
- Without any help from Republicans and a group of their own members, House Democrats on Thursday approved a $1.9 billion plan to improve security at the US Capitol by a one-vote margin. Several progressive Democrats either sat out the vote or voted no, arguing that the Trump supporters who...
Cost of Secret Service
for Trump Children Multiplies
May 8, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Cost of Secret Service for Trump Children Multiplies
Details' partial hotel and transportation bills the first month were $140K
- Secret Service protection for former President Trump's adult children is off to an expensive start. The first month after Trump's term ended, which included multiple trips and vacations for the Trump children and their spouses, cost the government at least $140,000 for transportation and hotel rooms, the...
Balk at 'Ghastly'
Mar 11, 2021 7:12 AM CST
McConnell, Other Lawmakers Balk at 'Ghastly' Capitol Security
'It reminds me of my last visit to Kabul,' Senate minority leader says of razor wire fencing
- A 10-foot-tall fence with razor wire surrounds the US Capitol, while thousands of National Guard troops have been patrolling the area ever since Jan. 6, when supporters of former President Trump staged a deadly insurrection over his false claims of election fraud. For Mitch McConnell, some of these security measures...
Think Trump Will Be
President on Thursday
Mar 3, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Conspiracy Theorists Think Trump Will Be President on Thursday
No expectation of violence, though Capitol Police will be on guard
- Capitol Police are boosting security in response to a far-right conspiracy theory claiming Donald Trump will again become president on Thursday. Some QAnon supporters believed Trump would declare martial law and remain in office on Jan. 20. But "when that didn't happen, the date was moved from Jan....
Warning for iPhone Users:
Update Your OS Right Away
Jan 27, 2021 11:20 AM CST
Warning for iPhone Users: Update Your OS Right Away
Apple says the same goes for iPad users, after security flaws 'may have been actively exploited'
- Apple products are known for being fairly resistant to security issues. But on Tuesday, the company released a handful of new security patches, part of its new iOS 14.4 software, and the company is now strongly encouraging its iPhone and iPad customers to update to the new OS ASAP....
Dr. Fauci to Get 'Enhanced'
Security After Threats
Apr 2, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Dr. Fauci to Get 'Enhanced' Security After Threats
Scientist on front lines against virus also getting 'unwelcome communications from fervent admirers'
- He's become one of the most familiar faces in the effort to fight the coronavirus—maybe a little too familiar. Justice Department officials said Wednesday that Dr. Anthony Fauci, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director who's become a household name due to his appearances at...
Ex-CIA: Russia Knows
Way More Than We Do
Dec 7, 2019 11:30 AM CST
Ex-CIA: Russia Knows Way More Than We Do
And that's allegedly because of President Trump's cell phone use
- Seems President Trump is ignoring his staff and continuing to make calls on his personal cell phone—which experts say can easily be overheard by foreign powers like Russia, CNN reports. This according to several current and former US officials who say he still uses his old cell phone rather...
Residents Won't Fund Cops.
Now, Untrained Volunteers
Dec 3, 2019 9:50 AM CST
Residents Won't Fund Cops. Now, Untrained Volunteers
Oregon town to be policed by locals without training, who can ID criminals by 'way they dress'
- A small town in Oregon plans to have a volunteer watch group monitor security cameras for criminals since residents refuse to raise taxes to fund a police force. Sheriff's deputies patrol Cave Junction, a town of 2,000 along US 199, during regular work hours Monday to Friday. At...
Protecting Betsy DeVos
Cost $6.24M This Year
Oct 2, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Protecting Betsy DeVos Cost $6.24M This Year
Cost will rise to almost $8M next year, according to US Marshals Service
- Providing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos with round-the-clock protection cost $6.24 million in fiscal 2019 and is projected to cost $7.87 million in the new fiscal year that started Tuesday, according to the US Marshals Service. Politico describes the security as "highly unusual," noting that the Education...
Zuckerberg Has New
Problem on His Hands:
His Security Chief
May 31, 2019 10:32 AM CDT
Zuckerberg Has New Problem on His Hands: His Security Chief
Liam Booth accused of sexual misconduct, as well as racist, sexist, homophobic remarks
- Two former employees of the household staff of Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, are lobbing some serious allegations against the power couple's security chief. First reported by Business Insider and confirmed by NBC News , Liam Booth, a former Secret Service agent, has been accused of making homophobic,...
Bill Is Staggering
Apr 13, 2019 11:58 AM CDT
Zuckerberg's Security Bill Is Staggering
Facebook spends $20M protecting Mark Zuckerberg and his family
- Mark Zuckerberg's base salary is nearly nothing—but try protecting him. The Facebook CEO's security bill reached $20 million as he went on "an apology tour" during the company's "year from hell," reports Business Insider . An SEC filing on Friday shows Facebook paid him...
Sep 26, 2018 11:38 AM CDT
Meghan Markle Closes Car Door, Internet Flips Out
- All eyes have been on Meghan Markle since her much-hyped nuptials to Prince Harry, with people commenting on what she wears , how they think she feels , and now—how she exits a car. The BBC and
report that the newest member of the royal family arrived Tuesday at London'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.